xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Title: Halo: Combat Evolved - Pal  (Read 200 times)

chris333

• Archived User
Title: Halo: Combat Evolved - Pal
« on: October 20, 2003, 10:35:00 AM »

TITLE: Halo: Combat Evolved - pal
PUBLISHER: MS Game Studios
DEVELOPER: Bungie Studios
DATE RELEASED: November 14, 2001
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1-2 for Campaign, 2-4 for Deathmatch on one XBOX
XBOX SYSTEM LINK: Up to 16 players with 4 Xbox`s
PRICE:£39

Introduction
One word can describe Halo's graphics and sound - Amazing. There is a never ending amount of detail in the game in terms of graphics and scale. From the moment the game first loads and you see the planet ring spinning you know something special is on the way. I have to say I was gob smacked when I first started to play Halo, not just because everything was smooth running, but simply because it was so far ahead 'graphically' of anything I have seen on both console and on pc...just about every surface is bump mapped, colors are vibrant, particle effects are all over the place, surfaces shine and glow I could go on and on about Halo's graphics because they really are first class.

One point that seems to have gone missing from a lot of previews/reviews of the game is the animation, it's wonderful, I really have been impressed by the way aliens move, defend, run away with their arms in the air screaming and fly through the air when I throw a grenade their way.

So what bad points are there graphic wise? Well sometimes there is slow down, the game is locked in at 30 frames per second, but that doesn't mean it stays like that all the way through the game, in some of the earlier missions I noticed a drop down to to what I would probably say was around 20 frames per second and thus the action started to feel a little disjointed, but this only lasted for a few seconds. This slow down tends to happen when there are a large number of vehicles on the screen, it doesn't however, happen when there are a whole load of aliens fighting you in first person mode, which is the way 95% of the game is played.

The sound can't be faulted one bit, playing the game is a joy to the ears with there being great speech, music and sounds. There are so many different things that the marines say, and they all speak in various languages such as American, Spanish etc which really adds to the atmosphere. The music starts off the game superbly right from the intro with a Gregorian Chant. If you have a Dolby 5.1 setup you are going to be in for a treat.

910 gameplay

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
Title: Halo: Combat Evolved - Pal
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 01:40:00 PM »

hmm.. mine...
TITLE: Halo: Combat Evolved
XBOX SYSTEM LINK: Up to 16 players with 4 Xbox's: only for Deathmatch
Retail Price: $49.99

and yours...
TITLE: Halo: Combat Evolved - pal
XBOX SYSTEM LINK: Up to 16 players with 4 Xbox`s
PRICE:£39

It's like I'm seeing double!  lol, jk man.  Good Pal Review!