xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Simpson's Hit And Run Ntsc  (Read 366 times)

death_driver_911

• Archived User
The Simpson's Hit And Run Ntsc
« on: April 16, 2004, 09:38:00 PM »

i thought the simpsons where a lot like gta and i was amazed by this game. i think that its a good game overall and you know what. all of the kids mommys who  wont let them play gta will let them play the simpsons just becuse noone shoots anyone (that i kno of)  <

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 01:25:00 AM »

QUOTE (death_driver_911 @ Apr 17 2004, 12:27 AM)
all of the kids mommys who  wont let them play gta will let them play the simpsons just becuse noone shoots anyone (that i kno of)

well there's always maggie shooting mr. burns but I don't think they put that in the game.  I myself am a HUGE simpson's fan and just loved all the references in it, some obvious like the bomb shelter in flanders' back yard (from the episode when the comet was going to hit springfield) and some not so obvious like the tumbled over salt silo in the distance when you are at the school (from the episode where the students were snowed in the school and homer crashed his car into the silo which had the salt melt the snow.

gameplay wise it wasn't the best but still alot of fun but the best thing is that they captured the feel of the show really well.  <

Damessiah

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 02:39:00 AM »

I'll be plain with you, this game isnt as great as its conveyed here. I suggest you dont buy it, it really isnt that funny as people say it is and although I am a Simpsons fan I didnt find it as entertaining as Id hoped.  <

XboxModder2K4

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 04:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (skabio @ Oct 18 2003, 01:34 AM)
TITLE: The Simpson’s Hit and Run NTSC
PUBLISHER: MS
DEVELOPER: Radical Entertainment
DATE RELEASED: 09/16/2003
Players: 1-4
ESRB: T

Me being a huge Simpson’s fan, it was hard to not be excited when this games release was announced.  I was a little apprehensive at first of course because of all the horrible games made based on this franchise’s name, with the one exception being the Simpson’s 4 player arcade game.

At first offset this game looks and plays a lot like a GTA rip off.  This is because you are free to roam each level and steal/borrow any car in the game.  Although it does owe a lot of its game play mechanics and even button layout to the GTA series, after playing a while you will see that it has a feel all its own.

The game itself is split up into 7 levels in which you play a different character from the Simpsons, including Bart, Lisa, Marge, Homer and Apu. Each level is setup as a different section of Springfield with locations from the various episodes.  The object of the game is to walk or drive your way around Springfield performing different tasks in the over all goal of finding out why the town is being infested with mechanical bees and mysterious black vans.  To accomplish these goals you will find yourself racing from place to place on timed runs, destroying rouge vehicles, and sometimes collecting various objects for different Springfield residents.  When you don’t feel like following the goals you can rampage your way around Springfield destroying mechanical bees, doing side races, collecting hidden cards, or just checking out the landmarks.  Throughout the game there are various things that you can do to collect coins to purchase vehicles or character outfits.  You get coins by destroying buzz cola vending machines, wooden crates, mechanical bees or just about anything you can run into.  You have to watch out how much damage you do because you have a damage meter and if it goes to high, Chef Wiggum will be there to pull you over and you will lose 50 coins.

Good Points:  There are a lot of great points to this game.  The main thing is that there is so much to do in each level other than the selected goals.  In each level you can win or purchase different cars that can be used on any level of the game.  Also each character can purchase different outfits, some that must be worn for different missions.  Just running around town and checking out the various sights from the episodes proves to be very fun.  There are also small gags you can do in different levels, as well as many different characters to interact with from the series.  The sound is one of the strongest points in the game, as each characters voice is done by the original voice actors.  The graphics although they are nothing spectacular are very nicely done 3D versions of their 2D counterparts.  

Bad Points:  It is hard to pick out things that detract from the enjoyment of the game but if I had to pick it would be this.  Throughout the game you will have some goals that involve you to race other cars.  Sometime when you rub into one of the other vehicles they tend to get almost stuck together for a short period of time.  Also I found that sometimes these races were too easy, as the opposing car would get stuck against a wall or pinned between cars thus allowing you to win the race without effort.

Overall I found this game to be extremely exciting.  For a Simpsons fan it was nice to see a game that was put together so well after so many missed tries.  If you are a fan of the Simpsons cartoon this is a must own game.  The score I gave this was an 8/10.  This is mainly due to two factors.  One, if your not a Simpsons fan you may not find anything original about this game.  Second, although there is so much to do in each level of the game I don’t see myself having a big impulse to replay it once I have completed everything.  Support the developers and buy this game.

Good job.  :lol:   <

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »

when this game first came out every one said that it was like GTA but it was NOTHING like GTA.
so you can move around a map thats not even that big, big deal, in gta you get guns and blow peoples heads off, and then you steal a car and run them over, but in this game you just hitch a ride with the guy, and when the cops chase you they bump into you and you lose coins ( how fun, not)
it wasn't funny, the show isn't funny either.  its way overrated
so if i were anyone of you i would not buy this game unless you were a simpsons fan  <

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

well as much I loved it I have to admit it's really only worth a rental.  It's too easy to get through and once the laughs and everything are over with, it gets repetitive and dull.  <

jesus_clone

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 03:23:00 AM »

i agree its not worth buying just a one time hire or maybe 2 depending how much you enjoyed it  <

Mr. Blonde

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »

I have to disagree, I really think it's worth a buy. If we don't support this game and show that we love it they might go back to making Simpsons Road Rages <shudders at the thought>  :lol:

I think it was a huge commercial sucess though, and it really is the best Simpsons game ever.

Anyone have sales figures on it?   <

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

you know what would be a good idea.....
a family guy video game  :lol:
that would blow the simpsons away  :lurk:   <

Snowfire

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »

Yes it would, but it would have to be rated M and they wouldn't make as much sales with an M rating.  But if they did make a Family Guy game, then it would just be boring because Hit and Run already ripped off GTA and every game is starting to do the same thing.  True Crime and even the new Spider-man 2 game have already ripped off the GTA concept of doing what you want to do.  I think these games are fun, but they are running out of ideas and people are starting to get bored.

EDITED:  What I'm basically saying is that these games are getting too predictable and people are bored of it.

This post has been edited by Snowfire: Aug 5 2004, 02:45 AM <

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »

how is spider-man ANYTHING like gta except that it's free roaming.  Gta created a new genre with free roaming, you wouldn't say madden is a rip off of the original football game for atari. But yes some games like truecrimes rip it in some ways, but simpsons played nothing like it gameplay-wise imo.  And Spider-man was as much of a "rip-off" of it than Morrowind was.  Free roaming is no longer gta-only, this is a great thing.  <

skabio

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 04:41:00 PM »

TITLE: The Simpson’s Hit and Run NTSC
PUBLISHER: MS
DEVELOPER: Radical Entertainment
DATE RELEASED: 09/16/2003
Players: 1-4
ESRB: T

Me being a huge Simpson’s fan, it was hard to not be excited when this games release was announced.  I was a little apprehensive at first of course because of all the horrible games made based on this franchise’s name, with the one exception being the Simpson’s 4 player arcade game.

At first offset this game looks and plays a lot like a GTA rip off.  This is because you are free to roam each level and steal/borrow any car in the game.  Although it does owe a lot of its game play mechanics and even button layout to the GTA series, after playing a while you will see that it has a feel all its own.

The game itself is split up into 7 levels in which you play a different character from the Simpsons, including Bart, Lisa, Marge, Homer and Apu. Each level is setup as a different section of Springfield with locations from the various episodes.  The object of the game is to walk or drive your way around Springfield performing different tasks in the over all goal of finding out why the town is being infested with mechanical bees and mysterious black vans.  To accomplish these goals you will find yourself racing from place to place on timed runs, destroying rouge vehicles, and sometimes collecting various objects for different Springfield residents.  When you don’t feel like following the goals you can rampage your way around Springfield destroying mechanical bees, doing side races, collecting hidden cards, or just checking out the landmarks.  Throughout the game there are various things that you can do to collect coins to purchase vehicles or character outfits.  You get coins by destroying buzz cola vending machines, wooden crates, mechanical bees or just about anything you can run into.  You have to watch out how much damage you do because you have a damage meter and if it goes to high, Chef Wiggum will be there to pull you over and you will lose 50 coins.

Good Points:  There are a lot of great points to this game.  The main thing is that there is so much to do in each level other than the selected goals.  In each level you can win or purchase different cars that can be used on any level of the game.  Also each character can purchase different outfits, some that must be worn for different missions.  Just running around town and checking out the various sights from the episodes proves to be very fun.  There are also small gags you can do in different levels, as well as many different characters to interact with from the series.  The sound is one of the strongest points in the game, as each characters voice is done by the original voice actors.  The graphics although they are nothing spectacular are very nicely done 3D versions of their 2D counterparts.  

Bad Points:  It is hard to pick out things that detract from the enjoyment of the game but if I had to pick it would be this.  Throughout the game you will have some goals that involve you to race other cars.  Sometime when you rub into one of the other vehicles they tend to get almost stuck together for a short period of time.  Also I found that sometimes these races were too easy, as the opposing car would get stuck against a wall or pinned between cars thus allowing you to win the race without effort.

Overall I found this game to be extremely exciting.  For a Simpsons fan it was nice to see a game that was put together so well after so many missed tries.  If you are a fan of the Simpsons cartoon this is a must own game.  The score I gave this was an 8/10.  This is mainly due to two factors.  One, if your not a Simpsons fan you may not find anything original about this game.  Second, although there is so much to do in each level of the game I don’t see myself having a big impulse to replay it once I have completed everything.  Support the developers and buy this game.

Vinpire

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 12:14:00 AM »

I love GTA, i love The Simpsons, this game was a dream...

which ended far too quickly. I played for maybe 10 hours in total and i have at least 90% completion on each level. In fairness i did play the game for a while after i completed it, due to my knowledge of the hidden Itchy 'n' Scratchy cartoon "500 Yard Gash". This is what you collect the cards for throughout the game. I had read in many a magazine that this feature was available once you collected all of the cards, i had not read anywhere though, that it was not really worth it. Don't get me wrong, this cartoon is good and (moderately) funny in the usual Itchy 'n' Scratchy style and also the animation is excellent, but having spent an hour or two running around like a maniac looking for my missing two cards was not worth the mediocre minute long cartoon they provided me with. A nice sideline to the game, i just wish they had put more into it, maybe a 3d rendition to match the rest of the game.

Aside from that minor detraction, it is an otherwise fantastic game. Everything from the "Car Borrowing" (Stealing is bad, kids) right down to Ralph sitting outside the observatory window eating a pot of glue, it all has that little Simpsons twist which makes it worthwhile.

Vince.