xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Halo2 GFX Comparison: Xbox vs Windows Vista  (Read 444 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Halo2 GFX Comparison: Xbox vs Windows Vista
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | April 26 00:00 EST | News Category: Xbox_Xbox360

From gamespot.com:

Halo2 for Vista doesn't include any new DirectX 10 features, but the platform switch alone will ensure that Halo 2 looks better on Windows Vista than on the Xbox. Going from 480p to PC resolutions will still give players a sharper picture and more detailed environments.

You can see the texture improvements by toggling the level-of-detail option in the video settings menu. According to the developers, setting the level of detail to low will reduce the textures down to the Xbox level. The Xbox 360 gave Halo 2 a slight image quality boost, but the graphics in the Vista port put the older version to shame. DirectX 9 hardware and more efficient shaders let the Windows Vista version of the game use more "cinematic" shader effects, such as environmental mapping and normal mapping during gameplay. Models will also retain high levels of detail rather than degrade down to low-polygon versions at far distances.

Halo 2 for Windows Vista definitely offers a visual upgrade over the Xbox version, but don't expect a DirectX 10-sized graphics leap. The graphics in the Vista port are a polished version of the original Xbox game.

Full Story: gamespot.com (with roll-over image comparisons)

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »

So that means it will work on Windows XP, and all the Vista is just hype blink.gif

jkh13

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Apr 26 2007, 04:13 PM) View Post

So that means it will work on Windows XP, and all the Vista is just hype blink.gif

they will release it only on vista probably, just like geometry wars. Hopefully someone will crack the security and allow it to be run on xp though, just like geometry wars.

kermit007

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »

Wow, what a shocker. Guess MS has no real desire to sell a whole ton of Halo 2 for PC. The move to Vista only is just a slap in the face. If they'd made it DX10 it might be something that could be overlooked. It's not even going to use anything Vista specific other than bitching you aren't on board with the MS mandated upgrade cycle. One more reason I'm typing this from a Macbook. PC games are going downhill in short order here. Never believed the mantra until just lately with Windows Live (I've played PC games for too long to pay for the honor of a matchmaking service on MY machine), and this Halo 2 development.

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »

Hmm, basically, they just use high-res textures, and normal maps instead of bump maps?

47_M450N_47

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »

Sucks that this is only for Vista, personally I like XP SP2 better.  I'll probably just keep XP and run Vista through a virtual PC for whatever I might need it for in the future.  I do like the idea of being able to play Halo 2 on the PC though, I might actually be able to beat it on something other than normal.  Are they going to charge $60 for it or will it be more reasonably priced?

l0tics

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »

Ugh, I hope no one here looked at the comments there. You'll become retarded if you do. They seem to think that gamespot screwed with the xbox pics to make them look worse, when in fact that's just how bad 480p actually looks.

bigmac_375

• Recovered User
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »

with no dx10, why only release on vista. i like xp, dont need vista ,thanks.

zX_Storm

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »

This is sort of depressing. It seems like all they talk about is graphics. What happened to real games and gamers? I guess they no longer get the attention from gaming companies. Graphics don't make a game, Microsoft. Sigh. What a disgrace to "leaping forward".

QUOTE(bigmac_375 @ Apr 26 2007, 03:09 PM) View Post

with no dx10, why only release on vista. i like xp, dont need vista ,thanks.

Because it's the only way they can get gamers to buy Vista.

HansiHusten

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »

i bet some release groups will modificate it somehow to run on XP, i hope so wink.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »

Wheres the Halo 2 running on Xbox 360 VS PC pics...  muhaha.gif

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 02:10:00 PM »

Looks awesome...

I got Vista for free, so I'll be playing Halo 2 tongue.gif

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(quall @ Apr 26 2007, 08:46 AM) *
Hmm, basically, they just use high-res textures, and normal maps instead of bump maps?

Halo 2 did use normal mapping, IIRC.  Halo 2 came out a little bit after the normal mapping flagship title, Riddick.  

Halo 1 didn't have normal mapping, only bump mapping.

I'll probably be getting this, seeing as how I prefer FPS's on PC, but only if you can play online with a silver membership.

I wish they'd make an openGL version of this...but we all know that ain't gonna happen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Apr 26 2007, 10:08 PM

Antinous-ODY

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »

does anyone know if they changed the FOV for pc?? I remember playing Halo 1 on pc it looked different from xbox.. that could just be because I was sitting much closer

Tony42077

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 26 2007, 09:16 PM) View Post

Wheres the Halo 2 running on Xbox 360 VS PC pics...  muhaha.gif

My thoughts exactly, I haven't played H2 on my Xbox since the 360 came out. The graphics and textures are much better on the 360. It doesn't make a lot of sense to compare a game on hardware from 2001 and 2007.
Pages: [1] 2