xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 10 Reasons Why I Switched To Xlink From Xbl  (Read 561 times)

I Moose I

• Archived User
10 Reasons Why I Switched To Xlink From Xbl
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(BCfosheezy @ Sep 7 2006, 08:41 AM) View Post

Ok great. You fail to state why these people MUST play on XBL to be any good. You fail to state how the quality of a custom game on live is better than a custom game on XLink. You also fail to state how someone who pays $50.00 a year for a service is instantly better than someone who plays the same exact game for free.

Take the pros for instance. They all play on XBL. I've never seen a pro spotted on Xlink Kai. I'm sure there are some good players, but just not the magnitude of XBL. Do I have any hard facts to back this up? No I don't.

You're not fooling anyone here. IF you had that many friends on at that time, it is guaranteed that you do not know each of these indivuals personally. It is a given that nobody knows enough people in real life that not only have an xbox BUT play Halo2 AND have Live. Sorry, that's unheard of. You may have met these people in matchmaking and made them your friends, but that's no different than meeting people on XLink and adding them to your friends list. Again, you have no legs to stand on.

Two I knew in real life, and the others I met somewhere along the line. I do have around 25 of my friends on XBL (believe it or not, theres really nothing to be proven here)

By your definition, or anyone's definition, Halo2 is the determining factor. Once the game is established it runs the exact same no matter what service joined you. You're directly connected to each other with nothing else in between. The only determining factor is host.
Not necessarily so. Let me just go ahead and paste this quote from the Bungie article that I previously posted. Obviously nobody took the time to read it:

"Some of the worst abuses that games that don't use 3rd party controlled dedicated servers suffer from involve taking advantage of being the host. If you want a solid game, want to be sure that that host doesn't end it just as you're about to score and win, you need to host yourself. Of course not everyone's bandwidth supports this, and of course if everyone could host then no one would join anyone else's game, and so most players are left at the host's mercy. This is one of the biggest hurdles many games face, but Halo 2 dispenses with these problems. First, the matchmaking system determines the host automatically and invisibly (this is true for all Halo 2 games, not just matchmade). Second, the host of a matchmade game has no option to end the game, all he can do is leave the game. Finally, if the host leaves, powers off, loses his connection, whatever, a new host is automatically chosen and the game continues without him (we call this host migration)."

This pretty much sums up and defeats every argument you've tried to make throughout. Unfortunately, we all know the matchmaking system can be defeated and manipulated so someone can ensure that they are host.

Let me give you a little food for thought. Someone starts a game and there is not one available so Live sets them as host. Others join their game. Then the host quits. Is there now no host? Of course not. Live picks another person to be host.

With my example with the two teams of four, if one team would happen to quit, if they were host, the other team would either get sent back to step one, and it would happen all over again, or they would remain in the game and the host would still go to that team. Bungie's example probably is true if everybody goes in alone, (again I'm not certain), but for the 4v4, the team host is almost always the one who remains/stays in the pregame lobby, despite what they try to tell you about. There is some room for error, obviously it doesn't always work. For what reason, I'm not sure (standbying for host would be one).

Then why have you argued with me all along? That's my original argument.

My original statement was just trying to help those out who claim to get cheated often. I never said I enjoyed the ranks. I enjoy the competition, and would want to play with players of my ability, but I couldn't care less about a number by my name.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]