xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox S-video Cables  (Read 62 times)

hiredmuscle

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« on: December 09, 2002, 03:44:00 PM »

I was thinking of getting an s-video output adapter for my xbox.  The MS one is $30 cdn and I still have to buy cables.  The monster cable is over 70 here, but the Mad Catz s-video cable is only 20 bucks.

I'm just wondering does anyone have one these cheaper mad catz cables and is the quality going to improve much over the standard composite cables.

gainpresence

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 03:49:00 PM »

well, here, the MS Advanced AV pack is $20 and it comes with the Svideo cable and Sterio Cables (not the optical one though).. The quality definitely improved.

M@verick

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 03:59:00 PM »

my advanced AV pack came with S-video and optical audio here in the US

gainpresence

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 04:02:00 PM »

i wish i had gotten the optical ones with it, they're expensive..

Ace25

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 04:10:00 PM »

Here in the U.S., in Santa Barabara California's CompUSA, the MS Advanced Pack is $19.99, comes with RCA audio and S-Video and Optical port, but NO optical cable. Still, best deal there is. Monster is a HUGE waste of $, you will NEVER see the difference.. S-Video is better than composite and I would say its a must have (At least S-Video, Component if you can use it). It is the same price for S-Video or Component AV Pack.

hiredmuscle

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2002, 04:20:00 PM »

thanks for the info.  I guess I'll just get the "genuine" ms one then.  Unless anybody else has tried the mad catz knockoff.

b0ink

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2002, 04:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (Ace25 @ Dec 10 2002, 12:04 AM)
Monster is a HUGE waste of $, you will NEVER see the difference..

Depends on your display.  A friend of mine has a huge HD tv, I think it is a Mitsubishi (sp).  Anyway, he is using component connection now but was using SVido.  He had a monster cable and the one that came with the AV pack.  While the difference was not huge it *was* noticable.  While the picture was not sharper with the monster cable the color seemed better.... cleaner.  To me the difference was no where near enough to warrent the price of the monster cable.  However, if you are one of those people that have to have perfection it may be.

FYI.. A good alternatve to Monster cables are made by Acoustic Research.  They are very high quality cables at a good price.  I think they currently have a pack that has a S-Video and an Optical cable for around $45.  The Best Buy near me carries the brand.                                    

This post has been edited by b0ink: Dec 10 2002, 12:47 AM

vwadam

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2002, 10:09:00 PM »

bottom line:

it (svideo) makes a big difference on a bigger sized tv. if you only got a 24" you dont need it (for picture anyway, 5.1 is another matter and totally worth it on its own)  my tv isnt extreme but its 35" and with the rca cables i notice bluring at the edges of graphics and objects... like if there was a square on the screen i would see slight flashing/fuzz around the edge. on my 24" i dont see this.

next, 100% forget monster cable. biggest prestige pricing crap of any console system. not worth it at all. get the madcatz one or the original xbox one.

now if you have dolby digital 5.1 sound stop reading now and run out and buy buy buy. this is one of the best xbox exclusive features that you can brag to your friends about :)

the_Watchers_eye

• Archived User
Xbox S-video Cables
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 04:37:00 AM »

The monster cables are probably the best ones, however  they are way too expensive. Probably best if you know someone who sells them or someone who works in a store that sells them. For example here in the UK my brother who works for a national retailer can get them half price. All staff at this retailer can get them half price.

I am thinking of getting an RGB cable instead of S Video.