xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Fried Computer?  (Read 83 times)

burd87

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« on: December 07, 2002, 09:29:00 PM »

Hey I recently have been having trouble with my computer.  First, for a while my computer has been just randomly restarted itself in the middle of me doing something.  That really pissed me off.  That began getting worse and worse.  But now, my computer turns on (all the lights turn on) but nothing seems to happen.  The monitor doesn't recognize a connnection and nothing seems to be going on inside of the computer (no hard drive spinning).  I was wondering if maybe it is fried or what.  If anyone has any ideas please give me your input.

Thanks,

Dan

iam

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 09:37:00 PM »

Maybe just a power supply failure... Are your fans spinning when you power it up ? If not you will need a new Power supply...

burd87

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 09:42:00 PM »

you dont think that i fried my motherboard or something really serious like that?

What would cause my power supply to fail in the first place?                                    

This post has been edited by burd87: Dec 8 2002, 05:45 AM

iam

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 09:45:00 PM »

I don't think so...

Can you see/hear the power supply runs ?

The fans ??

Does it beep when you start it ? If so, what kind of beeps, long, short, single, multiple ?

Why would your mobo be fried ? Did you do anything weird with it ?

cykiller

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 09:51:00 PM »

ok if it is restarting itslef like u stated then it's not the power as iam stated. did this just start happening or has been doing this since u had the pc?? also when i changed from dsl to cable internet the installer told me i couldn't use nic and had to go through usb, but the usb kept restarting my pc for whatever reason, but i hooked it up through nic myself (network major) and just isolated cpu from xbox that's another story, well are u using cable through usb??

I would just backup to a date this started happening, probrably just software prob.

:evil:

knowledgeiv

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 09:52:00 PM »

Check to see if the fan on the CPU heatsink is spinning.  It could be that it kept overheating until it was toast.

burd87

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 09:53:00 PM »

well my first question would be if the front lights on the computer go on wouldnt that mean that the power supply is working in some way?  

I thought maybe I could have fried the mobo when I put in a 30 gig drive but never closed the case and just left the case open with the drive hanging out for like 5 min.  Do you think that this could have screwed me over?

regulater7

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2002, 09:53:00 PM »

wow thats wierd, not even kidding, my sis called me yesterday for the same problem... lights go on, but no hd spining or anything. shes lives in washington so i cant help her tell X-mas, but they both sound like powersupply failure, even though you get lights, sounds like power supply just is bad, it wont kick out enough juice, nothing much then to power some LEDS.

burd87

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2002, 09:55:00 PM »

yea cykiller,  my computer doesn't even start up now so im sure it aint a software problem but instead a pretty serious hardware issue.

regulater7

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2002, 09:56:00 PM »

try replacing PS, even if the MB is fried , its prolly from a power surge so the power supply is prolly bad anyway.... then just replace parts from there... PS,CPU,MB,RAM.... nothing else should really effect it unless some CARD is complety FUCKEDDDDDDDDDD some how, but i dont know hoe a BAD soundcard or something could do that.

burd87

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2002, 09:59:00 PM »

yea i originally thought that maybe it was a power supply failure.  But then i thought that maybe when i did that crazy hd hanging out of the case stunt i may have fried the mobo.  I will try a new power supply.

cykiller

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2002, 10:08:00 PM »

damn it doesn't start up!! i thought u meant it just restarts. good luck with power supply, maybe the hd touched something and did some power damage. ;)

:evil:

jman11587

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 10:04:00 AM »

wow, thats so weird.  my cousin, had the same problem when i was at his house 2 weeks ago.  he did the same "HD sticking out the side," thing.  he is pretty good with computers but still hasnt been able to fix it.  

he has pretty much the same symptoms too (lights go on and fans spin but nothing else)

i also noticed that when i was there his router was also screwed
so im thinking a surge or something.  maybe that helps burd.

i'll post back if he ever gets it resolved.

good luck burd.   ;)

Dark Schneider

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2002, 10:28:00 AM »

Ok lets do this the old fashion way.

Disconnect EVERYTHING within the computer. Except the power/reset button cables from the case to the mobo.

Take out every card within the system except for the video card.

If you have a spare case lying around that is compatible with your mobo, plug it's power supply into the connections onboard. Don't forget to plug in the reset/power lines that run to the cases front buttons though. ATX boards will not boot up unless these are connected. If it runs, then that's your answer if not.................

Check all connections from the computer case to the mobo.

Make sure the power/reset lines are correctly hooked into the computer from the case.

Smell the power supply! No shit..take a whiff, if it smells like ionized particles it is toast. You will immediately notice the smell/tingle on your tongue. No don't french kiss it!

Now plug in the power supply and make sure the motherboard is not loose, or touching any part of the case with it's underside.

Try turning the system back on with the video plugged in. If it starts up, then shut down the system and reconnect your HDD making sure the dips are set at the right setting.
Turn the system back on again. Repeat this for every piece that you disconnected. It won't take long and will help to isolate the problem.

Now if it does not start and you are SURE the powersupply is plugged in correctly, then remove the entire motherboard from the case and place it on a piece of cardboard. Make sure the case connections are correctly setup for the power and rest buttons on the case, and try starting the system up with only the video card attached and connect to the monitor. If it boots, you have a grounding problem in the case, and must make sure the little "feet" that support the board a re securely placed, and that the mobo is scewed down snug..not tight!

If that does not do anything....

Check the CPU itself. Take the HS off of it and look for brownout/electrical discharge or heat damage. Remove the processor itself and reseat it making sure it is snug. Replace the HS ontop of the proc. I recommend putting some arctic silver 3 on it if you can later verify that it was not the cpu.

Let us know how it goes.

This post has been edited by Dark Schneider: Dec 9 2002, 09:42 PM

Dark Schneider

• Archived User
Fried Computer?
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2002, 10:31:00 AM »

Also did you just flash your BIOS...no..not the XBOX! The computer!