xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Might Have To Go Back To The Ps2 Version  (Read 627 times)

XboxOwnsAll

• Archived User
Might Have To Go Back To The Ps2 Version
« on: June 08, 2005, 09:22:00 AM »

I know exactly what you mean.  Next try to target a new target after you've selected another.  You gotta press the white/black buttons.  Who came up with this control scheme?  They should have made A = DRIVE, B = Brake, and Right analog pressed down = handbrake.  Then make the left/right triggers = look left/right.

Do you realize how difficult the flying missions are going to be?  Like the one where you gotta fly the plane close to the ground so that you don't get picked up by radar.

Shudder

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »

Wait.. so wh/bl changes targets.. how do you change weapons then?  Weapons are wh/bl right?  Or do you have to take off the targeting first? (PS2 might be the same way, I don't remember)

The flying thing is why I want to cheat and drop in some planes.  If they're not easy to control I'm most certainly done.  As it stands now I'm not happy about drive-bys sucking balls.  It'd be ok if you could configure the controls like in the other one, but you're stuck with their (IMO Shitty) default.

I think the only way I'd buy the game (rented it) is if they update it somehow so you can reconfigure things.  I quit playing the PS2 one for nothing I'm starting to think

XboxOwnsAll

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 09:53:00 AM »

I think that once you target a person, you can't switch weapons.  But yeah white/black do switch weapons.  Dude, right now I'm using a PS2 converter so I can plug in my PS2 controller into my Xbox because the controls are so F'd.  And it's still VERY difficult to figure out what you gotta do.

Shudder

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »

Guess I'll just have to play an hour of each and make a final decision.  That's too bad, I was so looking forward to SA after playing and preferring VC and 3 on the xbox.

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 11:18:00 AM »

I think the GFX are worse. Reviews have said the same thing. There are more detailed textures, but what good are they when everything is blurred and aliasied to hell. Rockstar was about as lazy on this port as Konami was on the Metal Gear Solid 2 port.  rolleyes.gif

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Shudder @ Jun 8 2005, 01:35 PM)
Really?  I think they're sharper and the framerate is more consistent and better.

There are plenty of reviews that back my comment up. Just read the first page of the gamespot review. It looks fine in 480i, but when playing in 480p it looks the way I said. I know I could play it on 480i instead of 480p, but have you ever played a 480i game on a 52 inch HDTV, its not fun. The image looks like crap and leaves "trails" everywhere and will remind you of first gen PS2 games.  laugh.gif

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

The PS2 one was great. The controller was better for this game. I think I am going to get the PC version because those are the best. I have 3 and Vice city modded to hell on the PC.  beerchug.gif

n00bFRAGGER

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Shudder @ Jun 8 2005, 01:43 PM)
Ahh.. see, I don't have an H/EDTV yet.

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(n00bFRAGGER @ Jun 8 2005, 02:58 PM)
Ugggh.. Don't mention "EDTV"... all it is is a crappy rip off of High definition...

themadman123

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 03:11:00 PM »

Ugggh.. Don't mention "EDTV"... all it is is a crappy rip off of High definition...

tongue.gif
No, you mean it was just a horrible movie..... tongue.gif

Shudder

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »

Well, on the PS2 you hit L2/R2 to look left/right which is easy to do.  PS2's buttons are closer, so holding X to drive (usually I'm coasting for drive bys anyway) and hitting O to fire is quite easy.

On xbox now you have to hit w/bl to look l/r AND hit A or B to fire.  Quite a distance there.  And of course to look back you have to hit bl + wh, which isn't easy on xbox, but is easy to hit L2 and R2 at the same time on the PS2.

The stick is friggin worthless as a camera.  who cares?  I wish they made it look like in hte double pack

iwannadie

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Shudder @ Jun 8 2005, 06:23 PM)
Well, on the PS2 you hit L2/R2 to look left/right which is easy to do.  PS2's buttons are closer, so holding X to drive (usually I'm coasting for drive bys anyway) and hitting O to fire is quite easy.

On xbox now you have to hit w/bl to look l/r AND hit A or B to fire.  Quite a distance there.  And of course to look back you have to hit bl + wh, which isn't easy on xbox, but is easy to hit L2 and R2 at the same time on the PS2.

The stick is friggin worthless as a camera.  who cares?  I wish they made it look like in hte double pack

ya the xbox version doesnt sound very good at all, ill have to wait untill i play it. i dont think hitting black+white together is a big deal but im sure it will prove to be annoying enough. but im alredy hating the ps2 controlls not sure if i can hate them anymore.

Shudder

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »

Actually I think I'm going to stick with the PS2 version.  I put myself through hell (you know, playing games for hours), played the PS2 one for an hour and then the xbox one.

In all honesty I think the controls even themselves out.

To shoot on the xbox you hit white + A to look and shoot left, bl + B to shoot right (technically you can hit black and A and white and b, but it's not easy to do).  So your index fingers get to drive back and forth while only your thumb is needed to shoot.  It's not the easiest, but if you put your thumb joint on Wh and the thumb tip on A, it's not that difficult.

For the PS2 you have to hit L2 or R2 to look, X to drive, and O to shoot.  Or if you have to reverse, you have to hit [ ] to go backwards and O to shoot.  Sure you can hit L1 to shoot, but that puts 2 buttons in use (L1 and L2) which kinda sucks.

After playing both I honestly think it's easier to do drivebys in Xbox.  It's not easy to press both buttons at first, but your right thumb ends up all over the place on the PS2 version.

It's easy to eggerate how bad the controls are, but after sitting down and seeing how they were in the PS2 one I realized they're both kidna bad, but the xbox is less bad.  The only advantage the PS2 has in controls is with the rudder and reverse looking in the car- it's L2/R2 and bl/wh (press both for reverse looking) for the ps2 and xbox respectively.  Thankfully it's not used that much and is easy to do while flying (you won't be pressing it over and over, just a second or two press for turning).

Couple that with the bad framerate and overdone haze with the PS2 version, and when I say framerate issues I mean real serious issues, the xbox version comes out on top.

Yeah I was a little baby, but I'm glad I played each in depth with flying and drive bys to make a decision I can live with smile.gif

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

Well I got the PC version. All I have to say is fuck the PS2 and xbox version, they suck serious ass compared to it. Yum, eye-candy. Full AA and full draw distance are nice.  cool.gif  Plus I can configure the controls to use a mouse/keyboard or dual analog force feedback controller.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »

fanboy...  beerchug.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3