xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Odd Question But Just Curious About A Pirating Question  (Read 399 times)

dxmmasterxx

• Archived User
Odd Question But Just Curious About A Pirating Question
« on: September 18, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

so ive been reading about piracy and all that and i was wondering, i own phantasy star online but it wont play because i cant get xbox live and cant figure out how to patch it, is it consider illegal if i download an iso of the game i already have, only this iso having a patch installed?

This post has been edited by dxmmasterxx: Sep 18 2011, 10:41 PM

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »

Yes. I see this question/assumption come up all the time. Lots of people, for whatever reason, assume that it is OK to download an ISO of a game if they own a copy of said game. It is still illegal.

I would suggest doing a google search for the patch tool that was used to patch the game, if one exists, or asking for help here regarding patching the game yourself.

In the end, no one can stop you from doing what you want. You could download the ISO, however you would be on your own if you were to have any issues getting it to work. The guys here that are "in the know" won't help you with it.

Regards

This post has been edited by xboxmods2977: Sep 19 2011, 04:20 PM

dxmmasterxx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »

thanks i do appreciate the answer though, i mean i can see why its illegal because its not my actual game im downloading but in the end all i have is a back up copy of my game

Joes2Silly

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »

Technically isn't it also illegal to make backups of games you own?

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(Joes2Silly @ Oct 1 2011, 06:10 AM) View Post

Technically isn't it also illegal to make backups of games you own?

i think its in breich of the EULA that comes with games but the EULA is breiching your statutory rights as a consumer so its kind of a grey area.
No one is going to try and prossicute any one for backing up their own software because the eula is breiching your rights so they wouldnt ever win any case the took to court. But you did agree to the terms of the contract even though you were given no other option.
So like i said its a grey area. but one that the companys arent going to do anything about because they know its wrong.
If you backed up your game then sold the original, or renteed a game and made a backup of that, or even more greasy.. Backed up your game and sold copys on dvd. Then you would definatly be breaking the law.
Dont know if that helps clarify anything (i honestly doubt it did)