xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Know What This Is? Ms Xbox Prototype / Preview Disc?  (Read 317 times)

pepsi_max2k

• Archived User
Anyone Know What This Is? Ms Xbox Prototype / Preview Disc?
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »

Got hold of this along with some other stuff. Never seen one before and it looks quite neat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://inaudible.co.uk/temp/driverpre.jpg)

Text reads:

IG05602W-IG-T
05-27-04
MICROSOFT CONFIDENTIAL

This program is protected by the U.S. copyright laws
and international treaties. Copyright © 2004
All rights reserved. Not for resale.

Manufactured by TC CA.

It's a functioning xbox game disc, containing a fully playable release of Driv3r / Driver 3. Given the date (just before the official D3 release) I'm guessing a preview disc sent to MS to evaluate the game before licensing it? Now if only I had one for Shenmue II it might acatually be worth something  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (no seriously, I love driver, I'm keeping it  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ).

Skye

• Archived User
Anyone Know What This Is? Ms Xbox Prototype / Preview Disc?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 12:28:00 AM »

Well, if you're sure the game is there in full it's most likely a review copy of the game for a magazine or shop display.

Unfortunately, (p)review discs get sold on eBay et al all the time, usually for much less than the price of the retail game, so they aren't considered that collectable. This is because they are full review copies of the game, so there is nothing to gain from owning it (they often look more bland and have no proper case, manual or artwork).

While some better games like, for example, Shenmue II might fetch a bit more, you wouldn't get that much for it unless it was a prototype rather than a (p)review disc. Unless the game in question never goes on to be released. Good examples I can think of are... Rent-a-Hero No. 1 for the Xbox, Half-Life for the Dreamcast and Sonic Xtreme for the Saturn.

Still though, they are undoubtedly rarer than retail versions, and if one amassed a large collection of them I'd be pretty envious!