xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do I Remove The Main Xbox Fan?  (Read 72 times)

krooks

• Archived User
How Do I Remove The Main Xbox Fan?
« on: October 30, 2002, 12:03:00 AM »

I'm going through the tutorial on xbox-scene to swap the fans, but can't figure out how to take out the main fan.  Can someone tell me what to do?  Do I need to move the motherboard?

ta.

socrates

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 08:27:00 AM »

I think you can do it without removing the motherboard but it would probley be alot easier if you did, just make sure to unplug the fans little wire from the board before you remove the board.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 08:30:00 AM »

If you are talking about the CASE Fan I don't quit remember but I believe it's just held down by the plastic "ear" clips.

If you are talking about the CPU, unlatch the hold down, then pry the legs out SLIGHTLY until you can work them over the catch.

The GPU fan just unscrews.

Greystorm

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 01:36:00 AM »

I'd be careful about replacing the main fan with a low CFM 60mm one. The Xbox fan is a custom 70mm model that pushes around 30CFM (mine is anyway, it's an NMB fan Model number: 2810KL-04W-B50. 33.5dB 3800rpm 52.8m3/hr).

If you're in a warmer climate (like I am being in Australia) then you'll need to take care that you don't reduce the effectiveness of your cooling too much.

I'm looking at putting an 80mm fan in that does around 25cfm at 19dB but it will take a bit of case modding to do it and I wonder if it's worth it for a few dB.

Oh yeah, to remove it, you take out the hard disk and dvdrom trays, then using a small flat head screwdriver, lever out the black plastic clips and pull up. It pops out easily and doesn't use screws to be held in

slappynutz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2002, 03:39:00 AM »

I've been wondering about doing the same thing myself. I have a spare Vantec Stealth Fan that's 80mm, pushes 27CFM and produces only 21dBA noise. If the current fan is really 70mm I won't bother with a swap if it requires modding the case. Too bad.

krooks

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2002, 08:56:00 AM »

thx Greystorm!  Im not too worried, living in the UK, nice and cold at the mo!