xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Might Have To Settle For A Psp ...  (Read 467 times)

MysticalJet

• Archived User
I Might Have To Settle For A Psp ...
« on: December 16, 2005, 04:22:00 PM »

Cool little toy.  Fun to travel with.  Not sure it's worth $250.

krustytheclown

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »

Ok. And why is this in this forum?

MysticalJet

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »

Figure some of you all own one ... is it worth it.  Doesn't look like I will be able to get my hands on a 360, so need to give the wife an idea of what to get.

TVR_Fan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

PSP is worth the money, it is the greatest handheld ever now. Sony has been able to do what many companies have not been able to do, which is become better then the GameBoy brand.

While being able to take sales away from iPod, since the PSP will be able to do more in the future. Like text editor, so you could put your shopping on it. Also the PSP will be able to translate stuff in the future, plus while it is not running at full power.

It will be next year, so the games will run more smoother. You can also buy a 4GB HDD for it, there is of talk of a PSP2 coming out soon.

Plus more talk has been going around saying there will be a HDD version of the PSP out next year, other then being able to play games. It is a great music device, and an even greater Mobile video device. Which is still the must have device to watch videos on, it is even better then the iPod video for viewing videos.

One more thing PSP also won the best Gadget of 2005 award in Stuff Mag.

Just remembered something else the PSP has a web broswer aswell, plus it will get small webcams soon. With that will bring the chat program for PSP, which Sony are working on.

Chux

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(TVR_Fan @ Dec 16 2005, 06:42 PM) View Post

PSP is worth the money, it is the greatest handheld ever now. Sony has been able to do what many companies have not been able to do, which is become better then the GameBoy brand.

While being able to take sales away from iPod, since the PSP will be able to do more in the future. Like text editor, so you could put your shopping on it. Also the PSP will be able to translate stuff in the future, plus while it is not running at full power.

It will be next year, so the games will run more smoother. You can also buy a 4GB HDD for it, there is of talk of a PSP2 coming out soon.

Plus more talk has been going around saying there will be a HDD version of the PSP out next year, other then being able to play games. It is a great music device, and an even greater Mobile video device. Which is still the must have device to watch videos on, it is even better then the iPod video for viewing videos.

One more thing PSP also won the best Gadget of 2005 award in Stuff Mag.

Just remembered something else the PSP has a web broswer aswell, plus it will get small webcams soon. With that will bring the chat program for PSP, which Sony are working on.

The PSP had a lot of things going for it, but they dropped the ball tremendously.  I have one, and have had it since launch, hell I traded in my DS for it.  One thing they say though, jack of all trades, master of nothing, and that's the PSP.  

Sure it's a powerhouse when compared to the DS, sure I've watched movies on flights and listen to music sometimes.  When it comes down to the games, it's severely lacking.  I'm keeping mine at 1.5 because I'd rather play SNES, NES, Genesis, Gameboy etc, than say GTA...  Sony didn't want you to do that, so they can't take credit for that.  If you're looking at real games, then the DS recently trounces it.  The back library of the GBA alone is enough to put the DS over the top, but add on the lower price point along with Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Castlevania, Mario and Luigi, whatever else (Nintendogs sold a lot of DS's if I'm not mistaken).

That being said, when MKDS came out, I bought another DS.  My psp has been collecting dust since then.

Both are good, DS is just getting my attention right now.

TVR_Fan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »

I may buy another PSP but in white, when the prices come down. To like £100 and then keep it in its box, while locking it away for future years.

You never no it might be a collectors item in 15 years time, think of the money that it would be worth it. Must say when I got my PSP, i was the first one. To get mine in Woolworths near me, I even waited an hour before it opened. Shame I dropped it while it was spinning and flying like a meter of 2 across the ground.

Then again it lived, its strange the screen scratchs way too easy, but when it falls on the ground. It lives, still blame PSM mag. For making such a bad neck holder for my PSP, then again there was a fault in it.

Which I fixed by giving it a old camera loop hole, which was done around the bit where the holder you get with the PSP. Which can go around you wrist.

Jonm888

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »

I would rather wait for an xbox 360 than get a psp.  PSP's have three high quality games, Madden, GTA and Lumines.  Every other game is sub par.  While you can watch DVD's and mp3's on it, but I don't think that's a reason to get one. Also Chux makes it sound like if you wait on a PSP there are a lot of new things coming out, so you might be upgrading shortly after you buy it.

Chux

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »

By this time if you buy a PSP you're getting a 2.0, 1.5's can run homebrew/emulators right now.  There's a downgrader but I wouldn't want to do that every time I want to go either to 1.50 or from 1.50.

I'm sure it'll be fine this time next year (That's what happened with the DS), but right now it's not worth it.

Jason9875

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 05:18:00 PM »

A 2.0 PSP can play homebrew.

Anyway the games I have for PSP that I found really fun and worth the money:

ATV Offroad Furry Blazin Trails
Metal Gear Ac!d
Grand Theft Auto Liberty city Stories

And I plan to add Socom to that list.

Anyway I thought it was worth the money, and I just love ATV offroad furry. That game just pwns.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Chux

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jason9875 @ Dec 16 2005, 07:18 PM) View Post

A 2.0 PSP can play homebrew.

Anyway the games I have for PSP that I found really fun and worth the money:

ATV Offroad Furry Blazin Trails
Metal Gear Ac!d
Grand Theft Auto Liberty city Stories
And I plan to add Socom to that list.

Anyway I thought it was worth the money, and I just love ATV offroad furry. That game just pwns.  ph34r.gif

Yeah, I said it could with the downgrader.  As for games, yeah ATV is fun, AC!D is great, and I like Wipeout... but I wouldn't buy it if it didn't have homebrew.

retep9990

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 05:22:00 PM »

psp is really good if you willing to spend money on it. i have a psp with a 32 bit memory card adn one game and its not fun but if u get a gig memory card and games and all this stuff u can do mad fun things with it but u gotta spend to get all that really cool stuff

BamElementCH

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chux @ Dec 16 2005, 07:19 PM) View Post

Yeah, I said it could with the downgrader.  As for games, yeah ATV is fun, AC!D is great, and I like Wipeout... but I wouldn't buy it if it didn't have homebrew.

You can play homebrew on 2.0 without downgrading. There's an EBOOT loader. Granted it doesn't play all homebrew, but most of your emulators will work.

sniper11

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »

I have had PSP since launch and realy like it i just got socom for it and cant stop playing it

itsame

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 07:12:00 PM »

I'm going to sell my PSP and get a DS. The only game I liked on PSP was Lumines and I refuse to buy UMD movies for it.

soul-assassin

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »

If you can afford it, the PSP is definately worth it. The graphics are unrivaled in a hand held device. But it is true, there are still a small amount of great games at this time. However, I'm not impressed with all of the remakes the DS keeps churning out. Hell, I still have my NES and SNES, I don't need to re-buy portable versions of games I've already owned for years. Just play a copy of Ridge Racer on a DS, then play it on the PSP. It's like comparing an 8-track tape to a Super Audio CD, there is no comparison. I say if you want a huge library of sub-par games with horrific graphics at a relatively cheap price, go with a DS. But if you want the most bang for your buck, get a PSP.
Pages: [1] 2