xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is This Legal?  (Read 111 times)

SweBaztard-SmartXX

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »

What if i have a retail Halo2... and my friend comes over with his xbox for a sys link match.. can i burn the game and let him play the original and i play the backup? I know that would'nt stop me, but i'm just curious.

SOLO-X

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:18:00 AM »

As far as I know there is no law that can stop you from making & playing a back up of a game that you legally purchased & own

SweBaztard-SmartXX

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »

SO if i were in the US. my friend would not be allowed to use my backup-disc in my house?

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »

You have a license to play/use one and only one copy by yourself. If you created a backup and played it without doing anything with the original, it would be OK.

Off course, games can be 'borrowed' by friends. In that case: only one copy (the original or the backup) may be used at the same time and you are still responsible for what happens to both discs. dry.gif

SweBaztard-SmartXX

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 03:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(The Zep Man @ Nov 30 2005, 11:18 AM) View Post

You have a license to play/use one and only one copy by yourself. If you created a backup and played it without doing anything with the original, it would be OK.

Off course, games can be 'borrowed' by friends. In that case: only one copy (the original or the backup) may be used at the same time and you are still responsible for what happens to both discs. dry.gif

So if my friend steals my backup, i am obliged to get it back/destroy it?

I was thinking about HL2 for pc now... i cant borrow that since the cdkey is bound to his steam-account?

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 06:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(SweBaztard-SmartXX @ Nov 30 2005, 11:24 AM) View Post

So if my friend steals my backup, i am obliged to get it back/destroy it?

Last time we talked about the situation you 'borrowed' a backup to your friend. I/you didn't say anything about stealing (=taking without permission).

If your friend does create another copy from your backup-disc and gives it to someone else, then you are responsible, since you own the original. Owning the original means it's your responsibility to keep track of the one 'allowed' backup.

zz Muerte zz

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »

Well, If its anything like roms, even he can use the backup.. as long as he deletes it within 24 hrs if he dosnt have the original.

Horscht

• Recovered User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 07:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(zz Muerte zz @ Nov 30 2005, 03:33 PM) View Post

*snip* deletes it within 24 hrs *snip*

That rule does NOT exist. It's just a way of romsites trying to get their head out of the rope.

You may NOT download roms/games at all, even if you own the original. If you want to have a backup of your game, you are obliged to make it yourself from your original. If you ever give the original away, you also have to give the backup (of which you are only allowed to make 1) to the person you gave the original too. And noone is allowed to have a backup of a game (wether a DVD backup or a ROM) which he doesn't own. Not for a week, not for 24h, not even for 5 seconds.

NOTE: this is what is allowed/prohibited by law. Noone would actualy care if you made the backup yourself (there probably wouldn't be a way to prove wether you made it or not).

SweBaztard-SmartXX

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 01:13:00 AM »

May i make a backup on a protected game and download a crack to it?
This is the shit i like to know, only for fun. I wanna know how it works in the US.

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 05:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(SweBaztard-SmartXX @ Dec 1 2005, 09:20 AM) View Post

May i make a backup on a protected game and download a crack to it?
This is the shit i like to know, only for fun. I wanna know how it works in the US.
By the US-law? No. The binaries of the game are hacked and redistributed. Downloading that is also illegal.

Downloading a PPF-patch is not illegal, since it's code that is written by someone else who makes it available.

However, I can imagine that some people with original CD's download no-CD cracks/use images of a disc with emulation software on the PC. I think it's OK to put your original disc somewhere safe and play from the emulated disc/with a no-CD patch. happy.gif

Xombe

• Archived User
Is This Legal?
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 07:18:00 AM »

EULA.

Closed.