xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ds Vs. Psp Hacking  (Read 1001 times)

dsturbed1

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« on: December 08, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »

im just as excited about the DS coming out as everyone else, and i cant wait for the PSP to come out either. this being mainly a moding board, i think we should talk about the capabilities both systems have in terms of mods. what are the possibilites?

basically, im a huge moding fanboy biggrin.gif . ill probably buy the system that has the biggest potential. especially with the DS out already, i really want to start talking about the possibilities, a little bit more in-depth than "the possibilities are endless."

that being said, heres the list of things ive though of so far:

Nintendo DS:

pros:

-many GBA flash carts DO work on this thing, so all GBA games right off the bat. also it could emulate: sega genesis, NES, SNES, GB, and GBC... thats a HUGE game list already!
-the *really* smart people at DSLinux have already almost made a DS cart!
look here if you dont believe me.
-maybe there will be a DS version of MS word, using the touch screen as a key board.
-hell, all of MS office
-anything that uses a keyboard for that matter (well not anything)
-anything a pda can do (yes, anything)
-wireelessly upload games or apps to the DS? sounds pretty doable to me.
-browse the web: chat on AIM, check your e-mail, get the news, post on xbox-scene forums... i cant wait for a mozilla firefox DS!

cons:

-not as good graphics as the PSP (fact)
-the sound is probably not as high quality as the PSP (assumption)

i cant think of any more cons that this, so really it seems that mainly MP3 and DVD playing capabilities are inferior to the PSP... although that was kind of obvious to begin with, wasnt it?

well thats all my ideas on the DS right now. on to the PSP.

Sony PSP:

pros:

-better graphics and sounds, as already covered
-wireless capabilities too, although i believe it is NOT wifi capable out of the box
-isnt there a mini keyboard coming out for the PSP? not as convenient as a touch screen keyboard but a keybourd nonetheless.
-probably the *best* part about the PSP: memory sticks! i imagine this will make it very easy to get into a PSP. with the sticks, you wouldnt even need to crack the UMD disks. you wouldnt need a flash cart either. now, i ASSUME sony is smarter than this, and the memory stick part of the system will be well-protected, but there is a chance that it wont be, and even if it is, theres a good chance it will still be exploitable.
-PSP can emulate, and thus ALSO play genesis, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, and GBA games. hell, the PSP might even be powerful enough to play N64 or PS1 games! IN FACT: maybe the PSP will be powerful enough to emulate a DS? (of course, im only talking about games that dont use the touch screen. and even so, because of the screen splitting, it is unlikely. and even if it is, it probably wouldnt look very good on one small screen anyway). although thruthfully, i have no knowledge of the PSP's hardware specs, and even if i did, i would still have no idea if it were powerful enough to emulate a DS. can someone who does confirm this?

cons:

-only one screen
-NOT touch sensitive, so there goes like 84956493569 ideas that WOULD work on the DS...
-the main player, the UMD disk reader, is very uncommon and is probably more difficult to crack.
-just like how the DS's GBA and DS drives are not really connected (at this point in time anyway), the UMD and media stick drives will probably be the same. i doubt sony will let media sticks use the PSPs whole potential (just speculation).

well this is all i can think of right now. if you have any more ideas, please post them.

you know, XBOX soft mods started with putting linux on the system. thats exactly what the people are www.dslinux.org are doing. it isnt far away, either. these new handhelds will change everything. the first step is the actual moding, but then what? we need to decide what to do with that ability.

Supplicium

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »

DS for sure is harder to mod. We are workin on gettin linux on it right now. www.dslinux.org check it out. we are running into lots of problems right now.. also xlink says they can tunnel the PSP easily and they are yet to provide support for the DS.

dsturbed1

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »

someone from DSLinux forums, all right.

add "cell phone" to the DS list by the way. the mic could be used...

This post has been edited by dsturbed1: Dec 9 2004, 04:45 AM

bcforn64

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 09:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (Supplicium @ Dec 9 2004, 01:56 AM)
DS for sure is harder to mod. We are workin on gettin linux on it right now. www.dslinux.org check it out. we are running into lots of problems right now.. also xlink says they can tunnel the PSP easily and they are yet to provide support for the DS.

And you are basing this on nothing I assume?...... you mean to tell me that for sure a system that uses an out-house common security system is harder to mod than a unit made by a company notourious on making things hard on modders? The PSP uses a proprietary disc format, Gamecube anyone? You may mention the memory stick as a viable option for booting homebrew code but not for quite awhile. Sony does alot more in-house development than anybody else, hell like it or not on many consumer electronics they define the industry by pushing their own technology.

But if tunneling could be considered modding then yes, the PSP could have the DS beat....for about a week or so.

Supplicium

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »

I am only talking about putting linux on the systems not playing pirated games. in the case of playing the games your right it will be very similar to the gamecube.

The DS uses a proprietary networking "scheme" as in the PSP case to my knowledge uses a "pc" standard. SO booting Linux from a network will be easier on the PSP.

limbfilter

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »

Well it's funny you should ask about the psp.....
My site is dedicatedd to this very subject....
What's interesting about the psp is that it is CONFIRMED that demos can run off of the memorystick. It's also worth while to note that the psp is going to have a flashable bios. Maybe Sony wasn't paying attention to the xbopx and what having a flashable bios can mean....But it's still unknown as to what the psp bios can actually control. It was made to be flashable with a promise of firmware updates....So who knows....

thomes08

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 11:08:00 AM »

it seems that with the psp having a mem stick and firmware updates... as well as the fact that demos ran off the mem stick, that the psp would have more modding capabilities

thomes08

FektionFekler

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 11:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (limbfilter @ Dec 10 2004, 12:22 PM)
It's also worth while to note that the psp is going to have a flashable bios. Maybe Sony wasn't paying attention to the xbopx and what having a flashable bios can mean

The ps2 had flashable bios as well, what is your point? I don't care how good the graphics are (although they aren't that good a little less than Dreamcast in my opinion), if it has a 2 hour battery life when running games at full capacity, then fuck it.

dsturbed1

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 01:13:00 PM »

hmm, ok it seems that the PSP will be easier to hack. but once it is, the question i have, is what it will be capable of once its hacked?

DexX

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

Does anyone have any idea when a cart for the ds will come out? Cause I don't know if I should get a ds or psp.

limbfilter

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (FektionFekler @ Dec 10 2004, 03:07 PM)
The ps2 had flashable bios as well, what is your point? I don't care how good the graphics are (although they aren't that good a little less than Dreamcast in my opinion), if it has a 2 hour battery life when running games at full capacity, then fuck it.

Where did you get that from?
1 ) I'm not aware of being able to flash the bios of a ps2...If we could, we wouldn't need to have solder points on the bios.
2 ) What's my point?....Um...I kinda said that in my first post...I have no idea what the psp bios will control...It's just an interesting thing to note...
3 ) Dreamcast graphics....Eye of the beholder I suppose...
4 ) 2 hour battery life? I suppose if they come out with a gta....and it streams from the umd constantly...But if you know Sony then you know there will be longer lasting batteries. Nature of the beast with Sony...

This post has been edited by limbfilter: Dec 10 2004, 11:19 PM

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (dsturbed1 @ Dec 9 2004, 01:50 AM)
-PSP can emulate,...  hell, the PSP might even be powerful enough to play N64 or PS1 games! IN FACT: maybe the PSP will be powerful enough to emulate a DS?

Dont count on it, Xbox can hardley do all that.

FektionFekler

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (limbfilter @ Dec 11 2004, 12:15 AM)
Where did you get that from?
1 ) I'm not aware of being able to flash the bios of a ps2...If we could, we wouldn't need to have solder points on the bios.
2 ) What's my point?....Um...I kinda said that in my first post...I have no idea what the psp bios will control...It's just an interesting thing to note...
3 ) Dreamcast graphics....Eye of the beholder I suppose...
4 ) 2 hour battery life? I suppose if they come out with a gta....and it streams from the umd constantly...But if you know Sony then you know there will be longer lasting batteries. Nature of the beast with Sony...

1) The PS2 had flashable bios, research what happens when you install the FFXI hdd.

2)  I guess.

3) You are right they are less than Dreamcast graphics, up close those textures are disgusting.

4) They reported 2-6 battery life, 6 hours max is pretty pathetic, that is like the Sega Nomad, although it had the best graphics available, and was backwards compatible with previous Sega Genesis games, it was bulky and had a shit battery life. Nintendo owns this market, Sony will fail.

Reznik Akime

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 10:18:00 PM »

If the bios was flashable on the ps2, we would have long since been doing bios flashes on the thing. Im pretty damned sure that the reason why the ps2hdd works is because of the firmware on the harddrive. It has some signed code in the thing that makes it compatible with the ps2 so you dont need anything like a bios flash to get the thing to work.

If the bios flash theory were true, it would have been hijacked and exploited long ago man. You just cant flash the ps2 bios chip, no way, no how, although you can put it on the memory card or in this case, the harddrive. Thats how the dvd updates and such work.  

This post has been edited by Reznik Akime: Dec 11 2004, 06:31 AM

limbfilter

• Archived User
Ds Vs. Psp Hacking
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (FektionFekler @ Dec 10 2004, 07:33 PM)
1) The PS2 had flashable bios, research what happens when you install the FFXI hdd.

2)  I guess.

3) You are right they are less than Dreamcast graphics, up close those textures are disgusting.

4) They reported 2-6 battery life, 6 hours max is pretty pathetic, that is like the Sega Nomad, although it had the best graphics available, and was backwards compatible with previous Sega Genesis games, it was bulky and had a shit battery life. Nintendo owns this market, Sony will fail.

1 ) You've got this backwards. You are trying to prove to me that the ps2 bios is flashable. So you need to link to your source. Don't send me on a search to prove me wrong. I already think you're wrong. Prove yourself right and I'll eat my hat.
3 ) What do you mean I am right? I said it was in the eye of the beholder....Meaning that you are gonna see what you want to see...
4 ) Best I can do on your 2-6hour battery statement is this here.
But honestly....It's not worth arguing with you about it anymore. Because this statement "Nintendo owns this market, Sony will fail." Shows to me that you are just a fanboy. Who honestly belives that there is no room for another handheld in the market? Lik-sang has stated that they are getting 500 psps. They also stated that 500 is about a 10th of what they need to fill their preorders. And that's just one store. If sony does fail, they will fail with everyone owning a psp. tongue.gif
Pages: [1] 2