xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Nhl Is Back  (Read 4420 times)

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »

Yet even more info HE IS A BIG defenceman, he has played with Mats Sundin, was coached by Pat Quinn and has lacrosse connections in Whitby.

That's enough to make Adam Foote feel welcome at the Air Canada Centre on any day of the week. But with unrestricted free agents up for grabs as of Monday and sources saying Toronto has always been high on Foote's list of new teams, no further background checks should be required.

Foote, like Peter Forsberg, appears to be caught in the salary cap squeeze of the Colorado Avalanche, who have indicated Joe Sakic and Rob Blake, both contracted, are their first priorities in staying under $39 million US, the National Hockey League limit. However, Avs general manager Pierre Lacroix might not want to lose both Forsberg and Foote, unless he has his own free agent in mind as a replacement.

Foote, 34, has been obscured in recent weeks as Scott Niedermayer, Sergei Gonchar and Derian Hatcher were shoved toward the door by their respective clubs. But Foote would be a catch, a two-time Canadian Olympian and Stanley Cup winner with the Avalanche.

TIGHT-LIPPED

Sundin's one-time teammate on the Quebec Nordiques is busy in the Whitby lacrosse scene (he once played the sport in the same area as Leafs' Gary Roberts and Joe Nieuwendyk) and is laying low until next week. Leafs GM John Ferguson and Quinn, the Toronto and Team Canada coach, are tight-lipped on the subject of free agents. This week, Ferguson is negotiating with Roberts, Nieuwendyk and Tie Domi, the latter keeping curiously close to Pittsburgh Penguins' owner Mario Lemieux these days.

Ferguson has until tomorrow -- at 5 p.m. -- to decide if he is buying out any Leafs to clear room for his own restricted and unrestricted free agents and next week's league-wide shopping spree.

Foote won't be cheap (he was worth $4.4 million US to Denver in the pre-rollback days), but never underestimate what players will do if they want badly enough to be Leafs. Richard Peddie, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., spoke of the club's intangible "star power" on The Fan 590 radio earlier this week.

"Maybe someone would want to play (strongly enough) for Toronto for a little bit less money," Peddie said.

TORONTO (CP) - Bob Goodenow stepped down as head of the NHL Players' Association on Thursday, saying the time was right to hand the baton to his lieutenant Ted Saskin.

The news comes one week after the players' held their noses and voted in favour of a new labour deal. At the time Goodenow said he enjoyed his work and planned to serve out his contract.

That changed, he said Thursday, after discussions with the NHLPA executive committee. There was always going to be a transition, Goodenow told a news conference. He just "accelerated" the process.

"I've enjoyed very much my involvement and I think that the transition which would have occurred in the future, being moved up as it has been today, is the right step at the right time," he explained.

"There's the old saying, when it feels good and it looks good, go ahead and do it, and that's what we've done."

Goodenow had "a couple of years left" on a contract that reportedly paid him $2.5 million US a year. Apparently a settlement was negotiated to take care of that deal.

"What we've worked out is an accommodation that's satisfactory to everyone," he said.

The hard-nosed Goodenow officially took as NHLPA executive director in 1992, but had been running the show behind the scenes as early as 1991 in the messy departure of Alan Eagleson.

He said he had no immediate plans.

"I have no plans for anything right now. I'm going to take a few months off and think about what I might want to do in the future. I really haven't given it any thought."

Goodenow called his time with the NHLPA "a tremendous pleasure."

"It's a tremendous sport, it's a great group of people and I get to tell you that I think the future is very bright for the sport and for everyone involved in it," he said.

Saskin, the NHLPA's senior director of business affairs and licensing, will succeed Goodenow as executive director and general counsel. Saskin served as the union's lead negotiator on the labour deal, sparring with Bill Daly of the NHL.

Goodenow said Saskin was "uniquely situated" to take over given his work on the collective bargaining agreement.

It is widely believed that the new labour deal, with its salary cap and linkage to league revenues, was not favoured by Goodenow.

But as the lockout wiped out the entire 2004-05 season, players made their voices heard. NHLPA president Trevor Linden stepped in and the union returned to the bargaining table ready to negotiate

On Thursday, Goodenow dismissed a suggestion the agreement was a failure. And he showed some emotion when asked about suggestions he had played a smaller role in the negotiations as the months wore on.

He rejected the suggestion, growing emotional when talking about how a "personal matter" had taken him away from the process at one point.

"My mother passed away last week and I had some days where I was preoccupied," he said.

In its statement announcing Goodenow's departure, the NHLPA said: "This decision followed discussions between Goodenow and members of the executive committee about the organization's future."

Linden spoke warmly of Goodenow in the statement announcing his departure.

"Every NHL player has benefited enormously from Bob's leadership and dedication. He has been a tireless advocate for the players and he dramatically improved the players' situation in every respect. Bob built the NHLPA into a first-class organization and we are all very grateful to him."

Linden also praised Saskin in Thursday's statement.

"Ted has worked closely with Bob every step of the way and has done an excellent job for the players in our recently concluded CBA negotiations. We have every confidence that he will be able to lead our association well in the years to come."

The moves mean both of the lead negotiators in the labour deal have been promoted: Saskin to executive director and Daly to deputy commissioner.

Commissioner Gary Bettman issued his own statement Thursday.

"I have always respected Bob's tenacity, passion and professionalism, and I wish him well in his future endeavours. We congratulate Ted and look forward to working with him."

TheODog

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »

not only is it a sweet offseason, its just nice to see all this talk about hockey. Brings a tingle down my spine.

Regarding jagr, hes gonna be second most over paid player. Looks like Pronger will be if he accepts the deal from St. Louis.

We'll see come monday, free agent heaven.

Wtf is up with this NO ALL STAR GAME. I dont care if there is allready a 2 week break, they need the all-star game just to gain some fans again. Its always sweet to watch those.

Odog

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(xbox beat box @ Jul 29 2005, 10:08 AM)
God I hope Don Cherry fuckin dies before the start of the season. The fact that my tax dollars are going to this guys salary just infuriates me. Maybe if he was less biased I wouldnt mind.

xbox beat box

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(XBL_SUCKS @ Jul 29 2005, 05:11 PM)
Well I think your wrong, He knows Hockey, and he took Boston to the Stanley Cup back in the day. I would like to see him on TSN not CBC.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(jaroc @ Jul 29 2005, 02:14 AM)
Did anyone else find the title of this funny  laugh.gif

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »

Well it's a new day so I have more news. Chris Pronger is most likey going to Flordia or Atlanta. Both teams have expressed intrest in him and he played with Mike Keenen (Spelling) in the past and Altanta needs a vertern to protect thier stars and add some leadership. As for buyouts Chris Gratton, Bobby Holik, Scott Lachance, Mathieu Biron and Matt Johnson have all been all bought out to save money. As for the Draft Brian Burke has the number 2 pick and the Canucks have expressed intrest in it offering Ed Jovanovski for the pick, Also St Louis has talked with Burke trying to send Chris Pronger there for the pick but have to get his (Prongers) premission and word that he will sign a multi year deal. The last team that wants the 2nd pick is the Avs the wanted to send either Milan Hejduk and/or Alex Tanguay to the Ducks for their pick. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

It also looks like Tie Domi is out of Toronto and off to Pittsburgh Penguins. Also reports have Roberts going to Flordia and Joe Nieuwendyk to Dallas. So they (Leafs) can sign Adam Foote.

And yes jroc I did find HNIC funny it's the name of Prodigy's c.d. a classic album by the way

TheODog

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2005, 10:17:00 AM »

Well Keeping the thread up to date,

Trade Update:

To Toronto:
JEFF O'NEILL

To Carolina:
4'th Round Draft pick in 2006.

GO LEAFZ GO

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

Cant wait untill tomorrow. The FA signings begin.

thomes08

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2005, 07:46:00 PM »

yeah i know i'm pumped (penguins)

where do you guys think some of bigger named players are gonna go?

the pens said they were gonna sign some name players which sure has me excited being used to them only giving up big name players

thomes08

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »

tongue.gif I hope Jeff O'Neil works out for Toronto after what happened to his brother, The one thing that pisses me off is the Leafs cut their tickets by a whoping 5% wow and no freebies whats up with that? Ottawa is at least giving out freebies such as jersey's and promo items throughout the first week of play. The Penguins have all ready sold triple the amount of season tickets as compared to 2 years ago.

thomes08

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2005, 05:05:00 PM »

does detroit have enough money left under the cap to sign a big name player like fors or nas?

thomes08

ps.... c'mon pens make some moves i'm axious

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2005, 11:10:00 PM »

Well Foote went to the Blue Jackets.

And now that Satan is a free agent i think we can all agree he NEEDS to go to the Devils.

thomes08

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »

haha that would be a pretty good fit i guess... however i wouldn't mind the pens picking him up

thomes08

thomes08

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2005, 08:27:00 AM »

damn i read that and got pretty excited but then heard that boston was the front runner for him.  I dunno i do want him but the pens already have have some old vets in lemieux and recchi so i'm not sure another would be smart.

thomes08

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2005, 08:46:00 AM »

Zigmund Palffy might end up in Toronto, Detroit or Flordia if the Kings don't sign him to a 3 year deal. Defence remains a concern in Toronto, though an offensive-minded type to run the Leafs' inconsistent power play could see a Sergei Gonchar like player.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8