xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ea Has Purchased The Rights To The Nfl For 5 Years  (Read 864 times)

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
Ea Has Purchased The Rights To The Nfl For 5 Years
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 05:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (celinedrules @ Dec 14 2004, 05:30 AM)
Well the NFL has the right to do business with whomever they please.  Thats like when you go into Burger King and they carry Coke products. I am sure Pepsi would like to be there too but BK chose not to carry Pepsi. That analogy really isnt the same but you get the idea.

When you say EA shouldn't have the right, the NFL game them the right.

Yea the NFL can do business with who they want to.

But,

The NFL has been and still is subsidized by tax payer money (can you say stadium building) and they are involved in interstate commerce which means they are regulated by congress. This is the same reason why John McCain can threaten baseball about drug testing with authority to back it up.

If there is enough public outcry (which I don't think will happen) the goverment can say "no" to this deal. Thats why I signed the petition and I e-mailed my congress man and senator.

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

If there is enough public outcry (which I don't think will happen) the goverment can say "no" to this deal. Thats why I signed the petition and I e-mailed my congress man and senator.

You know you're on a video gaming forums when... wink.gif
Pretty shitty deal, but that only means the other companies can't use actual NFL names right? So you will still be seeing new football games, since you can't buy a sport. This doesn't mean the end of all other football games.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (Baner @ Dec 14 2004, 08:01 PM)
So you will still be seeing new football games, since you can't buy a sport. This doesn't mean the end of all other football games.

Thats true but the games will sell maybe 3 copies. No one wants a games with made up teams and players.

After 1 year of no sales for other games, madden will be alone.

FektionFekler

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »

Maybe Sega/Take-Two could purchase the NBA and NHL Licenses, dealing a hefty blow to EA's profits.

Griffen37

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »

This does suck, but it the NFL we should all be pissed at, not EA.  The NFL is the greediest professional sports organization and it is terrible.  First Sunday ticket as a proprietary license with DirecTV and now this.  We all understand that sports are still businesses, but they are also a pasttime and should not behave in this manor.  There may be a a legal argument that the NFL is a monopoly and has market power in the licensing arena and is engaging in unfairly competitive practices, but probably not.  Still, anger should be aimed at the NFL, not EA and actions taken should restrict the NFL, not EA.

Cold Fuzion

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2004, 01:07:00 PM »

fuck ea sports ..i cant stand them anymore.  ESPN owns it imo

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

Thats true but the games will sell maybe 3 copies. No one wants a games with made up teams and players.

We didn't mind in the days of "Ken Griffey Presents Major League Baseball" on the SNES. wink.gif
Maybe the other sports game makers will add-in a feature that allows you to connect to a 3rd party website, and download a file of "Make belief" names for the players. biggrin.gif
It's a hard hit, but there are other ways around it. Just gotta put some witts behind it. wink.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (Hercules Q Einstein @ Dec 14 2004, 08:55 PM)

After 1 year of no sales for other games, madden will be alone.

I'm surprised you believe this.
Pro evolution soccer is the best English football game there is, but doesn't have rights to real names or anything. However it still sells LOADS and is coming out nearly every year with new versions, people just rename all the teams then release a patch for it... There are even retail disks for sale that just rename all players properly, I will expect this to happen for NFL games.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2004, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Dec 14 2004, 10:25 PM)
I'm surprised you believe this.
Pro evolution soccer is the best English football game there is, but doesn't have rights to real names or anything. However it still sells LOADS and is coming out nearly every year with new versions, people just rename all the teams then release a patch for it... There are even retail disks for sale that just rename all players properly, I will expect this to happen for NFL games.

Wait and see, i promise you i am right. First of all i have never heard of the game your talking about (Kinda proves my point). Anyway soccer is different because its about the countrys not a certain league. In a soccer game you can still have a USA team. People are way more interested in the NFL than generic football. EA wins and all other football products will be crushed.

Griffen37

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »

Now that is an excellent point, if a bit conspiracy-minded for my usual tastes.  MS may very well have had a hand in this, or maybe just seen it coming, but they've been known to fund similar initiatives in other areas, so this isn't so far-fetched.  That would be a good story for some investigative reporting.  Still, you have to think that MS was benefitting from people buying 2 NFL game titles, so I don't know ...

elfey1

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »

First of all i have never heard of the game your talking about

well soccer isnt as big across the pond therefore you probably wouldnt do, most british guys will have heard of the pro evolution soccer franchise... which means it could work for the NFL in the same way.

soccer is different because its about the countrys not a certain league

point taken, but there are soccer leagues too you know smile.gif the biggest one that most people care about being the premiership... back in the day some of the soccer titles used to just slightly change the letters of the players names - so you can still tell who it is. - not sure about nowadays, as im not a huge fan of football games - fps all the way!!  smile.gif

but it goes to show that not only one can dominate, and if it was better gameplay, why would you care if the name of the game had to be changed - just cus its called NFL (insert year here) doesnt mean its better to play than a generically titled one.  beerchug.gif

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (elfey1 @ Dec 15 2004, 12:56 AM)
point taken, but there are soccer leagues too you know smile.gif the biggest one that most people care about being the premiership... back in the day some of the soccer titles used to just slightly change the letters of the players names - so you can still tell who it is. - not sure about nowadays, as im not a huge fan of football games - fps all the way!!  smile.gif

Yeah i dont know much about soccer.

Anyway you cant just change the name slightly either. The NFLPA (and NHLPA, NBAPA) is to strict and would sue, thats why in ESPN NHL the classic teams only have players named "Lef Winger 1".

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »

no one is going to buy a football game unless it's NFL or NCAA..... i mean fuck i hate EA football for this but i'm not gonna play some canadian football league when i want to play as the steelers......... i hope sega makes NCAA games now.... i think you're right, EA knew that SEGA was making huge strides in their games and the public was catching on.

this sucks

thomes08

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2004, 10:48:00 PM »

EA beat Sega in the Spike tv video game awards.

Mega_mil

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2004, 11:26:00 PM »

I love ESPN more than Madden......I just find it a lot more fun to play..against the computer and with friends.  I get into arguements all the time with Madden fans.  They don't realize that anyone that has been playing video games since nintendo has pretty much been playing Madden their whole lives.  So when i better game comes along at a better price tag...come on..........This move by EA is pretty low.  Bad enough we already have certain games being "PURCHASED" exclusively to both systems but a sports game.  I know I won't be playing madden again after this low blow.  They just got scared cause Visual Concepts had their ass in a slump but lowering the prices of their sports line-up to 20 bucks.  Visual Concepts should counter that move by offering a deal to the NBA.....lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4