xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Red Sox Win The World Series!  (Read 505 times)

leftyfb

• Archived User
Red Sox Win The World Series!
« on: October 27, 2004, 11:47:00 PM »

nuff said smile.gif

ProSam

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »

WHERE ARE THE STANKEE FANS NOW!!!!

YEAH BABY! beerchug.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »

I don't know much about baseball...
But surely it had to happen sooner or later.... 86 years is a long time  laugh.gif

Spency234

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 10:54:00 AM »

Bambino who?

I think I was happier when they knocked off the Yankees then when they won the whole thing but CONGRATS BOSTON!

:beer:

SnowPea

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »

I just want to say that the Cardinal's performance was pathetic... way to go Sox!

laugh.gif

ProSam

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (SnowPea @ Oct 28 2004, 09:04 PM)
I just want to say that the Cardinal's performance was pathetic... way to go Sox!

laugh.gif

Did they even show, up jester.gif

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 02:15:00 AM »

The Cardinals were a good team, but their showing in the WS was pathetic.  They stranded the entire population of St. Loius on base, and the Red Sox scored 90% of their runs in the series with two outs.  St. Loius was just happy to be there, and didn't really compete.

I can't believe this thread only has five posts.

The BoSox winning it all has to be one of the greatest sports moments in my life.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »

I suppose as the local Yankees fan I'll step up and give my thoughts. First, I'm a Yankees fan in a Boston fan base area, where everyone hates NY and everything they do, such as signing the biggest free agent during an off season. They whine about it and then forget they did the same thing with Manny...... rolleyes.gif

The Yankees had no competant pitching in the playoffs. Mussina is good, and I've always been a fan back to his Baltimore days, but he's no longer a legit number 1. Orlando was hurting. And Brown.... well, he was just one step beyond horrible beyond my worst dreams.

The Yankees definately got beat. They got in a position to win and had their best boy on the mound, and Mariano couldn't close out game 4. And they got to him. And by the time NY started Brown in 7 I was convinced they were trying to lose.

Frankly I was very suprised at what a pushover SL was, as I wholy expected them to win the Series regardless of what team made it. A few more games would have been nice rather then the sweep. But it's still a good win for Boston and very much deserved.

The fans are still stupid. In the series I had to listen to them explain to me that SL sucked (Before they got swept), because they had a worse record, proven by Boston's homefield in the Series. And then I had to listen to people bitch and whine about how unfair it is that the DH doesn't exist in NL parks, even though it's prob more unfair to NL teams, since they don't have a guy like Ortiz on their team to be used soley as a bat. And since I've had to listen to how they're gonna resign ALL their free agents AND get Pavano, AND Beltran, AND half the other guys on the free agent market. I guess 9 starting pitchers and half a dozen CFs is a cool thing....  dry.gif

That being said I think Boston has done VERY well this off season. IF they manage to resign Pedro and Tek, theyll be doing great. Mantei's a nice improvement to their pen. And if they get Renteria, that's a HUGE pickup.

Meanwhile I have NO idea what NYs doing. Why they didn't use the option to keep Lieber for 8 million for one more year is beyond me. Instead they chose to sign a 3 year, 21 mil deal to Jaret Wright...... He's no better, both are questions marks, the cost per year is similar..... Why not keep Lieber instead, since one year contracts are less ricky on guys you're unsure of. Particularly guys whom get along with your team.

Womack was a great pickup. A good 2nd baseman and gets Jeter back to the 2nd slot in the lineup where he belongs.

Wells....... He's prob. no better then Lowe. He's 41 years old. I like him a lot and wanted NY to try for him, even though with his age and back, he may not be as good as in years past. It's an emotional blow to NY fans more then anything. It should prevent Boston from trying for Pedro AND Pavano, but still, it's annoying.

All said, I'm suprised that more teams aren't going after guys like Clement or Radke, before it looked like he's a lock to be in Minnesota. Pavano and Pedro are big money risks in my mind. Pavanos had 1 good season. And Pedro seems to be aging quicker then he should. Maybe he's not really 33. It's not like the Dominican Republic keeps good records on birthdates and other guys in the league like Contreras are of questionable age.

Boston played well last year. I've got tickets to see em June 26th vs Cleveland. Hopefully Wells will be pitching. I probably won't wear a Yankees fan to not start too many problems. But I figure NY's still up 26 to 6, so I can't cry myself to sleep too much.   beerchug.gif

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2004, 05:32:00 PM »

I think NY is largely in panic mode.  They're into some tough long-term contracts, and lack pitching.  They picked up Pavano, which helps.  Their staff could be healthier next year, and despite Brown being an egomaniac and an idiot, he can produce from time to time.  I wouldn't want him on my team, but I wouldn't want to have to pitch against him either, if you know what I mean.

A-Rod is another guy I wouldn't want in the clubhouse.

Everyone talks about the Boston clubhouse and the wild personalities.  But NY has a lot of pressure.

How do you think the NY clubhouse reacts to A-Rod failing to perform in the clutch, Jeter keeping a far superior defensive shortshop over at third, Brown punching a wall, and Mr. Invincibility losing a deciding game in the 9th inning?

Add to that Giambi admitting that he took steroids.  I'm sure there are tons of players doing it, but being the first active player to admit to it is not going to make him a popular man.

What saddens me is the Boston free agent push.  These guys are heroes.  They have to know that New York still fields a decent team, will plug pitching holes and come right back next year.  If I'm in the Boston clubhouse, I'm trying to encourage my teammates to develop a team philosophy.  Don't demand the moon.  Leave some salary room to resign the whole team.  I like the roster largely how it is.

Good closer.  Decent pen.  Good starting pitching, decent defense and good offense.

Boston has to becareful.  They could go from king of the world to missing the playoffs next year.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »

Very solid thoughts.

Jaret Wright is a mistake in my mind. I think Lieber was better, and I don't feel this is an improvement to the pitching staff. Their bullpen was markably improved by getting Stanton and Rodriguez for Lofton and Heredia. I think they definately made out in those deals.

Boston does have a lot of pressure to not be a huge failure next year after a wonderful year. And NY to improve to their former dominant self.

I don't like A-Rod. Never did.
I like Kevin Brown, but he's definately not what he once was. He's lost several miles off his pitches and his back is always hurt now.

I'm hoping NY choses not to keep Wright due to his physicals. I'd rather see Milton or Clement. Actually both of them, or one of them AND Hernandez back would allow for Brown to miss games.

As for Mariano...... No one's perfect. He gets hit by Boston, but then again Boston's got one of the best lineups in baseball so it would figure that they'd be the team to get to him. Just like it makes sense that guys like Pedro have problems with NY's lineup.

Picking up Pavano seems solid enough. I worry he won't perform as well as he did last year. We shall see. I'm really hoping for Clement.......

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »

Mariano is still great, and he is the greatest postseason closer of all time.  No doubt there.  He responded well after Arizona got to him.

But sometimes a chink in the armor can cause once great ones to tumble.

The Nebraska Cornhuskers had the most dominant program in college football over 40 years.  They never took a year off.  No other college program in any sport could ever claim to be great for over 40 years consistently.  Iowa wrestling, North Carolina women's soccer and a few other programs have been truly great for 10-20 year spans, but over 40 years of 9+ wins is incredible.

Yet, when Nebraska got clobbered by Colorado a few years back, the team never recovered.  We're still limping around from that.

It will be interesting to see how New York responds.  They've got a great offense and with some pitching they could be near unstoppable.

ProSam

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »

Seems like Peety is taking the next train to Gotham.  sad.gif

THough I would like to see him stay I also thing that Theo is making all the right moves to keep the sox in good position to win lots of games and at least contend for the division.

Of course we can just sit and wait to see how all of these off seaon transactions will pan out but I for one think that now that we have lifted this huge burden off our soldiers it will be alot easier to make it back and win some more in the coming years.

GO SOX!

streetchemistry

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 10:37:00 PM »

what the... this thread came out of nowhere, the world series is way over with... someone garbage bin this freakin thread....  mad.gif

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »

This is the sports area, and people are discussing sports.  What's your problem?

I'm sad to see Pedro go.  I think it hurts his legacy if he ends up only spending half his career in Boston.

Apparently helping Boston fight the Evil Empire isn't nearly as important as getting top dollar, and satisfying his ego.

I think he wasn't happy playing second fiddle to Schilling, but Schill came up big last year, and any team player should be happy that Schill delivered on his days.  Petey should only concern himself with how he performs during his starts.

Could we steal Radke away from Minnesota?

zhcky89

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »

i say start a new topic...no one wants to see this one
Pages: [1] 2