xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hex Editing (hexing) Tutorials?!  (Read 596 times)

generationhacka

• Archived User
Hex Editing (hexing) Tutorials?!
« on: June 05, 2006, 03:18:00 AM »

So basically i need to get a hex editing XB games tutorial so i can get to grips with it!

I have experience in programming languages such as: C++, VB 6 (sum VB.Net), Java, Javascript, HTML few others as well. So i am not a complete newb when it comes to hex editting or programming in general.

So a link to a tutorial or just a hint in the right direction!

I  would be very much grateful, Thank You!

GenerationHacka

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(generationhacka @ Jun 5 2006, 10:18 AM) View Post

So basically i need to get a hex editing XB games tutorial so i can get to grips with it!

Do you want a general xbox game hacking tutorial, or specific hex editing tutorial for Rainbow Six games?

A Google search turns up game-related hex editing tutorials.  Here are two:
http://www.campaignc...pment/hex.shtml
http://www.halomods....040503053106260

Try a search for "game hacking" and you'll find lots of resources that will give you a clue as to the kinds of things to look for when hex editing.

Since each game is different, you really have to experiment.  Look for patterns or known values.  Learn how floating point numbers are stored.   Since you have programming experience you should understand structures and various contructs used to store values - look for such structures.  Look for offsets and pointers (values that point to other addresses/values)  Look at values that represent the length of a string.

Look at files that have known formats to understand how data is stored.   Look for similar storage methods and patterns in unknown files.  Determine if the file contains fixed-length data / records, or is it variable length?  Learn what Endian-ness is (big endian vs. little endian)  How are the bytes stored?  Most significant to least, or vice versa?

Study the recognizable values to see if you can make sense of the unknown values nearby.

If you're not a newb as you say, then you know the basics of searching for text or hex values and editing
them -  so you just need try some of the ideas listed above and dive in.

Also, be sure to do a thorough search (when the search feature is working) for specific terms.  You may not find "tutorial" but if you search for something like "umd structure", or "weapons stats" you might find some hits.

(Unfortunately, having the search feature offline hampers your progress.  You can get a lot of info quickly when it does work.)

generationhacka

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 02:20:00 AM »

Thank you!

This is the exact sort of stuff i was looking for?!
I understand hexadecimal, learnt about it when i was in college (about a year ago)

Cheers again!

GenerationHacka