xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Autoaim And Umd Size  (Read 156 times)

ModXTRA

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« on: July 10, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

I changed the UMD so I could have autoaim and now that I did that the game constantly freezes usually in the first minute of actually starting and playing any map in any type of game.  I checked the sizes of the original and the edited and they are identical.  What could be the reasons for all the freezes and do you have any suggestions?

ModXTRA

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »

It might just be a coincidence but it seems like it always freezes right when I get close to the NPC's which I guess means everytime it goes to perform the autoaim so I am not sure what is wrong.  My settings for autoaim are the same in the PINNED post about hacking the umd.

xbill

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 03:59:00 AM »

You'd better post exactly what items you changed and the values you changed them to, otherwise it's gonna be hard to figure out what's wrong with your edits.

If the values are significantly different from the original values you can get freeze ups.

Zooming after making mods can lock up the game, too.  In that case you need to set your zoom modifiers to 1.0.

xbill

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:15:00 AM »

I've seen some folks setting m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision to 99999
This is ridiculous because this setting has nothing to do with weapon accuracy.
Remember science class ?  Precision and accuracy are not the same thing.
This is a case in point.
m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision determines how many lines (facets) are used to
render the autoaiming circle.   If you set m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision=8, you'd get an octagonal autoaim "circle"   If you set it to 4, you'd get a square.   Setting it to 99999 tells the engine to draw a circle using 99999 facets - this will slow your game down noticeably or even freeze it if you have the autoaiming circle enabled.  The engine is spending way too
much time drawing a stupid autoaiming circle.   Again, this has nothing to do with the accuracy of your weapon.  

Keep m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision low (between 4 and 30)

SickJoda

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 08:15:00 AM »

ya i have the same problem, i do what u told me bill to keep thoes at 1.0 but they always change to 1.5 and it freezes. it makes me mad. iono wht to do

ModXTRA

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »

All items in bold are items that I changed

m_fRetStationaryAccuracyModifier=9.0f
m_fRetWalkingAccuracyModifier=9.0f
m_fRetWalkingFastAccuracyModifier=8.0f
m_fRetDuckAccuracyBonus=10.0f
m_retColor=(R=131,G=0,B=0,A=255)
m_retFriendlyTargetColor=(R=0,G=212,B=0,A=255)
m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision=30
Display {} instead of circle
m_bAutoAimZoom=TRUE                  ; Enable auto-aim when zoooming

m_fErrorMaxSize=0.02f               ; Factor for error size when firing (using fWalkingFastAccuracy)
m_fTimeToShrink=0.5f               ; Time to go back to zero error.  (1/m_fTimeToShrink sec.)
m_fJumpSize=0.02

(Also after comparing my autoaim section to the PINNED one I believe that since my autoaim circle is TRUE for it to be shown that might be the problem.  XBill might be right that the the engine is spending too much time drawing the autoaim circle.  So I will try making mine exact with every little detail to the PINNED and see how that works.)

This post has been edited by ModXTRA: Jul 11 2005, 04:37 PM

MN-Mod-Man

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »

Why? Even just for Shit and Giggles why even play a game if you NEED Auto Aim, How the hell do you take a piss? you need Auto Aim for that to? grr.gif

ModXTRA

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »

I just wanted to mess with the game and see the shit you can do with it.  Its not like I need it or anything.  I just did this and will just do more just do mess with the game and see what it is capable of.

As for the topic, just make sure it is the same as the PINNED because I did that and its not freezing anymore.  Oh yeah and I don't know about anyone else that did this, but my guns actually seem more inaccurate and not once pulled the aimer on anyones head. :(

This post has been edited by ModXTRA: Jul 11 2005, 05:06 PM

xbill

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(ModXTRA @ Jul 11 2005, 05:11 PM)
All items in bold are items that I changed

m_fRetStationaryAccuracyModifier=9.0f
m_fRetWalkingAccuracyModifier=9.0f
m_fRetWalkingFastAccuracyModifier=8.0f
m_fRetDuckAccuracyBonus=10.0f
m_retColor=(R=131,G=0,B=0,A=255)
m_retFriendlyTargetColor=(R=0,G=212,B=0,A=255)
m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision=30
Display {} instead of circle
m_bAutoAimZoom=TRUE      ; Enable auto-aim when zoooming

m_fErrorMaxSize=0.02f       ; Factor for error size when firing (using fWalkingFastAccuracy)
m_fTimeToShrink=0.5f       ; Time to go back to zero error.  (1/m_fTimeToShrink sec.)
m_fJumpSize=0.02

(Also after comparing my autoaim section to the PINNED one I believe that since my autoaim circle is TRUE for it to be shown that might be the problem.  XBill might be right that the the engine is spending too much time drawing the autoaim circle.  So I will try making mine exact with every little detail to the PINNED and see how that works.)

Those values are too large - and check for the zoom modifiers too - put them all to 1.0.  Those large values are freezing your game.  

I have posted about autoaim in the past and in reviewing the autoaim I may not have been correct about how the autoaim works.  
The larger the autoaim circle - the larger the cone of bullets (but not necessarily a  guaranteed killshot)   In testing shots with a larger circle, all that was necessary was to put the target somewhere in the circle - not the center necessarily - and you could kill with one shot, but it doesnt seem to work all the time.

Gmail

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »

can someone please translate what editing these values with higher/lower digits would do?

m_fRetHysteresis

m_iRetAimingCirclePrecision & m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision

xbill

• Archived User
Autoaim And Umd Size
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Gmail @ Aug 8 2005, 03:07 AM)
can someone please translate what editing these values with higher/lower digits would do?

m_fRetHysteresis

m_iRetAimingCirclePrecision & m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision

m_fRetHysteresis as the name implies affects hysteresis in some part of the aiming/reticle usage.   Hysteresis in a system allows for a range of variance so two or more states wont keep snapping back and forth.  Like an air conditioner's control doesn't snap the air condifioner on and off precisely at a given temperature, there is a range in which it will vary so the on and off states will not be abrupt, constantly popping on and off.

Now, how the hysteresis works it the game, I have not quite figured out yet.
You'll have to experiment.

The m_iRetAimingCirclePrecision & m_iRetAutoAimCirclePrecision are purely for rendering the reticle aiming circle.   They do not determine accuracy of your aim.  There are already posts on this, but to help you here, now, the number for theses variables determines how many sides the aiming "circle" has.   The higher the number, the more sides, or facets the circle has.   If you set the number to 4 you would get a square, or with 8 you would get and octagon.  
If you set these numbers higher than 30, the engine will spend more time than necessary to draw the circle.  Keep these numbers between 4 and 30.