xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Install Morrowind Twice?  (Read 639 times)

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Install Morrowind Twice?
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »

i beleive you can hex-edit it to save in 2 diff places, someone correct me if i'm wrong.  biggrin.gif

XT-

Clockface

• Archived User
Install Morrowind Twice?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(delukard @ Jan 22 2009, 02:07 PM) View Post

Hi i was wondering if it's possible to install morrowind twice on the xbox.
For example copy my morrowind dvd with dvd2 xbox and rename it to something different so i can have it as back up, and then, copy it again and keep that one for mods.
is just that i'm trying some mods and it's time consuming to rip the game over and over again.

Or can a rip the game to HD and then ftp the game to my pc as backup and when i need it back on the xbox ftp that backup again?
Or does it need to always be ripped with dvd2xbox s it works?

I think you can have the same game installed more than once on your XBox hard drive, as any game (or program) can only access the data in it's own folder/directory structure.

A slight problem is that the game name will appear twice in the Evo-X games menu, and you'd have to remember which of the identical names refers to which installation. But you can solve that by using Unleash-X to rename the internal name of the     default.xbe    file (the default.xbe file contains the name of the game, in this case Morrowind GOTY, and using Unleash-X you could rename it to anything you like, such as Morrowind Modded, or Morrowind not modded, etc).

The only real problem is that both versions of the game might access the same save/load folder, so that all saves went into the same directory on your hard drive. I don't think that this would be a problem, except that you'd have to be careful not to load a save from one version of the game into the other version of the game, as that might confuse the game due to the save referencing altered or non-existant data. Then again, by renaming one version of the game, say to Morrowind with mods, or whatever name you choose, then maybe the checksum of the new name would cause this version of the game to use a different save directory.

One bit of good news is that Morrowind GOTY takes up relatively little hard drive space, less than a GB unmodified, so space won't be a problem.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on.