xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Whats Your Favorite Band  (Read 2479 times)

Server4001

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »

Modest Mouse (even though nobody's heard of them).  Jimi Hendrix is the man!

IndieSnob

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (Server4001 @ May 2 2004, 01:46 PM)
Modest Mouse (even though nobody's heard of them).  Jimi Hendrix is the man!

I think everyone's heard of them now with the way Epic is advertising the album on Target ads now. I used to love Modest Mouse but their last two releases have been pretty sub-standard.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

wink.gif

not saying that anyone here does this, as i dont know you personally but i know a bunch of people who only like a band before they become popular, even if its only for a few weeks before they become "too commercial"... these same people also relish in that they 'love' a certain bad that 'nobodies probably heard of'... and that, i think, is an even more appropriate example of musical shallowness than liking the current pop band...

yet again, im not saying that anyone here is guilty of this heinous act...  wink.gif

*and yes, ive heard of modest mouse and have a few albums...

silentsnake

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2004, 07:32:00 AM »

Wu Tang Clan bitches !

Server4001

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (Colonel32 @ May 3 2004, 12:10 AM)
I've heard of modest mouse I think - they are an Epic band right. I am a fan of any band who uses Bottlegs the way they do smile.gif

Wow, i didnt think anybody had heard of them... Theyre newer stuff is crap compared to their old stuff though.

IndieSnob

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (gcskate27 @ May 2 2004, 09:16 PM)
^ ive always liked your name indiesnob, no matter what it says below...  wink.gif

not saying that anyone here does this, as i dont know you personally but i know a bunch of people who only like a band before they become popular, even if its only for a few weeks before they become "too commercial"... these same people also relish in that they 'love' a certain bad that 'nobodies probably heard of'... and that, i think, is an even more appropriate example of musical shallowness than liking the current pop band...

yet again, im not saying that anyone here is guilty of this heinous act...  wink.gif

*and yes, ive heard of modest mouse and have a few albums...

Heh, with me it's more of a tounge in cheek handle than anything. I myself am far from a scenester as I refuse to run around with a bunch of kids in chucks and dyed black hair, and I'm much more open to alot of music, even some popular stuff. I also don't go for the whole 'if the band gets big I don't like them anymore' deal. I dislike Modest Mouse now because they've lost touch with their earlier sound, and are now being over-produced. One case of a band I still love even though they've become so huge is the Flaming Lips. Once Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots came out they hit an all time high, but yet Wayne Coyne consistantly makes brilliant music, whether it's their early pysch-semi post punkish material to their more lush electronic stuff as of late. To me Soft Bulletin (their second to last album) was the best album of the 90's, and one of the best wall of sound type produced albums ever.

BloodyMary

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (IndieSnob @ May 4 2004, 01:52 AM)
Heh, with me it's more of a tounge in cheek handle than anything

Not intentionally meaning to insult you (of course, it will anyway)... I've always thought the name IndieSnob sounded like a ball-licker... of course that guy in the picture, in your signature:

user posted image

He looks like a ball-licker, either that, or like he's about to bite his own wrist and suck the blood from it...

Scary man,... scary...

Rwolf

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2004, 07:33:00 AM »

1: Marcy playground
2: Ok-Go
3: Presidents of the United States of America
4: Aqua

gcskate27

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (BloodyMary @ May 4 2004, 04:41 AM)
I've always thought the name IndieSnob sounded like a ball-licker...

now thats an interesting interpretation...  blink.gif

nemt

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

Hm..

The Beastie Boys (before they started playing "omgpolitixlol" music)
The Offspring
Royce 5'9
Air
Dispatch
ELO
Yes
Ice Cube
Kurtis Blow
Jefferson Airplane
Peter Gabriel
Tone Loc

Overall...I guess the Beastie Boys are my favorite.

IndieSnob

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »

QUOTE (BloodyMary @ May 4 2004, 01:41 AM)
Not intentionally meaning to insult you (of course, it will anyway)... I've always thought the name IndieSnob sounded like a ball-licker... of course that guy in the picture, in your signature:

user posted image

He looks like a ball-licker, either that, or like he's about to bite his own wrist and suck the blood from it...

Scary man,... scary...

I couldn't possibly take an uninformed statement as an insult. Indie Snob has been a term throughout the independent music scene for 30+ years, so if some random person wants to think it's about 'licking balls' so be it.

As for the person in my sig, that is none other than Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth. He's far from a ball licker, he's married to Kim Gordon (bassist from SY) and most newer indie/alternative music owes alot to what he did with guitar sounds and structures (mostly open tuning, which to be fair he did also borrow alot from Zappa).

nemt

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2004, 12:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (Colonel32 @ May 4 2004, 03:07 PM)
You listen to King Crimson at all ?? - thats the band that Bruford left YES to play in, you might like it - check out some of the old stuff. Fripp is a maniac.

Never heard of it, what's their best track?

IndieSnob

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

20th Century Schizoid Man, from the album In The Court Of King Crimson is all I have to say. Hot shit.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »

I'm not too big on the popular music though. I listen to Black Eyed Peas, Nickelback, Evanescnece and Michael Jackson the most....

sorry, but that just had to be highlighted... not that im making fun of music choices mind you...  wink.gif

nemt

• Archived User
Whats Your Favorite Band
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2004, 01:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (IndieSnob @ May 5 2004, 04:58 PM)
20th Century Schizoid Man, from the album In The Court Of King Crimson is all I have to say. Hot shit.

Couldn't find it anywhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8