xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Gamecube Hacked!  (Read 2011 times)

Zero

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2003, 09:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (poiygon @ Sep 27 2003, 04:55 AM)
Gawd. What good will backups do?

Rent a game, make a backup.  Not that any of us do that with Xbox games  rolleyes.gif

Psilocybe

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »

but that will not do any good as of now when you can't play them

you can switch up the top of the game cube so that it'll read full size dvds, you can also buy mini dvd-r disks

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2003, 09:43:00 PM »

smile.gif

ADAWG69

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (poiygon @ Sep 27 2003, 05:55 AM)
Gawd. What good will backups do? Just keep good care of your discs. Anyway, the only good thing that will come from this modchip is more interest in GC dev.  Oh well, I guess piracy will never cease.

You are tight about it will lead to more piracy. That is probably one of the main reasons to hack a GC. But it will also lead to some great homebrew developments. So who knows what the future will hold for GC hacking. But I do know that in order to hook up a normal DVD rom to the GC you have to somehow adapt the 80 wires withing the DVD rom cord to work for the GC, which as you might of guessed is pretty fucking hard.

Psilocybe

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2003, 10:27:00 PM »

or you could just buy a panisonic gc

Odb718

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2003, 01:15:00 AM »

wink.gif

FawnTheGuyver

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2003, 04:12:00 AM »

I cant wait to tell a friend about the hack
He have always say that the game cube is soooooo good secured that a hack never will be possible

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2003, 05:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (Troed @ Sep 27 2003, 08:55 AM)
Well, the GC still isn't hacked. A bug in PSO (similar to the bug in Windows that caused the Blaster worm you could say) allows execution of 3rd party code - but you still have to have both PSO and the ethernet adapter and it has nothing to do with any protection in the cube.

Next we have the rumours of modchips - and do notice they say you'll need external hardware to read discs. This might well be more than just reading full size dvdr - it could be that the modchips won't make the internal disc-reader allow burned discs at all. That would be a huge victory for Nintendo since anyone wanting to pirate games would need expensiva external hardware like the Magicom for SNES or Doctor-64 for Nintendo 64.

No widespread piracy (as on the Xbox) means game developers will still be happy and Nintendo will still be happy - and their protections have succeeded.

Except they still can't sell units to anybody but the Japanese in quantities to matter, and Sony has stolen much of their "home audience"

There are industry rumors that Nintendo is going to pull a SEGA, except for portable hardware (GBx, possibly PGC). They banked a lot on N64 and GC, and their margins are a whole lot tighter than Sony and even M$ - except their title-to-hardware ration stinks to high heaven.

The funny thing is, wide-spread piracy might actually HELP the big "N" - by improving the popularity. To be honest, piracy has not hurt M$ bottom line in any of it's products, and likely kept Xbox in the spotlight in the gaming community. I know my modded Xbox has influenced the purchase of at least 5 Xboxes by others at work who have not modded them at all (and have bought lots of games for the kids). That's publicity, of a sort.

How many here have bought Xboxes months in advance of modding, and bought games to go with? I'd say plenty. Same is true of Sony's PSX and PS2.

I know two people who have Gamecubes. One's collecting dust because he bought an Xbox, the other says he's sorry he got it, because his kids don't like the games (they got two with the system, rent alot) and still play their PSX more. Between the two of them, they've purchased maybe 4 games...

The GC might be a decent system, but let's face it, it probably isn't worth modding at any price - but even so, opening the door might have improved it's chances, as strange as it sounds.

sharkeater

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2003, 08:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (Troed @ Sep 27 2003, 02:24 PM)

Nintendo has also been making money on the GC hardware the whole time - which means they're making MORE money than MS by a huge margin.

i believe you are right in saying that the gamecube has outsold the xbox (by a SMALL margin, not HUGE)  but the gamecubes not bein selling enough software, Ms's plan is to make money through software and lure them in with the cheapness of the console, and it worked, they have made more money than nintendo have. this is also backed up with reliable sources

Troed

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2003, 08:45:00 AM »

QUOTE (sharkeater @ Sep 27 2003, 04:22 PM)
Ms's plan is to make money through software and lure them in with the cheapness of the console, and it worked, they have made more money than nintendo have. this is also backed up with reliable sources

Feel free to name a single one. MS is losing so much money on the sponsoring of the Xbox price that the attach ratio would need to be 14:1 to make money. It's just aboe 5:1 if memory serves me correctly. Nintendo on the other hand don't even need it to be 2:1.

Case closed.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2003, 02:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (Troed @ Sep 27 2003, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (sharkeater @ Sep 27 2003, 04:22 PM)
Ms's plan is to make money through software and lure them in with the cheapness of the console, and it worked, they have made more money than nintendo have. this is also backed up with reliable sources

Feel free to name a single one. MS is losing so much money on the sponsoring of the Xbox price that the attach ratio would need to be 14:1 to make money. It's just aboe 5:1 if memory serves me correctly. Nintendo on the other hand don't even need it to be 2:1.

Case closed.

Wow.

And the numbers to support your case? The Gamecube is roughly equivalent to an Xbox, minus the $25 HD, but adding the expense of a specific processor and specialized DVD drive.

I'd say production costs may be close to the same, and given the way M$ leverages suppliers pricing (witness nVidia's jolly rogering), the Xbox might even cost LESS than a GameCube.

So how does that equate to your bizarre 14:1 Xbox ratio and 2:1 Nintendo ratio?? It doesn't.

Where does MY info come from? It comes from industry people - people close to Nintendo, in fact.

Tribal Prophet

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »

dry.gif

Tribal Prophet

psychogoblin

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2003, 05:50:00 PM »

Has anyone actually tried any of these hacks that are on the site GCDEMOS

I don't have PSO or the ethernet adapter so I can't try them myself.  I was just curious if this stuff really works or is it just a hoax like the hoax a while back ?

DaGamePimp

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2003, 01:21:00 AM »

dry.gif  ???
Bottom line is that both the GC and Xbox are trading blows for 2nd place and while they both have much to offer only time will tell .
---DGP---

EvilWays

• Archived User
Gamecube Hacked!
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2003, 03:45:00 AM »

Face it, they're both second fiddle to $ony...what else is there to say?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5