xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Netflix Vs. Blockbuster (online Dvd Rentals)  (Read 210 times)

sulfur

• Archived User
Netflix Vs. Blockbuster (online Dvd Rentals)
« on: April 20, 2005, 03:40:00 PM »

Netflix vs. Blockbuster

I've tried both and only 1 can win, so isn't of giving it to you at the end, i'll just tell you i like netflix. Netflix has for me a 1day turnaround where blockbuster is 2-3. i'm in Atlanta  and both blockbuster and Netflix has shipping area close to atlanta. My biggest concern is that blockbusters wait time is insane, out of my 10 or so movies on the wait list. only 3 were "no wait" and 1 of those took an extra 3days to get to my house. I had some random movies on my list too, some old some new, I don't understand what is up with that.With Netflix i only had 1 "short wait" and that was b/c it was a new release indy film. Netflix only screwed up one time for me, send me wrong dvd. but it was corrected and i was sent the proper one in a very short time.

will add more later.

the post below pretty much is the same as mine.

This post has been edited by sulfur: Apr 21 2005, 02:13 PM

Raver758

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »

Netflix is better because it has a lot more DVDs then blockbuster has. Its locations are more then the local blockbuster warehouse’s and you can find a lot of a limited releases that you can’t on blockbuster. So really isn’t any competition, your like comparing lcd  vs. plasma.

=================
Netflix vs. Blockbuster: The Queue Battle
Now that Blockbuster has had some time to get their act together, I wanted to compare the movie availability of both services. Netflix has dramatically improved their movie inventory in the past year -- I have two "waits" out of more than 250 movies (would whoever has the Shawshank Redemption out please return it?). Blockbuster Online has less than half of my selections available for rental.

I decided to use a popular list of movies to compare the services (rather than my rather bizarre taste in movies), so I add the American Film Institute's excellent "100 Years... 100 Films" list to my Netflix and Blockbuster queues.

Here are the results:

Netflix:

90 movies available now
6 movies awaiting release
4 movies are not carried by Netflix
Blockbuster Online

67 movies available now
9 movies on short wait
4 movies on long wait
7 movies on very long wait
5 movies are coming soon
8 movies are not carried by Blockbuster

=======================

Blockbuster has one drawback that Netflix doesn't have. Blockbuster makes you wait until Tuesday before they ship their New Releases, which could stall your viewing time of these movies while Netflix is kind enough (and smart enough to realize that the mail is not THAT fast) to send their New Release selections out on Monday instead of Tuesday which gives you a MUCH better chance of actually getting and seeing the New Release on the actual day it is released.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/netflix/2004...ix_vs_bloc.html

I Want More CowBell

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 05:52:00 AM »

um...i'd say blockbuster...i've heard too many complaints about netflix time of delivery being slow!

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 05:56:00 AM »

Why can only one of them win? Dont we have multiple rental stores anyways? So, why cant we have multiple online rental places?

I Want More CowBell

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 05:57:00 AM »

im guessin b/c these 2 are like the best known for

aswilbourn

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 06:55:00 AM »

In the Uk I'd have to say ScreenSelect is the way to go. They have a f*ckin massive collection.....erm,  there was no need to swear there, i apologise. Just got abit over excited.

Raver758

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »

netflix is only takes a day for me in the mail, guess its where you live, but overall there is more netflix warehouses then blockbuster warehouses meaning closer locations to people. netflix carries all the limited release movies and blockbuster does not have any of them. Blockbuster just came out they were losing money badly and wanted more money so they tried to be the next netflix but there actully not going to go far with it.

LepPpeR

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

I live about 20 miles from my netflix distro.  Its great, Mail in one day get the other the next.

I love it.

I Want More CowBell

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(LepPpeR @ Apr 21 2005, 02:18 PM)
I live about 20 miles from my netflix distro.  Its great, Mail in one day get the other the next.
I love it.

you lucky lazy man you!  :)

ghwanderer

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 06:27:00 AM »

netflix is sooo much better. The longest wait i have heard of is like2-3 days when you live a ways away from the local distribution center. I turn mine b4 i go to work at my local post office and i get the email saying they have received it later that night next dvd gos out the next day and takes a day to get there, how could it get any faster :D .

Raziaar

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »

So you guys are satisfied with Netflix? I have a distribution site that is about 20 or so miles from me, maybe less I think in Dallas Texas. Will this typically ensure an overnight or 1 day delivery time? It would be nice to make sure before doing it.

Also, there's no monthly limit right? I have done alot of research, and with the netflix calculator found at http://frogcircus.org/netflix/ it mentions something about maximum rentals per month? Is this just in theory, or an actuality? I have about 150 movies on my desired list should I sign up to any of these sites... and want to make sure that if I get whatever plan, from the 3 to 6 out at a time plans... that I can do as many as I want, as fast as I want. So if I was crazy enough about watching them, I could have 6, watch 6 in half a day or whatever(figuratively speaking), and send them back the same day I recieve them or next day?

sulfur

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(Raziaar @ Apr 27 2005, 02:33 AM)
So you guys are satisfied with Netflix? I have a distribution site that is about 20 or so miles from me, maybe less I think in Dallas Texas. Will this typically ensure an overnight or 1 day delivery time? It would be nice to make sure before doing it.

Also, there's no monthly limit right? I have done alot of research, and with the netflix calculator found at http://frogcircus.org/netflix/ it mentions something about maximum rentals per month? Is this just in theory, or an actuality? I have about 150 movies on my desired list should I sign up to any of these sites... and want to make sure that if I get whatever plan, from the 3 to 6 out at a time plans... that I can do as many as I want, as fast as I want. So if I was crazy enough about watching them, I could have 6, watch 6 in half a day or whatever(figuratively speaking), and send them back the same day I recieve them or next day?

there are plans that have a monthly limit, but thats only the cheapest plan $11/month.

The standard $17/month is unlimited 3 out at a time. I went through about 35 in the two months i had netflix. I'm using my free blockbuster month now, going to switch back after its over.