xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hl2 Hacking ?  (Read 748 times)

xbill

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »

Just wondering if anyone is still interested in hacking this.  

A few people started a new forum but I think have abandoned it.    The focus seemed to be on building custom editing tools.

I don't think a bunch specialized editing  tools are necessary.   An HL2 editor is not really needed.  GCFScape is probably the only tool that is needed.  

Much can be accomplished with a few simple hex edits and then use scripting.  
The scripting works well and is mostly the same as the PC version.

Using scripts you can make all kinds of new aliases and call other scripts to do all kinds of crazy stuff.

How about a script to dissolve enemies/objects ?   I made one that works.
Set any enemy on fire.  
Remove locked doors.
Remove the hud for screen shots.
Wireframe mode.
Spawn just about any object.
Make triggers and triggered actions.  
These are just some examples.

I still enjoy this game even though it's older and does not run as smoothly as on the PC platform.

I was hoping there might be a few die hard game hackers out there that might still be interested in hacking it.

This post has been edited by xbill: Aug 27 2008, 04:12 AM

grimdoomer

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »

I am, I'm working on a Compiler/Decompiler that will be able to build new BSP files from maps you create in hammer. You can also decompile existing maps so you can open them in hammer. If you want to talk hit me up on AIM or MSN, as I don't check these forums to often.

kasper500

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »

i wanna use keyboard and mouse with the usb adapters and maybe use the console program? i know i saw a mod where you can make it like the matrix i want one like that

This post has been edited by kasper500: Aug 30 2008, 01:17 AM

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

ive been wanting to do some hacking with this game for quite some time. i hope someone can get something out there.  biggrin.gif

XT-

update*** wow sorry fellas i really raised the dead on this one. sad.gif

Clockface

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »

Half-Life 2 on the XBox is a fantastic game, and I really would like to see PC mods (extra levels etc) running on it. Trouble is, no one seems to be (on this forum, at least) trying to hack/mod the XBox version, and I have no HL modding skills so I'm not a candidate  mad.gif

xbill

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »

I haven't been back here in quite some time.   I'm still interested in hacking HL2.

Clockface

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »

I really wish that the XBox hacking and homebrew scene hadn't died off - the XBox is such a capable console.

And I'd love to see some hacks and modifications for XBox Half-Life 2.

Please let us know if you start on any project.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »

you can count me in im down for it as well. i think that there is quite the untapped potential for the xbox. its the most versatile console i think atm. if only we had a little bit faster cpu and ram. smile.gif

GISJason

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(Clockface @ Apr 3 2010, 10:16 AM) View Post

I really wish that the XBox hacking and homebrew scene hadn't died off - the XBox is such a capable console.

It hasn't really died off at all, it's still there up on xbins, Devs and all prob just out of ideas of what else to make! Quite a boatload of apps n much more out there! It will always be there as long as the common place keeps on goin and goin biggrin.gif

If ya'll want to make something go for it, dont just sit around and fart around and wishy wishy for something to be "made"  JUST DO IT  biggrin.gif

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(Clockface @ Apr 27 2010, 08:10 AM) View Post

There are a lot of things that XBox owners want ported, but there are almost no one left to port the things, as most of the coders have left the XBox scene. We really want a flash player, a PDF viewer, an updated port of Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior (both ports are nearly perfect, but they NEED the ability for each port to save to different saves depending on which user mod is loaded, as the current ports save to the same few save slots regardless of which user mods you might have loaded), plus there are lots of freeware open source games that would be great on the XBox, such as the Marathon games and Open Arena.

On the plus side, Alien vs. Predator is being ported, and is so far very nice indeed, plus work is progressing on some emulators, including Surreal 64, but this is going slowly (fair enough, the programmers have real life to attend to). But it might be possible for other N64 emulators, or at least forks of current implementations to be ported across and give better performance and/or compatibility.

Unfortunately it requires real skill to port a game, and for most of us it's beyond our capabilities.
If we could then we would. Sadly, few of us can.

whats wrong with the current shadow warriors and doomx ports>? just asking as i dont know id like to know, it would be awesome to get those updated ports as well marathon on the box. i thought red ring was doing it then he just stopped and stopped answering pms for some reason?

Clockface

• Archived User
Hl2 Hacking ?
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(XTecuterX73 @ May 1 2010, 09:36 PM) View Post

whats wrong with the current shadow warriors and doomx ports>? just asking as i dont know id like to know, it would be awesome to get those updated ports as well marathon on the box. i thought red ring was doing it then he just stopped and stopped answering pms for some reason?

The Shadow Warrior (and Duke Nukem 64 port XDuke) are both almost perfect, except as I said they could do with being altered to save to individual save files per user added mod. Plus a virtual keyboard might be nice to add cheats and load levels during the game, etc, but it's not a necessity.

Doom also could do with both of the above features, plus it won't run Dehacked levels and stuff, but OdameX (   http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=705545   ) is due to be released soon, and will hopefully do everything we could want in a Doom port.

Yes Red Ring was working on Marathon, but as far as I know he's not posted about it in a while. I hope he resumes work on it. A500, who made XDuke, XShadow and others, claimed to have gotten Marathon and some other stuff running on the XBox, then he just disappeared. We don't know why, and never heard from him again, and judging by the ports he released of Duke Nukem 3D, Descent 1 and 2, etc, he knew what he was  doing, so it seems very unlikey that he was just stringing us along. A real dissapointment, and I wish he'd release his ports here, and hopefully carry on making more XBox stuff.