xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Half Life 2 Mod Discussion  (Read 1163 times)

entens

• Archived User
Half Life 2 Mod Discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »

Um, there is a far easier way to mess with the maps. the maps are bsp files, the same as pc halflife 2 and all other source games.

1> Get steam on your computer

2> Get HL2 on your computer

3> Get HL2 SDK from the tools tab

4> Transfer the HL2 xbox bsps to your computer.

5> Use VMEX to decompile the maps into VMF's(VMEX comes with the SDK, if you want a GUI then download VMEX2

6> Edit using the Hammer editor

7> Compile

8> Transfer back.

I havent tested this but ill post when i have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

entens

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 01:52:00 PM »

yup, it works pop.gif

just make sure that you rename an original bsp and replace it with the moddified one. Also, make sure that the map isnt cached.  If it is just delete everything in the cache and restart your xbox.

ash_link

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

Hmm, Interesting stuff. Is there anyway to edit the menu so you can mod it so it can pick your maps as well? if not, we could make a linker level where the player walks through a door to the level it chooses, think smaller!

EDIT If we can get into the Pack files where all the files are located, we can mod half-life 2 to Half-life: Source, thus answers everyone's prayers to Half-life 1 on the XBOX.

This post has been edited by ash_link: Feb 21 2006, 01:57 AM

turk645

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(ash_link @ Feb 20 2006, 07:26 PM) *

Hmm, Interesting stuff. Is there anyway to edit the menu so you can mod it so it can pick your maps as well? if not, we could make a linker level where the player walks through a door to the level it chooses, think smaller!

EDIT If we can get into the Pack files where all the files are located, we can mod half-life 2 to Half-life: Source, thus answers everyone's prayers to Half-life 1 on the XBOX.

wouldnt it just be easier to just replace the intro bsp with that, that way you could go where ever you want and not have to listen to the G-man each time you make a new game.

ash_link

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(turk645 @ Feb 21 2006, 01:46 AM) *

wouldnt it just be easier to just replace the intro bsp with that, that way you could go where ever you want and not have to listen to the G-man each time you make a new game.

Reason the HL:S idea wont work is that the data doesn't exist on the xbox version, since its meant only for HL2.
EDIT If you want to skip the intro, copy d1_trainstation.bsp on the HDD and rename intro.bsp to intro.bspold and rename "Copy of d1_trainstation1.bsp" to intro.bsp

This post has been edited by ash_link: Feb 21 2006, 02:42 AM

entens

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

not sure about this 100 percent yet but it doesnt seem that the lighting is being compiled right for xbox hl2 with hammer. either that or my test maps are really bright. ill see if i can test this and post results tomarrow.

btw, shift keys are broke

Infinite_Matrix

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 04:15:00 AM »

Um, there is a far easier way to mess with the maps. the maps are bsp files, the same as pc halflife 2 and all other source games.

1> Get steam on your computer

2> Get HL2 on your computer

3> Get HL2 SDK from the tools tab

4> Transfer the HL2 xbox bsps to your computer.

5> Use VMEX to decompile the maps into VMF's(VMEX comes with the SDK, if you want a GUI then download VMEX2

6> Edit using the Hammer editor

7> Compile

8> Transfer back.

I havent tested this but ill post when i have.

wha? i've heard from at least 20 different people that are very experieced with half life 2 PC modding that theyve tried half life 2 XBOX to edit from tools on PC version and it didnt work. I would like to see proof about this that you have transferred the xbox bsp and decompressed then edited then compressed and put back on your xbox and renamed back to the original and the effects are there. Unless I see proof then you'll be an admin/moderator/something special at my site for this game.

MSN:[email protected]
AIM:LNFLNLTE MATRIX
email:[email protected]

message me on there or pm me or somehtring just a way for you to show me proof that it's xbox and it's modded like the pc as you have said.

This post has been edited by Infinite_Matrix: Feb 21 2006, 12:17 PM

entens

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Infinite_Matrix @ Feb 21 2006, 04:46 AM) *

wha? i've heard from at least 20 different people that are very experieced with half life 2 PC modding that theyve tried half life 2 XBOX to edit from tools on PC version and it didnt work. I would like to see proof about this that you have transferred the xbox bsp and decompressed then edited then compressed and put back on your xbox and renamed back to the original and the effects are there. Unless I see proof then you'll be an admin/moderator/something special at my site for this game.

AIM:LNFLNLTE MATRIX
email:[email protected]

message me on there or pm me or somehtring just a way for you to show me proof that it's xbox and it's modded like the pc as you have said.

I got pics:

http://www.entens.net/images/hl2_1.jpg
http://www.entens.net/images/hl2_2.jpg
http://www.entens.net/images/hl2_3.jpg

They show that the SMC map pack of "Return of the Resistance" ran fine on xbox w/ the video parts working too.

Im sorry that this post didnt contain actual decompile/recompile map pics just scratch stuff.

This post has been edited by entens: Feb 21 2006, 11:46 PM

entens

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »

VIS doesnt compile the same for xbox as pc: confirmed.

anyways, when i was looking for a workaround i found this:
http://developer.val..._Custom_Content

looks like we might be able to dig a little deeper into the HL2 abyss.

Infinite_Matrix

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 01:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(entens @ Feb 21 2006, 09:21 PM) View Post

VIS doesnt compile the same for xbox as pc: confirmed.

anyways, when i was looking for a workaround i found this:
http://developer.val..._Custom_Content

looks like we might be able to dig a little deeper into the HL2 abyss.

Interesting.....

I think I'll just hex up some of the files again and edit the compatibility thing. Let's just hope that it's not a region compatibility  unsure.gif

ash_link

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »

Can someone work on being able to edit the xzp files, so we can really get hacking started? I noticed someone posted up the barebones of it somewhere.

entens

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(ash_link @ Feb 24 2006, 09:54 AM) *

Can someone work on being able to edit the xzp files, so we can really get hacking started? I noticed someone posted up the barebones of it somewhere.

it was on the free60 wiki:
XZP on free60.org

i suspect that if you can extract them(xzp's) we'll find language specific files which probably can be toggled with the xbox language setting.

Infinite_Matrix

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2006, 06:30:00 AM »

Well since I have no money left whatsoever and crackers are my dinner literally... I will just see what I can do for serving out my mods. You can continue modding this game since I see youre getting somewhere with it like turk and I are but I think I'm gonna take a break from this game for a while and just try and get some food in the house. I'll hopefully see all of you guys soon but I am not modding this game in the near future but I will still find the place to host the files...

anybody who needs me can find me on MSN

iwanttheagrocrag

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

So what does this mean we can do?

entens

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(iwanttheagrocrag @ Feb 27 2006, 11:11 AM) View Post

So what does this mean we can do?

right now it means that we can replace, modify the maps however we want but it will look like shat cause the lighting isnt compiled correctly. Even cutscene videos work. If the bsp packer works with xbox, it means that we can use custom textures/models/props with the game.

if we can crack open the xzp file, we might be able to do more. I.E if it follows standard source folder configurations, put mods in the game with a huge preformance hit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4