xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Custom Soundtracks Question - Mp3s, Ftping, Etc...  (Read 48 times)

mistafreeze

• Archived User
Custom Soundtracks Question - Mp3s, Ftping, Etc...
« on: July 23, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »

Is it possible to throw a bunch of mp3s into a specific directory and allow a game like GTA:SA to play them?  

From what I can tell, XBox soundtracks are converted to a specific sort of file...am I wrong?  I also see that there's an application for converting to some sort of XB specific soundtrack format...is there any other way to do this besides using this app?  I have a Mac and access to a PC is kind of limited right now.

Isn't there a way to just drag the mp3s over?  I've also tried burning a regular audio CD but the damn XB won't read rips...is there a app that runs from the XBox that can create XB soundtracks?

Please help!

themewin

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 07:28:00 PM »

Convert the .mp3's to .wma with WMA Workshop and use Xbox Soundtrack Editor to put them on your xbox, but that requires ftp access. I'm pretty sure that Xbox Soundtrack Editor also lets you convert mp3's to wma.

mistafreeze

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 02:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(themewin @ Jul 24 2005, 03:32 AM)
Convert the .mp3's to .wma with WMA Workshop and use Xbox Soundtrack Editor to put them on your xbox, but that requires ftp access. I'm pretty sure that Xbox Soundtrack Editor also lets you convert mp3's to wma.

so there's a special xbox specific format for the soundtracks using .wmas?  again, it's difficult for me because I'm on a Mac, but if there was a directory I could just dump the wmas into (converting would be easy)?

k1LL3r-X

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 06:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(mistafreeze @ Jul 24 2005, 03:22 AM)
I've also tried burning a regular audio CD but the damn XB won't read rips...is there a app that runs from the XBox that can create XB soundtracks?

1.You can try to burn a regular Audio CD on an CDRW but there is a difference between the Xbox Drives because some can read the RW format and some couldn't.

2.Yes there is a directory on the Xbox that you can dump your .wma files into BUT its not a 100% guarantee that your xb can play the songs than and yes that requires ftp access.
Thats complicate but i know the following: every time you copy a original soundtrack from an orig. CD the xb creates subdirectorys in e:\TDATA\fffe0000\music.
On your first soundtracks im sure its common that the names of the subdirs. are "0000","0001","0002" but its not sure that the next is "0003".It can be "000a" or "000f" and then "0010"... and thats the point the xb generate this subdirs randomly that sucks.
And the same shit happens on each .wma file in the subdir .
Thats makes it impossible to add a song manually in the subdir because there are so many possibilities that a song can be named.
Hope this helps you a lil bit ;)

mistafreeze

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(k1LL3r-X @ Jul 24 2005, 02:14 PM)
1.You can try to burn a regular Audio CD on an CDRW but there is a difference between the Xbox Drives because some can read the RW format and some couldn't.

2.Yes there is a directory on the Xbox that you can dump your .wma files into BUT its not a 100% guarantee that your xb can play the songs than and yes that requires ftp access.
Thats complicate but i know the following: every time you copy a original soundtrack from an orig. CD the xb creates subdirectorys in e:\TDATA\fffe0000\music.
On your first soundtracks im sure its common that the names of the subdirs. are "0000","0001","0002" but its not sure that the next is "0003".It can be "000a" or "000f" and then "0010"... and thats the point the xb generate this subdirs randomly that sucks.
And the same shit happens on each .wma file in the subdir .
Thats makes it impossible to add a song manually in the subdir because there are so many possibilities that a song can be named.
Hope this helps you a lil bit ;)

'

Oy...yeah that answers my question...

Another one though:  I have a Thompson drive (the crappiest one of the three)...do you know if CDRW audio burns will work with it?

Zdemon29958

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(mistafreeze @ Jul 25 2005, 02:58 AM)
'

Oy...yeah that answers my question...

Another one though:  I have a Thompson drive (the crappiest one of the three)...do you know if CDRW audio burns will work with it?

I have a thompson and dvd-r's work perfectly with it. I tried a cd-rw once and it didn't work. Yours might be different though.

twicked

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 03:35:00 PM »

It gets worse.  MS also writes each track and each sub-directory into a database file.  To ensure its proper playing and recognition you would have to manually edit the DB or, like everyone else says, do it through the soundtrack editor.

damn Database...grrr...

Thank god MS was smarter this time around with the 360.  Sexy thang.

-t

themewin

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »

I gave a simple solution and everyone basically says the same thing or tells him to do something different...jeez...

kevinlekiller

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »

Get : VirtualXboxCDRipper ( VXCR_0061 ) it converts the mp3's by itself and ftp's them to the xbox.