xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Flatout 2 - Editing In-game Music  (Read 340 times)

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
Flatout 2 - Editing In-game Music
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »

I've been playing around with some "later" X-Box games these days, just trying to get the most out of my X-Box and Flatout 2 was one of them.  I am completely floored.  The game is unbelievable.  You can tell it's pushing the X-Box to its max just by all of the physics processing, let alone the graphics.

With that said, I'm sick of listening to emo, screamo, hardcore bands while I'm driving around smashing into crap.  I have a list of songs that I'd like to replace the game's music with.  You know, just more competitive race music.

The game's music files are in .fsb format, and apparently the only way to replace them would be to make new fsb files with the FMOD Sample Bank Generator.  The program seems cool, it's just not at all easy to use and I'm not sure it will even work for the Xbox-formatted music.  I can't find a version old enough to support Xbox (and not Xbox 360), and I'm pretty sure you STILL have to be a licensed developer to have access to the Xbox version of the program.  Of course, I don't want to run the program on my Xbox for any reason, I just want a version of the program that will convert songs from my computer (any format: wav, mp3, wmv, ogg, aac, doesn't matter) to an fsb file.

I used the Sample Bank Generator once to create an FSB file from an MP3 File.  I was just testing it, so I named it "yup".  It apparently worked, but it didn't make a file ending with .fsb.  It made a yup file without an extention, a yep.h file, and a .fsbcache folder containing a yep.cache file.

I added .fsb to the end of the extentionless yep file and changed the title to 01 (making it 01.fsb) and replaced the 01.fsb file in the game's Songs 1 folder.  I played it for a while and waited for it to play the song that I had converted, but once it got to the song that I replaced, it displayed the artist and title of the song, but never played any music.  The game continued to run fine, and once the song was over, it played the next track normally.

Any ideas on how to edit the game's soundtrack?

That's really all I'm interested in, but it would be cool if someone could port the PC mods (all of the extra cars and stuff) over to the Xbox as well.  I'd love to drive a Viper into a destruction derby some day.

I tried it again with the same result.  This time I named the "project" 01 to find out if it wasn't working because of the actual name.

And again, same result with a wav file instead of an mp3.

The PC version uses ogg vorbis files, so I will try converting one of those next.  But seriously, someone please help :-)

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 05:20:00 PM »

*Cough*

Basically, what I'm asking is...does anyone know how to use FMOD?  If so, how do I convert music files (any format will do) to .FSB files.  :-)

rocky5

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(l11l1VeNoM1l11l @ Apr 15 2009, 11:36 PM) View Post

*Cough*

Basically, what I'm asking is...does anyone know how to use FMOD?  If so, how do I convert music files (any format will do) to .FSB files.  :-)

Basically its a container for 1 WAV file you need to use FMOD Sample Bank Generator Ex to make one but you need to convert your music to XADPCM (need the XDK to build this I think) or PCM for the xbox to read it though i haven't test this will do soon when the game gets here.

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(rocky5 @ Apr 18 2009, 05:19 AM) View Post

Basically its a container for 1 WAV file you need to use FMOD Sample Bank Generator Ex to make one but you need to convert your music to XADPCM (need the XDK to build this I think) or PCM for the xbox to read it though i haven't test this will do soon when the game gets here.

I am able to extract the .WAV files from the .FSBs EkszBox-ABX 2.0.

The WAV files are in Xbox ADPCM format.

Thanks to the EkszBox-ABX installer, the codec was installed automatically, and by using Goldwave I can batch-convert a ton of files from practically any format to X-ADPCM.

My only question now is how to I get the the converted songs into new .FSB packages?  I've messed around with FMOD a lot, but I still can't figure out how to do it and any tutorial I find online won't help.

I really appreciate the response.  By chance, could you step me through the repacking process?  And what version of the program do I need exactly?

rocky5

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »

already done it I sent him a wee video showing how to do it you also have to replace the header of the fsb file or it won't play in the game.

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(rocky5 @ Apr 20 2009, 04:36 AM) View Post

already done it I sent him a wee video showing how to do it you also have to replace the header of the fsb file or it won't play in the game.

Well, Rocky, you definitely put my on the right path, but I'm still a little confused.  I'm PMing you with a few questions now.  I have the same FMOD version as you, but mine looks a little different...

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Vash3k @ Apr 20 2009, 12:39 PM) View Post

Woops, you're right, Rocky. Thanks for noting that!

Rocky has been trying to help me get this to work for a while now.  He's even made me video tutorials.  Thanks to my lack of hex-editing knowledge, I think I've wasted his time.  Sorry, Rock.

HOWEVER, the solution was a lot easier than we both thought it would be.  

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS CONVERT THE SONGS YOU WANT INTO X-ADPCM FORMATTED WAVE FILES AND CHANGE THE .WAV EXTENTION TO .FSB!!!

Ridiculous.  Now, the original FSBs in the game are actually packages, not just wave files, but for some reason both ABX and Flatout 2 play the FSB-disguised .WAVs just fine.

If anyone is interested, this is how the tracks play out in the game:

Race
01.fsb
02.fsb
08.fsb
09.fsb
10.fsb
11.fsb
13.fsb
14.fsb
15.fsb
16.fsb
17.fsb
18.fsb
19.fsb
20.fsb
21.fsb
22.fsb
35.fsb
36.fsb

Menu
04.fsb
05.fsb
06.fsb
07.fsb
24.fsb

Stunt
25.fsb
26.fsb
27.fsb
28.fsb
29.fsb
30.fsb
31.fsb
32.fsb
33.fsb
34.fsb

Unknown
03.fsb
12.fsb
23.fsb

I have no idea where tracks 03, 12, and 23 are played in Flatout 2.  It may have been in The Making of Flatout 2 in Extras or something, but that section's not included in my game and it just boots me back to the main menu.

Anyway, this is just a shot in the dark, but has anyone ever messed around with the BFS 2 Unpacker program?

You can get it here.

I don't have the PC version of Flatout 2, so I don't know the difference in the file structure, but the unpacker seems to work on the Xbox version's Flatout.bfs file as well.  At least, it seems like it does, but it unexpectedly quits.  I'm not sure if this is before or after it is completely finished unpacking.

Anyone with experience on any version of Flatout 2, please feel free to private message me.  And don't go away Rocky5, you're the man and I can't thank you enough.  I could still use your help if you're up for it.