xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Own A Jeep Here  (Read 559 times)

Oger

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« on: May 02, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »

thinking about getting a 98/99 Jeep TJ 4.0 or course...

just wondering who has one and how they like it...

went crusing with the top down doors off yesterday...now that its nice out...

and damn that was wicked

iwinulose

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »

smile.gif

edit: forgot to close tags lol, my computer froze just b4 i could fix it again smile.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (iwinulose @ May 2 2004, 10:50 PM)

edit: forgot to close tags lol

Didn't do much better the 2nd time around  tongue.gif

Jeeps are very decent rides. Even in stock for a Cheroke is reasonably powerful and lifted and has decent body flex. And it's certainly not a bad cruising vehichle either. And not as slow as I'd have suspected. It'd be the first SUV in that price range I'd try to find were it me. H1 Hummers are nice, but a tad more expensive. And gas.......  dry.gif

Oger

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 11:13:00 AM »

nice nice...ya going out to look right now for some jeeps.....

aa well

ill post some stats and prices after

skeen

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 07:54:00 PM »

Jeep Cherokees are good off road vehicles from my experience, but I’ve heard they tip over easy. One thing I did notice however is they don’t take corners well. The first time I drove one I did a 360 around a corner and ended up turned around with an empty bladder.

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »

Get a hummer. Jeeps are garbage. If you want, you can roll one over using your shoulders. I wouldn't recommend getting one.

AnThRaX

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

Don't care for those jeep wranglers. I have no problem with cherokee's and liberty's.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (Videogamebuyer14 @ May 30 2004, 09:25 PM)
Get a hummer. Jeeps are garbage. If you want, you can roll one over using your shoulders. I wouldn't recommend getting one.

Yeah, let's see.  Starting price for a hummer is what, 50K?   dry.gif   And they only get about 6MPG which is NOT what you want right now considering gas prices.  Maybe if he was just getting a hummer as a weekend driver but as a regular vehicle it would be just plain dumb to buy one at this point.  I agree that a Cherokee would be my choice as well if I were going that route.  Wranglers look cool but are about the most uncomfortable ride I have EVER been in.  Even driving down the street in a wrangler feels like you are driving over boulders (bumpy as hell).  I thought it would be cool to own one until I rode in one several times.  Anyways don't get me wrong, Hummers are cool vehicles and have some amazing off-road capabilities but unless this guy actually is spending 3-4 days a week going off-roading then it is just a waste of money at this point.  Nothing pisses me off more than when I see people driving gas guzzling SUV's/Jeeps but they spend little or no time off-road.   dry.gif

moistness

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 08:02:00 AM »

huh.gif

user posted image
lada
user posted image
jeep cherokee

ph34r.gif

Neg.Nance

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 07:36:00 PM »

i have a 91' Jeep Cherokee Laredo, i like it, and to the person that said "get a hummer" unlike most hummer owners I actually go into the woods, and you know what?? most road/trails in the woods aren't 14 feet wide like the monstrosity called the hummer, ive never fell like its that tipsy, i know it has the ability to roll easy but then again i know im not in a sports car and take turns accordingly

This post has been edited by Neg.Nance on Jun 8 2004, 02:37 AM

zerphyte

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »

i do, get a 98 or higher, make sure its a 4.0L, automatic.

Best trannys, parts, etc.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

There's a reason why Tacomas and Hardbodys are popular offroad machine. Same with Jeeps. The size, stock ground clearance and weight. A Hummer is totally impratical for a lot of offroad situations.

polyesterjones

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 02:39:00 AM »

Hummers are extremely over-rated.  Depending on where you live, you may not even be able to run a Hummer on your trails (Read: getting stuck between two trees that are 20 feet apart).  Also, to whomever suggested to just "slapping on big ol' tires," a successful lift is much more complicated than that.  The Hummers have an IFS, therefore you can only lift it so much before your CV's will be hurting, and occasionally breaking.  

If you want to wheel cheaply, get yourself a foreign make.  Isuzus, Toyotas, Suzukis, Nissans, and Mistubishis can all be into very substantial off-road rigs without spending a very substantial amount of money.  

If you swapped in a 455 Buick, TH400, to an Atlas II Xfer case, Rockwells front and rear, triangulated four links, plus 44" Iroks all-around, you would have an off-road vehicle that could run with the best of them.  Hell, just build your own vehicle from the ground up.   (I can dream, can't I?)

All bullshit aside, what would you do with your Jeep?  Would you ever take it off the pavement?  Lift it for function, or lift it just for yuppie looks?  Would you just keep it a mall cruiser?  

Also, I must ask, why Jeep?  Any old person can own a Jeep.  Besides, Jeeps are for cheerleaders.    :P

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Anyone Own A Jeep Here
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (polyesterjones @ Oct 15 2004, 09:39 AM)
Hummers are extremely over-rated.  Depending on where you live, you may not even be able to run a Hummer on your trails (Read: getting stuck between two trees that are 20 feet apart).  Also, to whomever suggested to just "slapping on big ol' tires," a successful lift is much more complicated than that.  The Hummers have an IFS, therefore you can only lift it so much before your CV's will be hurting, and occasionally breaking.  

If you want to wheel cheaply, get yourself a foreign make.  Isuzus, Toyotas, Suzukis, Nissans, and Mistubishis can all be into very substantial off-road rigs without spending a very substantial amount of money.  

If you swapped in a 455 Buick, TH400, to an Atlas II Xfer case, Rockwells front and rear, triangulated four links, plus 44" Iroks all-around, you would have an off-road vehicle that could run with the best of them.  Hell, just build your own vehicle from the ground up.   (I can dream, can't I?)

All bullshit aside, what would you do with your Jeep?  Would you ever take it off the pavement?  Lift it for function, or lift it just for yuppie looks?  Would you just keep it a mall cruiser?  

Also, I must ask, why Jeep?  Any old person can own a Jeep.  Besides, Jeeps are for cheerleaders.    tongue.gif

Thanks for some support. Jeeps aren't that bad though. Stock there's quite a few that have decent gearing, strong axles, etc. Add to that being able to interchange parts from one jeep to the next while modding and you can make a nice vehichle relatively cheap. One of my good friends has a Jeep Cherokee. He's currently running 6 inches of lift, 3 body, 3 suspension. Couple that with the 34" ? Tires and it's a formidable offroad machine. So most recently he decided to swap gearing to 4.56s. We took care of the rear differential, but then it occured to someone that a carrier for the front end may be required. The beaty of Jeeps ois that to get an appropriate carrier he merely needs to find a scrapped 4 banger Cherokee or Wrangler. And certainly his Cherokee is considerably more powerful then my Hardbody stock vs. stock.