xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Car Subwoofer, Home Stereo, How?  (Read 137 times)

MWTBDLTR

• Archived User
Car Subwoofer, Home Stereo, How?
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

Ok people, i just got back from my dads house, along with a old car subwoofer that he had never used, and of course i gotta use it, but i dont have a car.... hummmm, what to do with it?

So i decided im gonna hook it up to my home stereo. I already made a box for it, and now i cant figure out how to wire it in without any high frequencys going to it, since my stereo doesnt have an sub-out on it.

I already have an old car active crossover, but i dont think that i can use it since theres the electricity problem, and i dont kno where i could get 12v for it, the ground, and the other red wire. I looked around online and the only thing i could find was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I think that would work, if i would just run the outputs from my stereo directly to the inputs in the crossover, it would take out anything above 100hz an take that to the sub, and then hookup my bookshelf speakers to the outputs that only give out 200hz or higher. WOULD THIS WORK FOR ME??? Thanks
 <

pb2themax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

Sounds a little 'Sanford & Sons' to me. I've seen people try to do this kind of stuff before, and it's usually a lot of wiring, rigging, and doesn't really sound that good.

But if you insist, You first need to check the ohm rating of each channel on your stereo (probably 8 ohms), and make sure it matches the sub. If it's a 4 ohm sub the stereo will probably overload or get hot.

<

socrates

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

Why bother man? home theaters in a box come dirt cheap these days and most of them have a really good subwoofer that can pound, my kenwood pounds really nicely :) <

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(socrates @ Apr 5 2005, 08:32 AM)
Why bother man? home theaters in a box come dirt cheap these days and most of them have a really good subwoofer that can pound, my kenwood pounds really nicely :)

Thats what I bought a while back. What I did was swapped the Kenwood paper sub for an Eclipse car stereo sub (wires up the exact same) and man did that make a huge ass difference.
 <

socrates

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »

Really??? i never thought of doing that, how did ya get the sub open? i tried but i would need to ripp it open and tear the cloth to get to the screws, mine is the 80watt sub <

celinedrules

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »

The front of the cloth cover comes off. All of the speakers are like that. <

Electro Nation

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 10:11:00 PM »

Mod Edit: Post was offensive.

This post has been edited by sulfur: Apr 6 2005, 08:18 AM <

celinedrules