xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Mednafenx-nes - Nes Emulator For Xbox V10.5pb (public Beta)  (Read 6212 times)

Koitsu

• Archived User
Mednafenx-nes - Nes Emulator For Xbox V10.5pb (public Beta)
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

it's funny, because i'd just started using playlists about a week before this public beta. it just seemed cool to have a couple of songs play randomly when a certain emulator and theme popped up. which works fine once the playlist is set and the songs are set to shuffle

anyway, i believe that the x-port playlists weren't necessarily meant to run across emulators. if you take a look at the m3u files, it seems that a lot of them list the directories of their music files as just something like "D:/emuskins/sonic/sonic.mp3", or "D:/emuskins/lom/domina.mp3".

so yeah, they'd work fine playing from their specific emulators, but in another emulator, 'D:/emuskins' wouldn't be their default. aside from revamping all the other emulators, the only other way would be to edit all the m3u playlist files in notepad, and set true directories for each song, like 'F:/emu/neogenesis/emuskins/sonic/sonic.mp3'. they should play anywhere for any xport emulator with playlists that way.

Xmodder deluX

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

Hey madmab, thanks for fixing the crc's on the cheat codes.  That's really cool.
Now I have another suggestion for you.  Ok, the controllers for player 1 and player 2 are mapped to xbox ports 1 and 2.  Could there be an option to turn on in order to map them to xbox ports 3 and 4 as well?  I know this would be helpful in Mini Putt (a great multiplayer game by the way).  You can play with 4 players in that game, but you only can use two controllers.

Thanks for you time.
~XmD

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xmodder deluX @ Aug 4 2009, 02:02 PM) View Post
Hey madmab, thanks for fixing the crc's on the cheat codes. That's really cool.
Now I have another suggestion for you. Ok, the controllers for player 1 and player 2 are mapped to xbox ports 1 and 2. Could there be an option to turn on in order to map them to xbox ports 3 and 4 as well? I know this would be helpful in Mini Putt (a great multiplayer game by the way). You can play with 4 players in that game, but you only can use two controllers.

That's a good Idea because,
I just recently had my port 2 acting funny (I'll have to look into it)
but it could be cool to allocate controllers to different ports,  in this event.
maybe it is already possible...? smile.gif

Or,
people could just fix it or deal, and not bug madmab with it. laugh.gif
(like me)

RAMblur

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:00 AM »

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...  madmad, Gilles9999, RessurectionX, Mega Man (?) and anyone else involved.

madmab, excellent job on re-vamping this emulator. This will surely make everyone happy. I know I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. wink.gif Keep up the excellent work.

Now for the bad news, I checked out your playlist fixed version and the the volume is broken (oops, broken in previous release too) If you change it, it minuses out, the only way to regain is go back in the ini and zero out bgmvolume. Seems to only happen with playlist audio.

example:
sfxvolume=0
bgmvolume=-9840
mcdvolume=0
cdavolume=0
movvolume=0

Sorry for the bad news!

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2009, 03:37:00 AM »

Yeah sometimes it does that but I have not figured out exactly why or when it happens.  Hopefully at some point I'll be able to narrow it down.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xmodder deluX @ Aug 4 2009, 08:12 PM) View Post

I think I have found another bug.  During a game if you go into game utilities and view text file and then return to the game, the music for the emulator runs full blast.  You can turn it down with the right thumbstick and turn the game music up as well.  Just a heads up.   smile.gif

Did you ever try this above madmab and see if it happened to you too?  Come to think of it, I had messed around with txt files a bit before while testing your new builds and that very well may have been one of the things that I did that made the volume go to full blast again the few times it would seem to do it for no apparent reason.

I'll have to try it out this weekend and let you know if I see the same thing.

Any ideas on how to get the wordwrap function to work right so we can start getting some gamefaqs together?  It's kind of an next-to-impossible and hardly worthwhile effort with the way the wordwrap works (doesn't work) now.

Oh.... and I'm working on a surprise especially for you.

Later,
~Rx

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

Now for the bad news, I checked out your playlist fixed version and the the volume is broken (oops, broken in previous release too) If you change it, it minuses out, the only way to regain is go back in the ini and zero out bgmvolume. Seems to only happen with playlist audio.

ok I think I got this one.  It's due to a misnamed variable when I split of the mp3CDDA and CDDA volume controls into seperate variables.  The mix-up actually happens when the user plays a game.

I'm not gonna upload a new version just yet I wanna tweak around with the wordwrap code in the text file viewer.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Aug 7 2009, 07:08 PM) View Post

I'm not gonna upload a new version just yet I wanna tweak around with the wordwrap code in the text file viewer.

I won't go into details on how excited that just made me for fear of getting a mod warning here too.

You my boy...  cool.gif

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Xmodder deluX @ Aug 7 2009, 11:22 PM) View Post

Is there any chance that this could happen?
Well that kinda creates a problem.  Like...

How to handle conflicts when both controller 1 and controller 3 are used at the same time.  For example a player on controller 1 presses d-pad left and a player on controller 3 presses the A button.

Some emulated systems literally freak when two directions are pressed simultaneously (like pressing both left and right on a dpad).

On another note.... good news for me!

I finally found a BFM debug BIOS that my Xbox actually likes that can access the F partition and allow me to access the normal E partition from the Xbox Neighborhood icon.  This means alot less hassle for me jumping thru hoops when trying to debug or work on the systems that I have stored on drive F because they use larger files!!  Been trying to fix this for about a year now..  laugh.gif

2ndly.  I think I got the text viewer to word wrap correctly.  It had two issues.. It didn't properly word-wrap and it would double space stuff.  I won't know 100% till I can tinker with it in the AM since I had to go into work.

3rdly.  The media browser does not like some of the larger .jpg files for some reason and it was mistakenly labelling them as potentially bad.  A good example is the 10 yard fight manuals.  Which are wider than they are are tall.  It kicks out an out of memory error, even on emu's that use less memory.  So they may need to be resized.  Anyways I removed the option it gives to "delete" these bad files since that is probably a bad idea.  laugh.gif

RAMblur

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »

ok I think I got this one. It's due to a misnamed variable when I split of the mp3CDDA and CDDA volume controls into seperate variables. The mix-up actually happens when the user plays a game.

Sounds great madmab. Just one question, you said "The mix-up actually happens when the user plays a game," what if I haven't selected a game and this still happens? In other words, while testing this I haven't loaded any games only launched emu, selected playlist then adjusted volume. I realize you also said "It's due to a misnamed variable..." so I was just hoping to clarify.

Will be looking forward to test new release.

On a side note:

I finally found a BFM debug BIOS that my Xbox actually likes that can access the F partition and allow me to access the normal E partition from the Xbox Neighborhood icon. This means alot less hassle for me jumping thru hoops when trying to debug or work on the systems that I have stored on drive F because they use larger files!! Been trying to fix this for about a year now.. laugh.gif

I am interested in your results... has been bugging me also, especially accessing the normal E, already have access to F though.

Again, let me say Thank You for your hard work and this soon to be Most Excellent release.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

The code changes the wrong variable when a game is started so the problem occurs at that moment.  But is not noticeable until aftwards when the user tries to change the music volume or exits and reloads the emu.

The debug bios I switched to is TATX and it kinda works like this (from the PC).

B: "volume" is the fully mapped E: drive
D: "Active Title Media" is mapped to whatever the current application running has it set to.
E: "Game Development Volume" is the debug directory itself where it stores all your compiled emulators
F: "Memory Unit 1A" is mapped to the F: drive.  I'm not sure if this changes when a mem card is plugged in.

When running the programs/emu/whatever all the drives are mapped as normal.  So I can actually access the larger files that I keep on drive F:.  Making things alot easier to test.

RAMblur

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Aug 9 2009, 02:57 PM) View Post

The code changes the wrong variable when a game is started so the problem occurs at that moment.  But is not noticeable until aftwards when the user tries to change the music volume or exits and reloads the emu.

Happens to me without doing any of the above. I took the ini from saves that the emu created, edited rom dir etc. and placed it in the emu dir so I can force reload. Just launching emu and changing volume with playlist selected and I lose volume. There is an audible disk noise that follows if I attempt to adjust the volume. File viewer shows that the playlist is still active. I hope this info helps. Any ideas?

QUOTE(madmab @ Aug 9 2009, 02:57 PM) View Post

B: "volume" is the fully mapped E: drive

Umm... did that require a special file or edit in dxt?

By the way, thanks for the info and I take it that is the bios in the usual place?

Thank you for your hard work, time and effort into this project.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »

I FINALLY SOLVED THE BUG FOR THE NEW BETA WITH TXTFILE WORDWRAP!!!!

Here's my notes guys.   I highlighted suggested fixes for the txtfile viewer and also what the culprit was.   cool.gif

Using the build modified on 07/12/09 (old)
Also using build modified on 08/09/09 (new)

Problem is not the dynamic skin.  I set it up so a static skin would load, put the new XBE over and it still froze on the XPORT splash screen.

It's not mednafenx_nes.ini or skin_settings.ini since I've deleted them, loaded the XBox with both with the old xbe and the new one first and it still freezes either way.

I would assume that it's not the videos, artwork, roms, screenshots, saves, or any of the other media directoires because they're all set back to the default with the new INI files and every one of those categories is pointing to empty folders.

It's not the MP3 itself, because when I remove the mp3 completely the Box still freezes at the splash screen; it just doesn't play any music obviously.

It's not my XBox itself since I've tried it on a v3 and a v1 XBox and they both have this problem.  (It could be the box, but there would have to be an explanation why I can so easily emulate this bug on a 2nd console and I could do whatever it is I'm doing wrong twice).

Note: Now it's definately not the Xtras since this box only has the old screenshot pack and no videos. I'm also starting to suspect that it is either a file that would be specific to my custom setup or something that madmab may not be using in his test emu setup that I have.

It's not custom_launch_params.cpp or custom_launch_params.h since I deleted those and the emu still froze on boot.

I'm going to try something new.  Okay.... so I deleted everything in the emulator folder now except for the following:

custom_launch_params.cpp (since I don't know what the heck this does)
custom_launch_params.h (since I don't know what the heck this does)
default.xbe
Latest-NES.txt (to test the txtfile viewer if it the emu loads)
undocumented.h (since I don't know what the heck this does)

SUCCESS!  (Now I have to figure out what I can put back on one at a time and we'll find out what the bad one is)

Uh-oh... new problem....  Used txtfile viewer on Latest-NES.txt.  Adjust screen and it asks me if I want to adjust it for all games (???)  I said yes and the screen went black and the Box froze again.  (The music keeps playing though).

Restarted box and went into textfile viewer.  Word wrap works!!!!!!  I also re-adjusted the screen answering "NO" to the question about resizing for all games and it didn't freeze on me now. (Don't know why it froze before??? Can we remove the question about resizing all games to that position so this doesn't happen again to anyone???)

NOTE:  Not sure if you can fix this too madmab, but when I stretch the screen out to match my output and go back to the txt file it cuts about the bottom 1/8 of the text (just black).  I can fix this though by stretching the screen down below my actual screensize on the bottom and with trial and error I can get it to show text on the full screen.

BOTTOM LINE HERE:  TXT FILE VIEWER WORKS NOW!!!!

Now... back to testing what was messing up the emulator....

Added back 6 pallet files.  No problem.
Added back all text files.  no problem.
Added back mednafenx_nes_v12b (Dummy file for emu name and version) and default.tbn.  No problem.

Added back codelist.inf and codelist2.inf.... PROBLEM!!!!!!!!! XBOX FROZEN!!!!!!!!

Removed codelist2.inf... still a problem.
Added codelist2.inf back, removed codelist.inf.... no problem.

Well boys... it looks like we have a winner.  

codelist.inf can bite my ass.

Whaddaya want we should do with him boss?

EDIT:  HERE it is.

Could one of you guys upload whatever the newest codlist file(s) that works with this beta? I don't know what the heck is wrong with mine.

Thanks!

EDIT2:  OOPS!  Another txtfile problem.  When I went to change the font size after loading the setting it up to fit my screen it froze the box on me again.  UPDATE:  Now whenever I try to browse a txt file it freezes the XBox when it tries to load it.  I don't think the code wants you to alter the font size after you've set the word wrap!!!!

Another suggestion too.  Could we make it so the left joystick will NOT move the text left or right anymore?  Now that wordwrap works we don't need that and it is really annoying since it's so easy to do accidentally while reading a FAQ.

EDIT3:  Another bug, lol...  When you start the TXT file viewer it acts funny for the folder view.  It puts me in the F:\ drive with my choice to go up a directory or to go to <media>.  I select the media folder and nothing is in there.  I back out of the media folder and all of my folders on the F:\ drive are there.  I select Media again and it now contains the media folders for all of my emulators.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »

That's an awful lot of red there RessX!!!

Let's see what we can do here..

EDIT3: Another bug, lol... When you start the TXT file viewer it acts funny for the folder view. It puts me in the F:\ drive with my choice to go up a directory or to go to <media>. I select the media folder and nothing is in there. I back out of the media folder and all of my folders on the F:\ drive are there. I select Media again and it now contains the media folders for all of my emulators.

Yeah I kinda knew about this.  Just forgot to address it while I was focusing on the wordwrap...

When I went to change the font size after loading the setting it up to fit my screen it froze the box on me again. UPDATE: Now whenever I try to browse a txt file it freezes the XBox when it tries to load it. I don't think the code wants you to alter the font size after you've set the word wrap!!!!

Well I thought we sorta kinda decided to remove this feature?  Increase font size used to be mapped to the Start button which should now bring up the help screen.  Although I never did unmap the "back" button which attempts to decrease the font size.

Hmmm looks like those controls were also mapped to the right analog stick.  The help file (and screen) hint that ony the simulated font width should be increased (press Y to use simulated font width), yet the code does it regardless.  Odd....  blink.gif

Another suggestion too. Could we make it so the left joystick will NOT move the text left or right anymore? Now that wordwrap works we don't need that and it is really annoying since it's so easy to do accidentally while reading a FAQ.

I suppose so.  I find it annoying because it tends to drift on it's own with my controllers.  laugh.gif

Uh-oh... new problem.... Used txtfile viewer on Latest-NES.txt. Adjust screen and it asks me if I want to adjust it for all games (???) I said yes and the screen went black and the Box froze again. (The music keeps playing though).

Odd.. It must be caught in some kinda weird loop..

(Don't know why it froze before??? Can we remove the question about resizing all games to that position so this doesn't happen again to anyone???)

Let me look into this because it will also affect that option when you change the ingame screen size.

NOTE: Not sure if you can fix this too madmab, but when I stretch the screen out to match my output and go back to the txt file it cuts about the bottom 1/8 of the text (just black). I can fix this though by stretching the screen down below my actual screensize on the bottom and with trial and error I can get it to show text on the full screen.

I'll try and look when I get a chance.  I knew the day would eventually come when I would have to work on the txt file viewing code.  I never paid much mind to it but I knew once we started working on the media browser I would have to go over it.  I just avoided it because I knew it would be alot of work.  laugh.gif  In fact the only "real" change I made to it was the help screen and the latest "word wrap" tweaks.   huh.gif

codelist.inf can bite my ass.
laugh.gif  Is this the latest codelist.inf that I upped?  Koitsu didn't seem to have any issues with it.  Regardless I'll check it out cause it should allow me to further "bomb proof" the gamelist reading code.

On a side note... I did confirm that "Force Reload D:\\*.ini Settings" does do weird things.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »

[quote name='madmab' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:57 AM' post='4520467']
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8