xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Madmab Edition Synopsis "hot Potato" Thread  (Read 4440 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Madmab Edition Synopsis "hot Potato" Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »

Looks like I've got TOOOOONS of work to do on the NES synopsis.  I'm going to try to do what I can, but there are a huge amount of errors and inconsistencies and missing websites and other things that need to be fixed.  

Plus, there are quite a few new additions that need to be inserted and some more obscure roms that I need to hunt the synopsis info down for.  I hope to get it done by next Sunday night, but I'm not holding my breath on that given the huge amount of work that needs to be done to bring this up to code.  

I'll keep trudging along though...

Could you two do me a favor in the mean time and collaborate and come up with the entire beta pack that you will upload (minus the synopsis) so I can sync my stuff up with it and make any tweaks before we bring this public?

Thanks

EDIT:  Looks like for a very large number of these we didn't use ConsoleClassix.com as the first spot to check either, so I'm going to have to re-do a bunch of these from scratch.    cool.gif

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »

Cool man... thanks!

I wasn't dumping on anyone's work or nothing.  I've just been spending 2 months working on the 2600 and SNES synopsis and have a certain way I like to do things.  NES is probably the most important emu to me so I'm giving it even more scrutiny than some of the others.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Later,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »

Wow....

I'm not going to say which games, because I don't want to call anyone out, but I just had to edit one synopsis that had part of one game's synopsis in it and part of another game's synopsis inside of it.

Please, if you're going to help on this, we need to be more careful and follow the standards more closely.  I appreciate the help, but with a majority of the NES synopsis that I haven't done myself it's taking me more time to edit and make sure that the information is accurate than it would have taken me to do it on my own.

Thanks,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »

Almost there guys...

Just have to add the power pad games, the other non-working games and possibly a few more tranlsations and hacks depending on how well the patching goes tomorrow.  I've moved my roms around to the proper folders for testing, so once I complete the stragglers I will run through every game and make sure that it pulls up the synopsis using my CRCs.  I know madmab and Gilles have done a run through on the CRCs for the US/EU games for sure, so there should be no problems loading them up with their alternate CRCs to mine.  

This is going to be fing great.  

You as excited about the release as I am?  

LOL.... it's almost been a year in the making.

~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »

Nearly there....

Just need to check the CRC's on the games.  That should take a few hours when I get back to this.  

I'm taking a break after all that patching.  I hate patching roms.

Later,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd I'm done!

Won't be long now people.  Just gotta get the final okay from Madmab and Gilles before they up the whole pack.

To those who haven't seen the little features and upgrades pile on over the last year, might I suggest you put on a helmet and have a fresh pair of shorts available when the release is upped to the usual spot.

Hope you all enjoy it... and I hope you've already downloaded the Xtras so you don't have to wait another day  cool.gif

Later,
~Rx

cbagy

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »

Well done, look forward to it.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »

Don't nobody go changing the Genesis synopsis on me now.  That's the next one I'm going to clean up and make sure all my roms are in there.

~Rx

EDIT:  This one isn't nearly as messy as the NES emu was for the most part.  There are a lot of games that will only require minimal editing to be up to code.  I'll have to re-arrange a lot and figure out which games marked USA in the synopsis and my spreadsheets are actually Europe games, and there is still a ton of non-licensed stuff to add.  Hopefully I have this done in a month or two... more if I can focus on it and kick a little ass.

Maybe we'll have some sort/filter or a alternate favorites feature and get a Genesis beta out by then smile.gif

No pressure madmab  cool.gif

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »

Okay... I've gotten everything "clean" in the Genesis synopsis now.  

A majority of the headlines have been given the "_______________" bar between the headline info and the body, and if there was a " - " between game names with "2" titles it has been replaced with a ": " instead.  

The roms that were easy to spot have been moved into the proper order of the Rx categories.  So far:

(1_1) US Licensed
(1_2) Lightgun Games
(1_3) Europe Licensed
(1_4) Japan Licensed
(2) Translated
(3_1) Prototypes
(3_2) Update Hacks
(4) 32x

Ummm..... that's about it so far.

I can tell that part of this was made before rules were established.  While much of the headline info is pristine and doesn't need to be altered (unlike the NES), there are many entries with only 5 or so lines in the headline info, before we added a whole lot more stuff.  So, that's got to all be cleaned up...

Also, many entries weren't taken from consoleclassix.com first when they were available there.  I will be going back and replacing many entries with information from that site since I personally think that it has the most in-depth info for each game and a personal touch without any unnecessary vulgarity or bashing like there is on a lot of the other sites that have reviews.  If there is cool info you guys did add though I have been leaving it in so far and using both URLs for credit.  Also, anyone who did these entries originally will still get the credit on the spreadsheets as I check them off.  I find that the most time consuming thing to do (or at least the part I hate the most) is the headline info entry, so since those were done great this time around I'm mighty appreciative that I don't have to do that myself on a majority of the roms for this system.

As amazing as a nearly 2MB file is for this system, I think it will be closer to 3MB after I add all the hacks/trans/protypes and any other missing games as well as making these text changes and cleaning up everything.  I'm sure it will be over 2.5MB

In the future after I wrap up some of these synopsis I've taken the hot-potato from I will make clear instructions for entry of synopsis stuff so there is no confusion in the future.  It should be pretty simple and I'll have examples to show how it should be.  You do it as much as I have and get a system down and you start to fly through them when you get on a roll.  

Big tip.... Wikipedia is now the very last place I go for this stuff.  Maybe somebody in the future could collect some cool trivia stuff from there, but removing all those tags is an impossible process when there is so little of us working on this and probably 12,000 games total to do synopsis stuff for.

Oh... and Barbie_On_Weed has started a project of his own.   He's been sending me entries for Europe/UK versions of synopsis entries and verifying that they work and aren't being blocked by a US equivilant with the UK CRC.  If any of you would like to add information for Europe/UK entries and have the CRCs too I will add this.  That way if you wanted to play Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtles instead of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The best news is that if you only count Console emulators, we've definitely finished more than what still needs to be done.  

What do we have so far.....?

SNES (07-07-09) - Nearly complete.  Brand new entries need to be made now as well as some sort changes.

NES [mednafenx_nes] (07-25-09) - Some new entries to add, but mostly done here.  Already got 1,425 entries on it.

TG-16/TGCD [mednafenx_pce] (06-13-09) - Might actually be completely done here.  I'm sure some editing still needs to be done, but I believe all the games are accounted for.  (Maybe I didn't add the CD games yet though... I can't remember)

A2600 Synopsis (06-30-09) - If this one isn't done, you can kick me in the nuts....

Atari 5200-800 [atarixlbox] (05-02-09) - Would have been done a long time ago if there weren't so many damn Atari 800 games.

Atari 7800 [a7800] (04-21-09) - What?  Like 79 games, right?  I know I have to edit the shit out of it, but how long will that really take?

Atari LYNX [mednafenx_lynx] (06-30-09) - See Atari 7800

Colecovision-ADAM [adamx] (03-15-09) - I'm sure headline info has to be added since this was all the way back in March.  I'm almost afraid to see how primitive this one is since it was the original guinea pig.

Genesis-32x-SegaCD [neogenesis] (04-26-09) - See entire post above this list...

Virtual Boy [virtualboyx] (03-15-09) - See Atari 7800 and then divide that number by 6...

Dreamcast - I'm debating if I should add the Shenmue review for the Dreamcast game, or my shitty little review for the completely incomprehensible VMU version of it.

What we don't have...........

Gameboy/GB Color/GB Advance[XBoyAdvance] (05-02-09) - Oh shit... did somebody say 3,000 plus roms?

SMS/GG/SG-1000..... Damn... we haven't touched that one yet, have we?

Well... including just what's above, we've done more than needs to be done still.

Good news is most of the other emus are very small in comparison to the Nintendo ones.  

And the others... they're computer systems.  And that includes Intellivision.  I might sick around to do a "Top 200" for the Commodore 64 and a TOP 75 for the X68000, but most of those I'm not touching with a 10 foot pole with the insane amount of controller setup it would take.  I'll leave that for the next OCD guy who loves him some Amiga games.

Hey.... if you configure a computer emu where I could play the games right on load like they were NES games I'll make sure the artwork, videos and synopsis get done for it.  Seriously.  

Well... that's about all I have to say about that.

~Rx

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »

Well I'm working on the Amiga and ST and I plan on working on the MSX 1/2 and possibly one other system.  BTW the TI-99 oughta be real easy for you to do as well (only a small handful of games for it).  Anyways my time is usually tied tinkering around with the emulators.

Atari 5200-800 [atarixlbox] (05-02-09) - Would have been done a long time ago if there weren't so many damn Atari 800 games.

We shoulda just stuck to the officially released 5200, and Atari 8-bit/130 XEG cartridges.  Since those are typically the ROMs people are most likely to use.  I was gonna also add some select disk/cas/exe games that are just to good to pass on.  Alot easier to manage.  The rest could have been added later.

Speaking of which I've been doing lots of nice little additions to the atarixlbox emu.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2020, 04:20:00 PM »

Yeah... I figure TI-99 and the Neo Geo Pocket should be a piece of cake.

I might take a look at the Amiga and ST at some point, but the games would have to be configured by other people.  I'll be doing this the next 10 years if I had to configure all those games to the XBox controller on my own.

Yeah.... I went a little crazy with those Atari 800 games.  I had to walk away from that one for a while.  I thought that was one of the smallest emu collections and it turned out it weighs in on the heavy side.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2020, 11:03:00 PM »

Yeah just a little.  I forgot to mention when I was working on the synopsis... At the time I was only planning on going thru games listed at mobygames.  You have to click on the link that says show ALL games.  Since it only shows the most popular titles.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2020, 10:10:00 PM »

I won't be revisiting the 5200/800 for a while now.  I want to edit the Genesis and any info we already have for the Atari systems and get those complete and up to code.  Then I have to go to the Sega Master System/Game Gear and also the Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance.  Those systems are all more important to me than the large collection I tested on the 5200 outside of the standard 5200 games (that was my first gaming rig when I was still shitting in diapers).  To this day I'm still the only person I knew personally that owned one.  Everybody had the Atari 2600 and a few had the 7800 and later everyone had the NES a few years before I actually got one.  I remember towards the end of the Atari 5200's life that my old man having to go and buy a whole new Atari 5200 system twice to get controllers for it because they stopped selling the individual controllers and they were constantly breaking.

Anyways... tons of work to do.  I'm kinda stuck now on what I want to pick up next.  I should probably go through all of my to-do lists this weekend and get caught up on Xtras that people have added.  I figured out that damn NES bug so I'm happy with where today's work got me.

Later,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2020, 12:45:00 PM »

I've gotten through 0-K on the Genesis synopsis now.  There's some very high quality work in this synopsis already.  I will revise my old statement that this will be a 3.0MB document and say that we may just make it up to 2.5MB.  There is not nearly as much adding to do that I thought.

Great work guys,
~Rx

Oh... and I'll get to all the Atari's after this.  Got plenty of editing on them to bring them up to code.  Fortunately 5200 (without the disks), 7800 and LYNX are very small sets.  Plus the 2600 is nearly done already anyways.

Then I'll probably try to tackle the TI-99 and the Neo Geo Pocket.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

It's got your name on it....

Hey madmab... What causes a synopsis to freeze?  Having too much text or having too many hard returns.  I'm starting to suspect it's the hard returns.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7