xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: The Dynamic Skins For All Xport Emus  (Read 9514 times)

gilles9999

• Archived User
The Dynamic Skins For All Xport Emus
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »

Yep it's exactly the problem
Ok problem solved, i'll modify the ini settings, you will have to overwrite the new ini files and the new sprites folder i'll send you; all have the same naming conventions, you''l just have to copy/paste it

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

You mind fixing whatever sprites that needed to be smaller for other emulators Gilles?  We may not need it, but maybe down the road something would be memory intesive and wouldn't work well with your skins on one of the emus.  I'd hate to have to use paint to resize your images  cool.gif

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »

Using paint for skinning is like using a chainsaw for chirurgy

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »

Gilles,
I have heard you say that before. I actually edited your zsnexbox skin for myself with some added images with " MS Paint" laugh.gif (a while back). It was tedious (to say the least). I never wanted to show anyone what I did jester.gif . I have never used photo shop and I wish I had it, to learn.
Why growing up in America have I never heard that word
"chirurgy" before Gilles said it? Of course, I assumed what it meant and also looked it up, learning that it is synonymous with "surgery". Is it a french word? or, am I just that iganant? laugh.gif

keep up the good work guys!

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(gilles9999 @ Jan 16 2009, 03:29 PM) *

Using paint for skinning is like using a chainsaw for chirurgy

/me revs up the chainsaw.....  Vrooom, vrooom....

laugh.gif

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »

Using paint for skinning is like using a chainsaw for a chirurgical act (like doctor ross in "urgence" with a chainsaw you see)

Ok i have finished to free up memory in my dynamic skins, they use more memory than a classic skin, but now it's optimized, now crash in neogenesis now, all is working like a charm; thanks to FranckMorris.

Fixed:
-Splash ccreen sprites are now a lot smaller (memory gain)
-the video preview was smaller than screenshots in some settings, so there was a little "extra bar of pixels in the top of the video when you auto advance screenshots, now it's ok
-the med preview/med video settings are re-done
- the main screen "top left ellipse" had a little pixel glitch now it's ok
-all the 14 settings arefixed to suit that

Dynamic MEDNAFENX NES PM by Gilou9999 17/01/2009

Dynamic NEOGENESIS PM3 by Gilou9999 17/01/2009

You will have to work from these skins franckmorris if you keep the madmab logo pop.gif

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »

Keep up the good work.  I'm surprised I never noticed the mad_mab logo was 640x480.  I just assumed it was a strip with transparancy turned on.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(gilles9999 @ Jan 17 2009, 07:19 AM) *

Using paint for skinning is like using a chainsaw for a chirurgical act (like doctor ross in "urgence" with a chainsaw you see)

Haha!  Dont' feel bad MM?.   Gilles nearly had a stroke when he saw i resized the banner for my sig and thread with paint back in the day.  I didn't notice it was worse quality, but it was like I pissed in his cereal.  

No offence Gilles.  I'm glad you got the eye for that.  I don't.  I'm sure a bunch of other people do too and that's why you're the graphics guy.

You mind shrinking the size of the other emus in case they need more memory with one of our additons someday?

guybird

• Archived User
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »

A little off topic, but I made a http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=674075&view=getnewpost.  Considering how much incredible stuff you guys are doing with the emulators, I definitely feel that a dedicated website (with its own downloads) would be ideal for your situation.  I'm not making any promises, but I'm looking to see if any generous hosts pop up offering a site (as hargle did with the prior sites).  If that doesn't pan out, I will definitely look into paying for something, although I really have no idea where to start.  Just wondering what you guy's thoughts are.

FrankMorris

• Archived User
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(gilles9999 @ Jan 17 2009, 03:19 PM) *
Agree that. But... smile.gif

Played with chainsaw yesterday. This is what I accomplished:
First ANSI-art Xbox logo in the world wide web. (Until somebody shows up, and say: I did that year 2002 already.)
Real massacre. eh?

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frankmorris2009wx8.png

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3482/frankmorris2009wx8.png

If somebody cares how I did it:
Used TundraDraw ANSI editor to draw the profile. Colored it with Photoshop.
Not easy task, cause you can't just convert the logo ANSI-art. I needed draw/color every "block" one by one. It still need some fixing I quess.

QUOTE(gilles9999 @ Jan 17 2009, 03:19 PM) *
You will have to work from these skins franckmorris if you keep the madmab logo pop.gif
Haha! Not stealing your logo man! laugh.gif
I thought it was something like "official logo" made by Madmab (like XPort had his own...) I can make my own logo, if I need it.

Question goes to Madmab:
Any changes to have skin-based help screens?

- Using the old-gen skins where does not have help screen could show the default help screens made by Gilles. (Which is included on your build as far as I know.)
- Using the new-gen skins could show them own help screens. (Or default help screens, if them don't have own.)

Nothing against Gilles enhanced help screen, but you know, circle won't fit on square and the other way round.

Maybe a whole new "section" to settings.ini file?

[HELP_SCREEN1_bkg]
[HELP_SCREEN1_text]
[HELP_SCREEN1_sprite1]
[HELP_SCREEN1_effect1]

Is this even possible?

Question goes to Gilles:
Is there some specific reason to use JPG in your skins? I vote for PNG. It doesn't shuffle your colors, and the files are actually about same sizes. (Ok, you know it already.)

Question goes to RessX:
Been fighting for edit access couple of days. How the hell did you get that on your Xtras thread? XanTium gave it to you? He have disabled personal message system and not answering an email. Any advice?

FrankMorris

FrankMorris

• Archived User
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(guybird @ Jan 18 2009, 01:14 AM) *
A little off topic, but I made a http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=674075&view=getnewpost.  Considering how much incredible stuff you guys are doing with the emulators, I definitely feel that a dedicated website (with its own downloads) would be ideal for your situation.  I'm not making any promises, but I'm looking to see if any generous hosts pop up offering a site (as hargle did with the prior sites).  If that doesn't pan out, I will definitely look into paying for something, although I really have no idea where to start.  Just wondering what you guy's thoughts are.
All that sounds very good in my opinion. (except   your server malfunction and other in your thread sad.gif )
RessurectionX really needs some place to store the goods. We need something better than megaupload to start the new resurrection. Of course I'm also interested all Xmugen stuff. I'd say go for it.

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »

A good suggestion here guybird, regarding all the new stuff:
videos, boxarts, screenshots, dats, rumbles, skins, synopsis, etc... hell yeah!

answer 1: I'm using jpg because .png is double sizing the stuuf; ex my main screen is 180kb in jpg but 300kb in png, so with all the 640*480 pics plus all the sprites, it results various emu freeze...

For a "classic skin" without all the sprites, i would say, yeah, use png, but in my case there is really small difference between my jpg main screen/gameselect screen and the same thing in jpg;plus the gameselect screen has already big screenshots/boxarts/banners in png, so the colour quality is okay.

Be sure to wait tomorrow, the dynamic skins are using a lot of memory; tomorrow i'll release a complete dynamic skins pack with all of them updated and optimized (free up memory); i have cut off all the "dead space" on some sprites to free up memory.
You know that, there is a looot of contraints when you are doing a skin for an xport emu:

-each tv is different, some tv are doing "overscan"
-there is sdtv but also hdtv users, wich means the aspect ratio of the screenshots/boxarts/videos will be different.
-the "red colour" on the sdtv is often badly displayed, that's why i am avoiding it
-the new ability to display video and boxarts at the same time means:lot of problem, each user is different, some of them want to show only boxarts, another one it's boxart/video at the same time, another one it's only screenshot, etc...
-You must pay attention of the size of each background and each sprite, or else the skin will use too much memory, and your xbox will randomly freeze (that's why i have optimized all of them today, franckmorris said me how much useless memory was used by some sprites; now it's ok)
-In xports emus it's 640*480 backgrounds! You'll never see the 720p backgrounds like in XBMC

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »

Great to hear all of this man.  How much space would you say you were able to free up?  

Probably didn't matter much for the emulators that weren't having problems like Genesis was, but it will be great for Dosbox and PSX I'm thinkin.  Plus, you never know (at least I don't) how much memory all these other Xtras takes up like the synopsis and stuff.  So whenever we can cut out memory hogs and not lose anything by doing it it's great.

Looking forward to seeing them.  I got 3 days off to mess around with them starting tomorrow.

Later,
~Rx

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(FrankMorris @ Jan 17 2009, 06:25 PM) *

Haha! Not stealing your logo man! laugh.gif
I thought it was something like "official logo" made by Madmab (like XPort had his own...) I can make my own logo, if I need it.
The only input I had on the "logo" was my suggestion to use the dragon from the Atari 2600 "Adventure" game.

QUOTE(FrankMorris @ Jan 17 2009, 06:25 PM) *

Question goes to Madmab: Any changes to have skin-based help screens?

Nothing against Gilles enhanced help screen, but you know, circle won't fit on square and the other way round.
Well a help screen isn't exactly interactive.  I was just gonna have the help screens in a directory named "Help".  I figure if a skin creator wants to make their own versions they could tell the user to overwrite the files in the "D:\help" directory with their own.

FrankMorris

• Archived User
« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2009, 04:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Jan 18 2009, 03:45 AM) *
Well a help screen isn't exactly interactive.  I was just gonna have the help screens in a directory named "Help".  I figure if a skin creator wants to make their own versions they could tell the user to overwrite the files in the "D:\help" directory with their own.

Ok. That clear things. I thought it was combined to xbe, like keyboard.png
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30