xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question For Xport About Neogenesis (soldiers Of Fortune)  (Read 458 times)

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Question For Xport About Neogenesis (soldiers Of Fortune)
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »

Hey xport, i was going through my list of games on neogenesis and came across soldier of fortune which has graphic glitches. i did some searching and found some info that might help:

VDP RAM write latency (fix Chaos Engine/Soldier of Fortune gfx glitches) this was done on recent sega emu.

My question is do you know which header file in neogenesis i should look for to try to implement this small fix? I had taken a long break from trying to set up my box for doing this stuff.  This is one of my fav games on here so i would like to try to give it a go or so to speak.

any help would be greatly appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

XT-

This post has been edited by XTecuterX73: May 23 2008, 04:24 AM

XPort

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:31:00 AM »

Genesis Plus GX is not based off of GENS.  You'll need to grab the tags from the SVN repository of Genesis Plus GX from immediately before and immediately after the bugfix in question - then diff them to see what was changed in the code to fix it - then try to implement such changes into NeoGenesis.  It's not going to be a one-to-one solution, but there's a decent chance of being able to get something to work (unless the relevant code in NeoGenesis is one of the assembly routines - then you'll have more of an uphill battle.)

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(XTecuterX73 @ May 22 2008, 11:22 PM) *

Hey xport, i was going through my list of games on neogenesis and came across soldier of fortune which has graphic glitches. i did some searching and found some info that might help:

VDP RAM write latency (fix Chaos Engine/Soldier of Fortune gfx glitches) this was done on recent sega emu.

My question is do you know which header file in neogenesis i should look for to try to implement this small fix? I had taken a long break from trying to set up my box for doing this stuff.  This is one of my fav games on here so i would like to try to give it a go or so to speak.

any help would be greatly appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

XT-

ok thanks for the info xport  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) , i am gonna take a look at it and see what i can do. I hope that's it's something simple but i really want to do this. This is a really great game and the graphics glitches (it's only in the middle of the screen and it's not tearing) really bug my eyes out when im trying to play.

Hopefully i can get something together.

thanks again and ill post an update if i can figure something out.

XT-

This post has been edited by XTecuterX73: Today, 05:16 AM

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:51:00 PM »

***double post accident***

This post has been edited by XTecuterX73: Today, 05:55 AM

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »

It is doing that because the "hack" is forcing the cpu cycles to be taken regardless.  Whereas the original "fix" would count fifo activity and adjuce the cycle count accordingly.  But since all the FIFO "counting" is done in the VDP routine there is not much that can be done about that.  It's in assembly.