xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Atari7800x V1  (Read 1332 times)

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE(Toon_Army @ Aug 29 2006, 03:04 AM) View Post

as I say, what problems?

I don't have a problem with saving into a specific saves dir.
this is how the above works for me.

using Evox I select BOXplorer, it shows C,D,E,F,X,Y and Z partitions. my emu's live in
F:\Device\Harddisk0\Partition6, when I select that partition it shows (Emulators) and (HDDLoader) dir's.
I then select (Emulators) and it shows all the emu's I have on Xbox. I then copy any new or updated emu's over to this dir.

now take MekaX as an example, inside that dir I have (EMUSKINS) & (SMSROMS) dir's, plus the runable Default and other files. now inside (SMSROMS) I have (GG) & (SMS) dir's where I put the Gamegear & Master System roms. I do like wise for other emu's that run more than one system, i.e. GB, GBC & GBA in the gameboy emu.

again, using Evox, I select Launch menu, select Emulators and then emu of choice.
selecting MekaX brings up the Xport front end and when I select game it shows me the (GG) & (SMS) dir's, I then go to say (GG), pick a game and away I go. should I want to play an SMS game I just go into the (SMS) dir. no need to have two MekaX's in two seperate dir's to run Gamegear or SMS roms

should I pick Xboyadvance, the same applies, only this time I select a game from the (GB), (GBC) or (GBA) dir's.

to finish, I'd like to thank Xport for his work in making his emu's work as easily as possible (user very friendly i think the term is) for those.... like me, who would be stuck if we had to depend on editing ini's and the like.

again, thank you Xport.

Glad that your setup works for you, however it has been brought up several times that emulators that emulate multiple systems by nature of the emulator (as opposed to by nature of the system), need to have an option for people who:

1. Do not have an F partition and must use E for everything
2. Have an F drive but want all the emus on E and the roms on F for easier updating/installing of updated emus
3. Want a seperate emulator for each system
4. Want to keep thier romsets seperated (as opposed to SMS and GG in subfolders of the SMSROMS folder)

So yes, you do need to have 2 copies of Meka to run each emulator SEPERATELY.  Gameboy can get away with what you do as each gameboy was just an upgrade over the last, however Master System and GameGear can not get away with this.

As for editing ini, not one thing i mentioned here needs to be done manually....the ini files are created at the first run of an XPort emu.  What i'm proposing is the ability to make E:\SAVES an option, user configurable via the standard options menu.  I have *NO* desire to make the system less user friendly...if anything, it should add a couple of new options for people and ADD functionality.....be easier to use for those who need to keep things seperated for whatever reason.

Lastly, i agree with the above poster.  My intent was only to bring attention to the bug, not to have the bug discussion take over the whole thread.  The link he pointed to is the correct place for further discussion of the problem and the place to ask Xport to fix it in general.  I've already mentioned the bug here, so no need to discuss it in this thread any longer.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »

perhaps you missed the post where i said that continued discussion of the bug and fix (for or against) should go in the thread dedicated to it?

and you are mistaken, it would offer more functionality....though i was pm'd with a possible solution by someone who feels the same as i about this issue.  I will attempt to try it this weekend, and if it works, will re-release a "fixed" set of xport emulators elsewhere.

Kthulu

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(XPort @ Aug 28 2006, 07:40 AM) View Post

This is MESS with the one driver compiled into it because a port of MESS in its entirety would use up too much memory (similar to MAME) and it just makes more sense to have separate ports for each emulated system.  
I don't have plans at the moment to make a separate port for each and every MESS emulated system, but I will be doing select others.

QUOTE(hargle @ Aug 28 2006, 09:29 AM) View Post

I do believe this is the way it should be: 1 system per emulator.

i agree.  it does seem more practical to do things this way.
QUOTE(Likklebaer @ Aug 28 2006, 04:41 PM) View Post

Okay you seriously need to stop this now.
You've made a whole thread containing your request therefore it's safe to assume that XPort is more than aware of it. Posting the exact same thing in emulator release threads isn't going to get you anywhere and is just going to annoy people.
Personally I think it's unlikely you'll see what you want implemented since (despite your insistance on using the word 'we') I've never known anyone else who's ever been bothered by having an E:\SAVES folder.
Now returning to the real purpose of this thread:
Thankies for the A7800 emu XPort! happy.gif

i've never experienced any real problems with the E:\Saves folder, but it does annoy me, but i'm pretty sure i have obsessive-compulsive disorder.  so...

thanks for all your great work Xport!

typingsux

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(hargle @ Aug 30 2006, 11:15 AM) View Post
here's my attempt at a dashboard icon.  This one at least matches the 5200 and 2600 theme that I currently have on my machine.

IPB Image

It is a little big (250x250) but xbmc appears to handle it nicely.

Hey that's nice, and nicer than the ones I have for my 2600 and 5200.

Can you post those please?

hargle

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(typingsux @ Aug 30 2006, 04:40 PM) View Post

Hey that's nice, and nicer than the ones I have for my 2600 and 5200.

Can you post those please?

Grab 'em from the xbox emulation repository

The 2600 and 5200 icons that are similar to the above are in the emulator dashboard icon pack.

Been thinking that I should go in and upload all the individual icons instead of doing packs, that way you can see what you're getting, and you can just grab the ones you're interested in.  That's a fair amount of tedious work though...

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(hargle @ Aug 30 2006, 01:13 PM) View Post

Grab 'em from the xbox emulation repository

The 2600 and 5200 icons that are similar to the above are in the emulator dashboard icon pack.

Been thinking that I should go in and upload all the individual icons instead of doing packs, that way you can see what you're getting, and you can just grab the ones you're interested in.  That's a fair amount of tedious work though...

Thank you so much for that link; i've been trying to find it for quite some time now.

micbic

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2006, 01:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(A Murder of Crows)
more rambling

Its not that your insincere, its just that you sound so whiny in that you wont change your over complicated settings to what everyone else uses and then act as if everyone is crying out for fixes to the emulators. You coulda just quickly asked if there was a way he could edit whatever you want. I guarantee it will give you the exact same response than if you went ahead with that thesis of a post there.

JLsoft

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2006, 03:55:00 PM »

The color differences look a lot like what you'd see between NTSC and PAL palettes...

Not sure what's up with that though :/

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2006, 04:06:00 PM »

I guess your gonna beat me in the screenshot race.  laugh.gif

I got started on em but then work kinda got in the way.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(micbic @ Sep 1 2006, 12:46 AM) View Post

Its not that your insincere, its just that you sound so whiny in that you wont change your over complicated settings to what everyone else uses and then act as if everyone is crying out for fixes to the emulators. You coulda just quickly asked if there was a way he could edit whatever you want. I guarantee it will give you the exact same response than if you went ahead with that thesis of a post there.

you keep ignoring the fact that the other thread exists.....continue this there, if you want.  for now, the response

My setup is actually over simplified.  The Emulators are all on E, and I keep all the roms on the F partition, in a main folder called ROMS, subFolders by company then by system.  it allows me to update the emulators by just wiping out the entire directory and starting fresh each time, automating things.  It also allows easy updates to the rom sets as needed/available.

The problems with the E\Saves are threefold:

1. It's Forced on us for a feature (use off a disc) that not everyone uses.
2. It takes away the ability to use the same emulator for seperate systems without editing the romsets, roms locations, or screenshot packs
3. There is no way to use the emulators without having that folder created.

It isn't a request anymore.  it can be viewed as a bug, as it essentially BREAKS things that used to work fine.  Those of us who are having the issues are trying to find ways around it, however there wouldn't be a need for us to create these hacked up "fixes" if Xport would do it himself.  THe fixes we come up with do not allow the ability to use 1 emulator for both Disc and Hard Drive application, so we still need 2 versions of EVERY EMULATOR HE MAKES to be able to have a 100% fully functioning emulator.

Amygrl (?) has already released a hack to testers.....but this could all be avoided...including my continued lobbying for a bug fix....if Xport simply aknowledged the issue and commited to fixing it, or released the source so someone could do a proper fix.

Opoth

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2006, 08:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Sep 2 2006, 01:41 AM) View Post

Now please, stop...  It's beyond childlike whining at this point.

Seconded, him and one other person that this "feature" bothers have their workarounds now, just wait until the source is released and then modify the code to make it work the way you want it to.  

This is getting to be as bad as the endless pestering that nes6502 has received over lack of SMB support and netplay in ZsnexBox.  This type of whining accomplishes nothing other than to annoy the author and put the project in potential jeopardy.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2006, 10:13:00 PM »

Cute.

first, no, the hack doesn't fix both problems with a single XBE, so the quest continues.

second, these threads are about BUG FIXING and several people see this as A BUG as the current setup of the emulator interface (as mentioned last time around) BREAKS THINGS THAT WERE NEVER BROKEN BEFORE.

Third, and FINALLY, i'm not egging you all on for this.  I've said many times that any further discussion should go to the other thread.  If you want it to stop here, quit bringing it up.  I will continue to respond as long as it's brought up, regardless of where, to defend myself and the overall position of those who feel this is a bug.  The pettiness of your colective responses (i'm sure you know who you are) takes away from the point that was being made:  to many (not all), this is a BUG that requires a FIX.  if he won't fix it now, it doesn't stop being a bug.  Name calling, post-crapping, and other such silliness doesn't solve the bug.  Neither does ignoring it.  I feel that emulators should be able to use established rom sets as they are presented, without the need for editing of any part of the set.  Having to edit an established, uniformed set, to fit an emulator, doesn't work well in my opinion.

Bringing the thread down to the level you all are, complaining about my reporting of a bug, takes away from the intent not just of my post, but of the entire thread.  If there is room for an improvement/fix, it should be known.

If you are here for an argument, go to the other thread and i'll debate you on the relavence of the needed fixes.  If you want to keep saying that all i'm doing is "whining" without bringing up facts directly related to the emulator or it's interface, your posts are really not warranted in the thread.

QUOTE(madmab @ Sep 1 2006, 05:41 PM) View Post
Common guys....

Please don't feed the troll...  rolleyes.gif   laugh.gif

You are aware that Xport stated that he will release the sources once he has updated ALL of his emu's and then "Re-released" them with the latest and up-to-date menu system.

Also if you dig thru the forums here you will see his explanation as to why some stuff he responds to, and other stuff he does not respond too.  That is his official response regarding these kinds of issues.  I get frustrated too when he doesn't respond but I don't go around de-railing other threads because of it.  In cases where I think he may have missed it I post it in the APPROPRIATE thread.  How hard is that to do?

I CAN guarantee though that pestering people is not the best way to get things done, in fact it can even turn them off to the whole idea all together as the history of all emu's that exist has shown.  And stop using responding to other peoples comments as an excuse, it doesn't take a genius to see that your only responding to further you agenda.  X-port isn't stupid I'm sure he is fully aware of what you have said.

You have the amygrl hacks, you have what you need to do what you want to do.  Why do you persist on beating a dead horse in a topic that does not deal with the issue?  This is a thread to report ATARI 7800x ISSUES.  If you insist on this banter, why don't you go post your rant in every other EMU thread in this board?

Now please, stop...  It's beyond childlike whining at this point.

XPort

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(hargle @ Sep 1 2006, 03:07 PM) View Post

It appears there may be some color issues with 7800x.
As I was bundling up some screenshots, I noticed the following:

here's a screenshot as available on mobygames.  Not sure which emulator it was taken with though.
IPB Image

and here's a screenshot taken with 7800x

IPB Image
Huh.
Looking at the atari age page, it looks like they've got the same issue, so it's certainly nothing to do with the port from MESS here.

http://www.atariage....wareLabelID=733
Can this be fixed though?  Certainly a blue sky makes more sense than a green one...

Does anyone know how this Rampage screenshot with the blue sky was created?  I've checked the diffs for the palette code in MESS/A7800 since day 1 and the NTSC palette has not changed.  If anyone knows of a version of MESS where it makes a blue sky, or some other emulator, please let me know.  This appears to be a core issue and there's not a whole lot I can do about it.  (If you grab the latest version of MESS and run Rampage, you'll see the same green sky as in the XBox version.)

madmab

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »

X-port if you happen to manage to see this thru all the other useless crap in this thread.  I noticed in the 7800 emu that when you go to save a state the current sound from the game plays for a split second, and then it just kinda sticks there until the user goes back into the game.

It happened to me when saving a state in the burgertime demo ROM.

And I also mentioned earlier that the resize screen option, when pressing start it said "TI-99" instead of Atari 7800.  I also noticed on the Supervision, Chip 8, and Sega VMU that it just says "default screen" or something like that.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
Atari7800x V1
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2006, 12:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Sep 1 2006, 11:34 PM) View Post

Once again you are using other peoples complaints as a lame excuse to further your agenda.  There is no need for you to respond with the same useless 5 paragraph responses.  You've already overrun this entire thread with your useless dribble.  It's gone beyond the point of debating, nobody is even debating you they are telling you to just shut your yap already ok.   jester.gif

If this issue was so important than why don't I see you complaining about it in the Supervision thread?  Enough already.  And to be honest if X-port doesn't fix it, well then good.  I'd be glad to see it not fixed just for the entertainment value of your reaction.   pop.gif

Lame, lame, lame....    sleeping.gif

It will get to the supervision thread should anyone i know who has the issues ends up using Supervision.  The problems exist for us only in the emulators we use, and only when it's verified that the problem exists.  It would be stupid to mention a bug that doesn't exist.

My reaction remains the same...it's a bug, it needs quashed.  Eventually, it will be, either by Xport, or by the hacks.  In the meantime, knowing the good work Xport puts into these things, i'd much rather continue the petition and bug reporting than have someone not so familiar with the code process to come up with a proper solution later.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4