xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc - Movies/tv Shows Suddenly Stop Playing  (Read 432 times)

MrEther

• Archived User
Xbmc - Movies/tv Shows Suddenly Stop Playing
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:03:00 AM »

I don't know if this has been answered or not, but when I play movies on my XBMC, it sporadically stops playing and returns to the menu. It usually happens three or four times a movie.

I have a feeling it's something to do with my network, but don't know exactly. The Xbox is connected to the network via a wireless adapter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

JustMeD

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

MrEther

Your not alone on that one.  For the last couple of weeks XBMC has been totally unusable for me as it keeps bombing out whilst playing anything.  The difference for me thou is that I have a wired network.  What network setup etc do you run?  Mac or PC.  I'm on Leopard and I think my issue lies there as I have have totally rewired my network and replaced my router.  Its a totally confusing scenario as the log itself doesn't give anything benefical.  If i can resolve my issue I'll fill you in.

D

solar_eclipse2

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »

Hey guys, this is happening to me too. I have 3 xbox systems on my network, two wired and one wireless. I can watch video all day long on the two that are wired but the problem happens on the one that is wireless. At first I thought it was the wireless network taking a piss but it's not the case. Like MrEther said, I can go right back to the video and for about 8 minutes or so I'm good then wash, rinse, repeat. Then my next guess was the caching, so I kicked the caching all the way up but I get the same results. I'm not really sure what's going so if anyone else out here could toss an idea my way, I'm open for suggestions

JustMeD

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

Guys not sure if this will help but I have resolved my problem by making a change to my sources.xml.  As opposed to my workgroup name to access my machine I changed it to my IP Address.

From memory it should look like the following:

Originally:        smb://DAMIANS0:(USERNAME);(PASSWORD)/SHARES/

To:                  smb://10.0.0.4:(USERNAME);(PASSWORD)/SHARES/

Please note thou that you will have to clean and rebuild your Library otherwise you may end up with duplicates.

It is worth trying in a file list view to try and open a Movie etc before updating the Library stuff.

Hope this helps.

D

MrEther

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 03:30:00 AM »

Thanks justmed. I tried it and will let you know what happens. Just to get it straight though: if the there is no user name and password, I just don't enter them, correct? So mine looks like this: smb://192.168.1.102/My Videos?

Also, it's the IP for the computer that the files are on right?

solar_eclipse2

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »

You shouldn't need to use the IP address, that would imply (to me anyway) that  DNS isn't working in some manner on your network or your xbox. Has anyone had this problem? Any other suggestions?

smokyjoe

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(solar_eclipse2 @ Apr 29 2008, 02:31 PM) View Post

You shouldn't need to use the IP address, ... Has anyone had this problem?

A few months ago, myself, and quite a few other users, were having similar problems. The general consensus was that setting all entries in sources.xml to ip addresses resolved the issue. It definitely did for me. I don't know if the problem was ever investigated thoroughly, as everybody just moved to static ip's and all was good,

JustMeD

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »

Just to add to this topic if you change your shares to IP addresses it actually speeds up the loading time of mplayer related stuff.  Thanks Jezz for the hint on that one.

D

solar_eclipse2

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 10:05:00 AM »

Since I only have one xbox on the wireless network I figured I'd give it a shot. I changed all the entries in the sources.xml to the IP of my media server just to see what happens. I got up today, tried watching a video and it still stopped and went back to the menu after a while.

But for the record, the video did seem to load faster now that I am using the IP instead of the server name.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »

For SMB, DNS isn't used. WINS is instead.

Got a vague memory some other guy had a problem using gigabit gear. He had to tell the devices in concern not to autodetect the line speed, but to force them down to the 100mbps the X-Box runs at.

Kinux

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

I had this problem when playing movies or trying to copy them from one of my PCs to Xbox.
After long time research I found that it was the settings of the PC NIC !

This PC giving problem have a Realtek NIC and I noticed changing two settings in it's Advance settings fixed the problem. These parameters have to be set like this :

Jumbo Frame = Disable
Offload TCP_LargeSend = Disable

I noticed that each time I update the driver, I have to set back these two.
Hope this helps.