xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: .mp4 No More?  (Read 404 times)

pepelutivruski4

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« on: April 04, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »

i'll start off by saying hello.
i'm not certain if this is a tight community where yuo all know each other well (as well as posters know each other)
this is my first post, and i'll say that i have never had problems w/ my xbox until 2 days ago...
i've been able to resolve those problems so far...

now, my XBMC enquiry is, i used to watch football matches on my xbox, and i've been watching them for almost a year, if not more... they are in .mp4 format. as of yesterday, XMBC and the xbox as a whole will lock up whenever i try to play any file with the extension of .mp4.

they used to play just fine, rather they were my preferred format, and as of yesterday i noticed the lock up. i tried fiddling arund w/ settings, and since i had never been in the settings area, i'm afraid i may have muxed things up further.

any ideas?

PS, i'm generally new to ANY problem regarding an xbox, as i acquired the xbox w/ all these extra goodies...
i appreciate patience to an amateur, as it seems this is a very xbox savvy community. thx.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 12:36:00 AM »

If you hold X+Y while XBMC loads, it'll go into debug mode. Do that then play one of your MP4s. Reboot after the crash and read through the "xbmc.old.log" file in your XBMC folder, check near the end of that and see if it has anything interesting to say.

Does it crash with ALL MP4 files, or just ones you've picked up recently?

Are the files being played from the console's HDD, or from elsewhere?

When did you last update XBMC?

pepelutivruski4

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Apr 4 2008, 11:36 PM) *

If you hold X+Y while XBMC loads, it'll go into debug mode. Do that then play one of your MP4s. Reboot after the crash and read through the "xbmc.old.log" file in your XBMC folder, check near the end of that and see if it has anything interesting to say.

Does it crash with ALL MP4 files, or just ones you've picked up recently?

Are the files being played from the console's HDD, or from elsewhere?

When did you last update XBMC?

it crashes all .mp4, even some i used to watch and have been on there for months...

they are files played from the xbox HD on partition F, they used to play before...

i haven't updated my XBMC, i don't know how to, and i acquired the xbox w/ all these programs already installed into it, all i've done to it is manage media files, roms, and xbox games as well as play them... occasionally i change the skin on the main evolution x menu... but that's irrelevant i'm sure.
i've tried looking around to see if i could find the version of XBMC i'm using but i've had no luck.

this is what the very end of the log file said:
"cmplayer::openfile() F:\media\football\SpainvsItaly1.mp4 failed"

i just noticed something however, i attempt to play the file once, and the program seems to work on something... then it just goes as far as just making the the system appear as if it was just a stutter, and when i go to hit the file again, that's when it locks up for good.

if it helps, my XBMC folder under 'apps' is called "XBMC-2004-12-12"
thank you for your time once again.

This post has been edited by pepelutivruski4: Apr 5 2008, 07:26 PM

evilkorn

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 11:16:00 PM »

I would really think about updating your build.  It's really easy, especially sense you are not using it as your main dashboard.  Just download it from the TECH website, look at the sticky for a direct link, FTP the XBMC folder to your apps folder, add a link to the new xbe in evoX (via the xml file) and enjoy the huge step forward XBMC has take in the past 3 years.

You can't really fuck up because you can just load the old xbmc link you still have from the previous build.

pepelutivruski4

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »

i really, really appreciate your time and assitance but this is how i perceive the message above;

QUOTE(evilkorn @ Apr 5 2008, 11:16 PM) *

I would really think about updating your build.  It's really easy so if you don't know how to do it, you don't even deserve to have a cool xbox, especially since you are not using it as your ↑!>♪#%@*.  Just download it from the TECH website, which if you are not familiar with, you are a not from planet earth, look at the sticky **raises hands and searches for a gum spot on the floor**  for a direct link,(NOW THIS IS THE MOST IMPORATANT PART!) &%$*#(#& @%@#!*($#($ #@&$#@($ #@)# #$*$#()   $%($ #&@#94 )($#&@% $($%#((@%#$!@ and enjoy the huge step forward XBMC has take in the past 3 years.

You can't really fuck up because you can just &$($#^!@$%!@&#(*($#*#$() )$#(#@^#@%@!&$#*# &$#&#$^#$&*#&@#^@%$.

i'm sorry, i'm fairly confident that i will take a leap back if i tried this.
as i've mentioned before, i am more afraid of this thing busting on me everytime i touch something new.

one time my NES emulator crashed the xbox for a couple days, and i have not accessed it since. it works now, since the original owner of this xbox comes over and plays NES games, but i stay away from it.

is there a tutorial somewhere that will take my hand through this process you speak of, because it sounds promising to just update from what i have now...
thanks again evilkorn but i'm a complete noob penis.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »

Take a look around your X-Box HDD, get a feel for where all the programs are stored.

You'll likely find a folder on E: called "apps". In there should be various programs that appear on your EvoX applications menu.

A "sticky" is a forum thread that is locked to stay at the top of the forum display. Here is the current T3CH sticky, you can find a link to T3CH's actual site from there (for some unknown reason moderators dislike members actually posting the direct link themselves). Get the latest XBMC build there (NOT 2.0.1 "final", that's over a year old now).

Once you've downloaded the new archive, extract it somewhere on your drive. You'll find a folder named "XBMC", rename that to something appropriate (eg. "XBMC-2008-04-06") and transfer this to your console's apps directory. If you're not sure how to do this, just ask.

With any luck once that's done the new version will just turn up in your EvoX menu system. From there you can load it up and aim it at those MP4 files.

Because you aren't changing or deleting any of your old files, this process shouldn't brick your system. Though you'll probably want to wipe off your old copy of XBMC once you've verified the new one works to your liking (a lot has changed over the years).

RS727

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »

I've been having issues with .mp4 files of late as well.

The problem i'm having is that the file plays fine for the first 10 or so minutes then the video freezes but the audio continues. I can still pause/stop/skip for a bit, but if i leave it too long then it crashes and has to be turned off/restarted.

I'm using the latest T3CH release rev12544.

The problem has been occurring with the last 3 or 4 revisions, but I've only started playing a few mp4 files the last few months.

I will checkout the debug as mentioned.

Details of the mp4 are as follows (from VLC media player), if that helps anyone:
Video codec: avc1
Resolution: 720x400
Frame rate: 25fps

Audio codec: mp4a / 48000Hz / 16bit / 768kb/s

RS727

• Archived User
.mp4 No More?
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

Done the debug. Here's the log file if anyone is interested.

I'm going to have a look at it over the next few days and see if i can figure out what it's all about.