xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problem With Sharing  (Read 308 times)

brando56894

• Archived User
Problem With Sharing
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »

im trying to get xbmc to access shares on my computer but it gets kind of tricky.... my universities network requires you to register your mac address in order to access the network so i cloned my pc's mac to a linksys befsr41 (wired router) and hooked the xbox up to the router. when i turned the xbox on i saw that it had a private ip address, which i expected, then tried to access the shares on my computer but it said error-(a bunch of #s i couldnt read): shares not available. the xbox and my pc are in the same workgroup, but i think either the fact that the router is in a private network and my pc is in a public one or the firewall is blocking access is problem.

would making the xbox a DMZ or allowing the sharing ports in the router fix this? im new to the befsr41 so i dont know how it works really im used to the wrt54g but i killed it a little while ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) also i cant access the router remotely (even though i enabled it), but this isnt a major problem but it would be useful to have the ability to.

brando56894

• Archived User
Problem With Sharing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »

one more problem: in version pre-2.1 (compiled 12/24/07) it wont let me access shares even though im using the right password. i have the xbox and the pc connected to the router just to see if sharing will work, i can see the workgroup and my computer but once i select my computer it pops up a box with lock preferences i entered my username and password and it just pops up the box again, after a few attempts i created a user called xbox  with the same password and try that, it did the same thing. anyone have a solution for this??