xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mythtv Client Protocol Merged Into Xbmc  (Read 275 times)

Barney_1

• Archived User
Mythtv Client Protocol Merged Into Xbmc
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »

Hi Folks,

I didn't see a post regarding this here at xbox-scene but I'm pretty excited about it.  It seems the XBMC developers have merged MythTV client support into the latest svn builds of XBMC starting with rev11787.

For a year or two I have been using the python script XBMCMythTV for frontend support on the xbox.  It worked very well but meant a very noticable division between mythtv recordings and all of the other recordings on my server.  The newly implemented functionality puts and end to that and does it natively, rather than with the use of an smb share on the mythtv backend, as was the case with the aforementioned python script.

I've checked things out in the latest build and am happy to see that all of my recordings were listed, and I was able to watch both live, and recorded TV.  This is very early on in the development so there are a lot of key features not yet available: No commercial skip andrecordings are not "stacked" by program but rather just a long list of all recordings available on the backend.  Still, this is a very promising glimpse at future funcionality.

If you want to try out this frontend functionality here's how:  

1. Install the latest revision of XBMC
2. Go to "My Videos" and add a new source.
3. Enter your mysql information for the mythconverg database in the correct format.
      -prefix your information with "myth://"
      -next list your mythconverg database username and password "[mythtv-user]:[mythtv-passwd]"
      -next add the ip address to your mysql server "@mysql-server-ipaddr"
   generic example of this:
CODE
myth://mythtv:[email protected]

Troubleshooting:
1. You must have a mythtv backend running on your network to use this functionality.  If you don't know what this is then you don't have one.  Learn about it: http://www.mythtv.org/

2. The ip address of your xbox must have permission to access the mysql database.   For more info, see: Modifying access to the MySQL database for multiple systems

Barney_1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »

Barney_1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

Digg is back up now (down for a couple of days).  If you didn't get a chance to digg this before, do so now.  The link is in the post just before this.