xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Screwed Up My Xbox, Xbmc Won't Load, Can't Ftp  (Read 481 times)

smokersx

• Archived User
I Screwed Up My Xbox, Xbmc Won't Load, Can't Ftp
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »

ok i'm gonna get all the background information out of the way..

i bought this modded xbox for $70 from a friend about 3 days ago.. before selling it to me, he had it for maybe 2 years, maybe longer, without updating it or anything since he didn't know how.. (i tried to check the system info, and it appears that it was modded in 2005.. i cant access the file to confirm anything, however)

i decided to update it, and the first thing i did was rename default.xbe to something like dashboard.xbe.. and for a reason that i have forgotten, i decided to restart the xbox, forgetting that i had renamed default.xbe.. what that led to was xbmc would not boot up at all, the xbox would start up, and it would get to the screen where it has the big X, says "xbox" and "microsoft" under it..

and it keeps restarting and showing the same Xbox screen, over and over.. the light stays Green, too.. I can play my ESPN NFL 2k5 on it, that works just fine, but i cannot get to xbmc and i can't access it through FTP either.. (i tried the Y+white button and holding both thumbsticks down tricks, to no avail)

so basically, any help would be much appreciated..

also, i dont know if its soft-modded or not, maybe my post has already told you that

another thing, i only have nfl 2k5.. thats the reason i borrowed the xbox in the first place since i didnt have my 360 at the time...

This post has been edited by smokersx: Mar 22 2008, 06:58 AM

competes2win

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(smokersx @ Mar 22 2008, 01:38 AM) *

ok i'm gonna get all the background information out of the way..

i bought this modded xbox for $70 from a friend about 3 days ago.. before selling it to me, he had it for maybe 2 years, maybe longer, without updating it or anything since he didn't know how.. (i tried to check the system info, and it appears that it was modded in 2005.. i cant access the file to confirm anything, however)

i decided to update it, and the first thing i did was rename default.xbe to something like dashboard.xbe.. and for a reason that i have forgotten, i decided to restart the xbox, forgetting that i had renamed default.xbe.. what that led to was xbmc would not boot up at all, the xbox would start up, and it would get to the screen where it has the big X, says "xbox" and "microsoft" under it..

and it keeps restarting and showing the same Xbox screen, over and over.. the light stays Green, too.. I can play my ESPN NFL 2k5 on it, that works just fine, but i cannot get to xbmc and i can't access it through FTP either.. (i tried the Y+white button and holding both thumbsticks down tricks, to no avail)

so basically, any help would be much appreciated..

also, i dont know if its soft-modded or not, maybe my post has already told you that

another thing, i only have nfl 2k5.. thats the reason i borrowed the xbox in the first place since i didnt have my 360 at the time...

you should find yourself a copy or burn yourself a copy of an installer disk... slayers, auto installer delux, or even frosty's rescue disk most of which can be found on xbins... then you just put that into your disk drive and allow it to boot which will grant you ftp access, and then you can just go about fixing things from there.

smokersx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(competes2win @ Mar 21 2008, 11:03 PM) *

you should find yourself a copy or burn yourself a copy of an installer disk... slayers, auto installer delux, or even frosty's rescue disk most of which can be found on xbins... then you just put that into your disk drive and allow it to boot which will grant you ftp access, and then you can just go about fixing things from there.

i have no idea what xbins is, but i got slayers evox auto installer 2.7 off of mininova, but i was scared to use that because of the nasty warning saying it could screw up a soft-modded xbox.. whats your take on that?

thanks for the reply btw  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

smokersx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »

well impatience is getting the best of me, im burning slayers evox auto installer 2.7 onto a CD-R.. as soon as it finishes, i will proceed to probably destroy my xbox  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »

Don't worry, just booting Slayers isn't a self destruct in itself. You should be able to use that disc to revert your changes.

FourTwentySmiles

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »

do what the man said......if you dont know what you are doing and he does.......I'd take the advice.

none of us are here just for your problems, people who can help do just that.....when they can....if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have to wait for peoples help. Feel me?

Try not having such a tude.

This post has been edited by FourTwentySmiles: Mar 22 2008, 09:52 AM

smokersx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 03:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(FourTwentySmiles @ Mar 22 2008, 01:49 AM) *

do what the man said......if you dont know what you are doing and he does.......I'd take the advice.

none of us are here just for your problems, people who can help do just that.....when they can....if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have to wait for peoples help. Feel me?

Try not having such a tude.

i dont know what you believe is "having such a tude", but im sure that if that was the case  i would complain about not getting a reply, rather than simply stating that i'd rather not wait and go ahead and try it out.. and im ALSO sure that nobody here started out knowing what they were doing..

but anyways.. i tried burning 2.7 AND 2.6 onto a CD-R, but the disc wouldn't load.. yet it can load my nfl 2k5.. im guessing the disc drive only reads DVD-R's even though i thought samsung drives could read CD-Rs, and mine has a samsung drive.. ill probably buy some DVD-R's tomorrow or something, but please tell me if that isn't the problem so i dont go out and buy somethin i dont need

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 03:25:00 AM »

Righto, was half expecting that. Some softmods won't boot burnt discs if there's a problem with the dashboard.

That said, most X-Boxes I've seen are happier reading burnt DVDs rather then CDs.

I don't suppose you can contact your friend, see if he remembers how he modded the console? Any details he can recall would be handy, even if he can't be specific.

Regardless of the state of the softmod/dashboard, you should be able to boot retail game discs. However! If you unplug the console from the mains for too long, it'll forget the time and refuse to let you load games until you reset it. With no dashboard you can't do that.

Whatever happens you should be able to fix the console, but some more details would be handy in determining the easiest route.

smokersx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Mar 22 2008, 02:25 AM) *

Righto, was half expecting that. Some softmods won't boot burnt discs if there's a problem with the dashboard.

That said, most X-Boxes I've seen are happier reading burnt DVDs rather then CDs.

I don't suppose you can contact your friend, see if he remembers how he modded the console? Any details he can recall would be handy, even if he can't be specific.

Regardless of the state of the softmod/dashboard, you should be able to boot retail game discs. However! If you unplug the console from the mains for too long, it'll forget the time and refuse to let you load games until you reset it. With no dashboard you can't do that.

Whatever happens you should be able to fix the console, but some more details would be handy in determining the easiest route.

my friend didnt mod it, whoever he got it from did, but i will definitely talk to him tomorrow and see if he knows anything, or if he can get a hold of whoever he got it from to get some information..

do you think its likely that the fact i didnt use a DVD-R is the problem? likely enough for it to make sense for me to buy some DVD-R's at least?

neal73

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 05:48:00 AM »

If it can still boot retail games, then would using splinter cell (or any of the other soft mod games) with the exploit on a memory card grant him FTP access?

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »

No. The saves already need to be on his HDD.

What are the odds of the CD-R being a problem - Who knows? Different consoles act in entirely different ways when it comes to burnt discs. Unless you've tried them in your box before there's no way to make an educated guess one way or the other.

zzbnoona

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »

try a CDRW always worked for me

smokersx

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »

ok so my friend said he doesn't have a clue, and he got it from a guy he used to work with so im not gonna be able to find out that way..

smokersx

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 04:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(zzbnoona @ Mar 23 2008, 04:41 PM) *

try a CDRW always worked for me

nope, still nothing

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 07:04:00 AM »

Take the HDD out of the console, put it in your PC. Load Xplorer360 and see if it can read the drive.

If not, you're gonna have to hotswap.
Pages: [1] 2