xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc Hd Ghosting/noise  (Read 258 times)

spokenrope

• Archived User
Xbmc Hd Ghosting/noise
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »

I've been having a little bit of trouble getting xbmc to play nicely with my HDTV.  When I first got the TV, I bought a component cable for the xbox similar to this one:

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/images/ne...ducts%20002.jpg

After adjusting my settings and making sure that the xbox was outputting in 720p, I noticed that everything looked great, except there was some pretty severe ghosting going on.  It was more noticeable on high contrast menus like xTV, but it was certainly always there.

So now, a couple of months later, I've borrowed a friend's hd pack to try to see if that would help out at all.  One of these, with some component cables:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-XBox-High-...k/dp/B00005R6YZ

After hooking that up, I noticed that the ghosting was gone but replaced with what I would consider to be "noise."  Again, it's most noticeable on skins like xTV where the contrast is high, but on the borders around the letters, there's definitely some distortion and movement.  It's most noticeable up closer to the TV, of course, but I'm pretty anal about stuff like this, and I would prefer it to not be there at all if possible.

So, does anybody have any advice for me here?  I wouldn't mind buying another HD pack if I knew it would fix the problem for me.  Thanks.

spokenrope

• Archived User
Xbmc Hd Ghosting/noise
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »

Nobody has any advice for me here?

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Xbmc Hd Ghosting/noise
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

Ghosting is because you bought cables that had poor to no insulation you just need better cables
As for the other thing no idea about fonts they should be fine but th eimages in xTV were never designed to be for HDTV so that would explain that

On the other hand did you consider that maybe its your TV (doing some sort of post processing) like scaling up 720p to 1080 because its the screens native resolution? Does your freinds TV have the bad text when he uses the official cables ?  I don't think any TV's actually have native 720p (1280x720 pixels) most tend to have 1360x768

This post has been edited by Jezz_X: Feb 27 2008, 11:43 PM