xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tried Installing A New Xbmc And Now It Doesn't Load Past The Xbox  (Read 273 times)

-89-

• Archived User

So, I downloaded the newest XBMC build and went to install it like I always do.

- Turned on the Xbox and had it load to XBMC
- Deleted the XBMC folder using Filezilla
- Tried to transfer over new XBMC folder from my computer using Filezilla
- Says too many connected users, still lets me go through the folders on the xbox despite that.
- I back out of the XBMC screen that was up and it his a black screen.
- I figure maybe I can just use my EvoX Boot CD to do the FTPing
- Nope, now it doesn't load anything at all, it just goes to the Xbox Logo screen and freezes.

What do I do??

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
Tried Installing A New Xbmc And Now It Doesn't Load Past The Xbox
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »

Sounds like you've gone and tried to updated XBMC while it's running. Don't do that.

Double check the boot disc you've got is good. Unless you're softmodded and the softmod is crap/busted, or you're running a BIOS that specifically wants to boot a certain dashboard before checking the DVD drive, it should work.

-89-

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »

I don't know how I could double check it, this is the only modded xbox I have.  I downloaded a torrent of Slayers EvoX Auto Installer v2.6.  It spit out an iso after extracting the winrar and it seems to check out.  I mean, my xbox isn't even loading like my actual real, not bootlegged, copies of xbox games.  Nothing is loading.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »

So specifically, everything freezes at the logo? Ouch.

If retail discs aren't working, then either your DVD drive is no good or your BIOS doesn't want to boot from there first. You still haven't mentioned how you're modded, but the later scenario only applies if you're using a modchip or a flashed TSOP.

If the DVD drive is the problem, you might try temporarily "stealing" another from a different console. They're interchangeable.

The only other thing I can think of is to try hotswapping to fix the drive contents.

-89-

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

Man, I really don't think it's the DVD drive at all.  It's never given me a bit of problems.  I'm sorry I don't have more info on how this thing is modded.  I sent it to somebody from this forum about 2 years ago and they installed a Xecuter modchip that was an older version modchip at the time.  Is there a way I can hook the Xbox HD to my PC and explore the contents and add XBMC back on there that way?  Or at least add something default.xbe can load up to??  I downloaded HD_fatXbox 1.4, but I keep getting a Disque Dur Xbox trouve sur \\.PHYSICALDRIVE2 error.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »

My memory just gave a spark - So long as the XBMC build you were using before is not ancient, you should be able to start an emergency recovery console (with FTP!) by holding white+Y when you boot up the X-Box.

-89-

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »

Problem is....XBMC isn't on there anymore after I deleted everything to put everything back on there.

Just tried it, nothing.  Still hanging at the Xbox screen.

- XECUTER2 LIVE LOADING SCREEN -
- BLUE XBOX LOGO POPS UP -
- XECUTER TEAM LOGO POPS IN AFTER THAT ANIMATION IS DONE -
- LOCKS -

I hear my HD repeating itself, probably constantly looking for the default.xbe which...doesn't exist on there anymore..

competes2win

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »

im assuming you have an Xecuter 2 something... do you have a little switch thing on the front of your xbox... or perhaps hidden inside of it? If so maybe you have a separate bios on the other bios bank... if it is your bios than you could switch to the other bank.... which if then the bios is good you should be able to play a properly formatted recovery disk. and fix the problem via ftp.

-89-

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »

I don't see a switch anywhere.  Hell, I don't even see the modchip anywhere.  I was told an xecuter2 was installed on this xbox, and the xecuter shit all pops up on the loading of the xbox, but I don't see it on the motherboard anywhere..

It's possible the guy bullshitted me and soft-modded it...but even if it is soft-modded, why would it load up all of those xecuter2 logos :\..

This post has been edited by -89-: Nov 7 2007, 09:05 AM

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »

I would be surprised if you did actually manage to delete your XBMC XBE. My money's on your old copy just being really, really old. After all, if the file couldn't be found, you'd likely get a BIOS error.

It's possible to flash the TSOP (the chip on the X-Box motherboard that holds the retail BIOS). This process provides nearly all the perks of a modchip... Without the actual modchip. Can't be done with a 1.6 X-Box, though.

This particular boot sequence sounds like the X2 5035. Quite a nice BIOS, that one, even if it's too big to fit into most TSOPs. Uses a config file on the HDD for it's settings so you don't have to reflash every time you wanna change something. Probably worth taking a look at that file when you fix this to prevent further issues (setup a secondary dashboard for example, and make sure DVD booting is correctly enabled. It's called "x2config.ini" and it should be sitting on the root of E:).

That is to say, there's the X2 chips, and then there's the X2 BIOSes. Kinda like how there's EvoX BIOSes and an EvoX dashboard.

It's possible to switch BIOS banks in the earlier console revisions, but even if you went to the trouble you'd likely only end up restoring the stock version. That's not much good to you.

Anyway! Xplorer360 lets Windows read/write to X-Box drives. Keep in mind you'll have to hotswap if yours is locked (which is likely if you're still using the stock HDD).

-89-

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »

Thanks for all of the info!  Yeah, if I can get this up and running, I'm taking every precaution in the book to make sure it doesn't happen again.  So, I need to hotswap (I've never done that before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif), yes yes, I know there are plenty of tutorials out there for me to follow though) and then use Xplorer360 to read the hard drive and put everything back on there?  Once I do that, do I just throw it back in the xbox and it automatically works or do I need to do anything extra beyond hotswapping, drag & drop XBMC on the PC, and putting it back in the xbox?

Also, I'm using a laptop for this and just have a USB hard drive enclosure to use for my SATA and IDE hard drives, so I'll be using that for the xbox hard drive.  Will that make things not work or should it be fine?

Also, my hard drive isn't stock.  300GB Maxtor drive.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »

Afraid I'm not a complete expert on using X-Box drives with PCs, but I've got a memory that certain programs at least won't deal with them over USB. I advise reading the forum threads listed in my link.

-89-

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »

Yeah, it looks like it won't work via USB.  I have no access to a desktop computer I can do any hotswapping in and I don't want to risk fucking up a friend's stuff.

Is there anybody I can send this to to hotswap and throw XBMC back on there? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)  I will pay for shipping and everything, I just need my xbox working again..

moosenoz

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Nov 4 2007, 08:16 AM) View Post

Sounds like you've gone and tried to updated XBMC while it's running. Don't do that.

i'm very interested in this reply for the following reason... what happens if i'm using XBMC as my dash? do i have to un-do the changes i made to the .xbe file in order to get xbmc as a dash before upgrading to a new build?

regards...

competes2win

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 07:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(moosenoz @ Nov 8 2007, 09:09 PM) View Post

i'm very interested in this reply for the following reason... what happens if i'm using XBMC as my dash? do i have to un-do the changes i made to the .xbe file in order to get xbmc as a dash before upgrading to a new build?

regards...

if you used one of the short cuts to get xbmc as your dash than you don't have to do anything, just install the xbmc in the same place it was.
Pages: [1] 2