xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trouble Playing On Dvd Players  (Read 92 times)

frostt

• Archived User
Trouble Playing On Dvd Players
« on: February 14, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »

Hoping I can get some help here. I have been making backups of my DVD's by using DVD Decrypter for coping the files to the hard drive and running DVD shrink to shrink the files. I use Nero to burn the iso images. I have the Sony 710ul rewritable drive. Well, they all work fine on my xbox which has the Phillips drive but they won't work on my older Sony DVD player. It's about 7-8 yrs old. Not sure if it's the media or the DVD player. I'm cuurently using memorex 8x dvd+r's and have tried memorex 8x dvd-r's. Not sure if any other media will work or should I just by a new DVD player. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thks for your help <

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »

Definitely a media issue.  1. Older DVD Players don't care for DVD+R, unless you set the booktype/bitsetting to DVD-ROM (there is an option to do this in the latest DVD Shrink).  However your burner will need to support it.  Your burner is a re-badged Lite-On drive so I am pretty sure it is possible.  2. Sony standalone DVD Players can be fussy with media and Memorex don't use the best quality manufacturers to produce their media (ie CMC Magnetics, Prodisc).  Memorex DVD+R can be decent media.  Some of them are produced by Ricoh and they are excellent.  However, there is no gaurantee with what manufacturer you are getting from batch to batch so I recommend going with a better manufacturer.  Click on the link in my sig for more info. <

Mr Ed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »

Ok, this isn't an XBOX question, so into the garbage with ye.

Check out dvdrhelp.com or doom9.net for movie backup help.   :beer: <