xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Troubles With Launching Xdsl  (Read 340 times)

2 Bunny

• Archived User
Troubles With Launching Xdsl
« on: September 15, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »

Yes, it seems awkward that my second post here at The xBox Scene "Skinex" Community forums is a support related question, but here it goes:

I recently did a hard drive upgrade, as well as a DVD drive upgrade in my Classic xBox (I actually did a YouTube tutorial of the hard drive upgrade on YouTube as user "2BunnyReturns"), and shortly after did a "trade" with a friend my Thomson for his Samsung so i could read CD Rs. Of course now, DVD+R (or maybe it Was -R, I can't remember which) are out of the question. I really wanted that Philips vad035 that can read everything perfectly. Anyway, my xBox Linux launcher now does not work neither the 2.4 or the 2.41 dev.

Heres what happens: You press on the xromwell.xbe It starts up okay, and it does the "scanning ide devices" or whatever it says, and in the little white text identifys your ide devices. Only after the light stops blinking, nothing happens. The boot menu never comes up. It doesn't matter where I launch it from, hard drive, optical disc, or even a different dashboard. I get to exactly the point that you see in my guide video on my channel at 06:25. After that, that menu doesn't come up like it used to. I've uninstalled it, reinstalled it, done everything you could possible imagine. I'm thinking it has something to do with the upgrades, but I could be wrong about that. It just seems so weird and... frusturating.

Thank you so much everyone!

- 2 Bunny

Zebedee Rocks

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »

Try clearing your xbox's cache (X,Y, and Z partitions) then launch in unleashx.  For some reason cromwell is picky about how you launch it, also make sure you have all usb devices unplugged other than your controller.  Cromwell can't boot usb devices so it just hangs if you have something like a usb memory stick plugged in.

Good Luck,
Zeb

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zebedee Rocks @ Sep 16 2009, 12:03 PM) View Post
Try clearing your xbox's cache (X,Y, and Z partitions) then launch in unleashx.  For some reason cromwell is picky about how you launch it, also make sure you have all usb devices unplugged other than your controller.  Cromwell can't boot usb devices so it just hangs if you have something like a usb memory stick plugged in.

Good Luck,
Zeb

Oh thanks, that did the trick! I am surprised that with everything I did, the solution would be as simple as just unplugging the remote receiver.

love.gif  pop.gif

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

- 2 Bunny

Zebedee Rocks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »

Glad you got it working, I use memory sticks with Cromwell (the bios edition of xromwell, the boot loader) I always have to unplug the dang thing in order to boot linux, pain in the neck but what else are you going to do?

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zebedee Rocks @ Sep 16 2009, 10:19 PM) View Post
Glad you got it working, I use memory sticks with Cromwell (the bios edition of xromwell, the boot loader) I always have to unplug the dang thing in order to boot linux, pain in the neck but what else are you going to do?

Yeah, I guess it is a bummer. How do you get MemoryStick to work with xBox though? Did MemoryStick even exist back then?

- 2 Bunny

Zebedee Rocks

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

A simple FAT formatted usb flash drive=memory stick, they can be read in the latest versions of unleashx and XBMC.  I also use them with the linux distros on my xbox.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Zebedee Rocks @ Sep 17 2009, 07:52 PM) View Post
A simple FAT formatted usb flash drive/memory stick, they can be read in the latest versions of unleashx and XBMC.  I also use them with the linux distros on my xbox.

MemoryStick is like an SD card commonly used in Sony Cameras. I don't use Unleash X. It just seems so old school and quaint. I use The xBox Media Center for all my dashboard needs.

- 2 Bunny

Zebedee Rocks

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »

UnleashX does seem a little rustic but it works great for file browsing and stuff of that nature, EvoX is even worse.  However, XBMC is the best dashboard possible, in terms of multi-media/eye candy.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 06:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Zebedee Rocks @ Sep 18 2009, 11:51 PM) View Post
UnleashX does seem a little rustic but it works great for file browsing and stuff of that nature, EvoX is even worse.  However, XBMC is the best dashboard possible, in terms of multi-media/eye candy.

Oh, I am so sorry. I got Evolution X and Unleash X mixed up. Unleash X was the all right one, Evolution X was the not so good one.

So sorry about the mix up there!

- 2 Bunny