xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Mod Idea, Would Be Sweet..  (Read 115 times)

gangrel_1313

• Archived User
Dvd Mod Idea, Would Be Sweet..
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »

It still seems to me that if you had evolutionx or something on a DVD, and create a menu and a video that could execute the file, I swear it seems like this would work, the xbox downloads the files off the DVD to the hardrive anyway... [edit] I forgot, obviously you would need a dvd playback kit

Its been a while since I been in the xbox1 forums, looks a little different, im not even sure if this topic goes here, I thought there was a General Discussion forum for these things?

Anyway, let me know what you people think...

Matt

suplexx

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »

Sounds like a good idea, but you would of course have to have the playback kit like you said. I think there might could be a way, because it technically does launch the dvd. I'm not sure how it would work though.

Vzard

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »

If you are Mac users,try cheap DVD Burner for Mac,DVD Creator for Mac, you will enjoy the convenience and high-speed.
Best DVD Ripper Software is an another wonderful software when you need rip DVD to Mkv on Mac.
Have a try you will like it.

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »

Not to dig up an old thread, but I think if any of this were possible, it would have been done already...to every console capable of playing DVD video.  It is an interesting idea, though.  What I keep thinking of is those DVD-video based games that sell for $1.00 in bargain bins all over the place.  I wonder if you could get one of those to communicate with the Xbox HDD.

One other thing that I always had in the back of my mind is that when the Doom movie came out, the DVD featured a playable Xbox demo of Doom 3.  I only know this because I used to work at Blockbuster, and when I rented the movie I tried to watch it on my Xbox.  To my surprise, Doom 3 automatically launched.  I never did get around to checking into it, but I wonder if the Xbox would launch that .xbe from a burned copy of the Doom movie DVD.  I highly, HIGHLY doubt it, considering the Xbox seemed to completely ignore the fact that the disc was actually a video DVD.  I'm going to screw around with this.

The idea of an instant auto-installer DVD has always been nothing but a wet dream, but I think we've all studied the Xbox deeply enough now to find a way to make it work.  It would be ironic because I always used to have a feeling that the DVD-Playback kit was the key to modding Xboxes when they came out.  There's just something about the technology that "feels" like it could be used as a backdoor.

Could take me months, but this is my new official project.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »

Yes I would be curious as to whether or not the .xbe would launch from a burned copy as well. It would seem to me that the odds of a retail DVD movie being "signed" by M$ are very slim. Possible, but not likely, and no sig means more experimenting.

Yea, let us know if you try it.

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Oct 29 2010, 12:48 AM) View Post

Yes I would be curious as to whether or not the .xbe would launch from a burned copy as well. It would seem to me that the odds of a retail DVD movie being "signed" by M$ are very slim. Possible, but not likely, and no sig means more experimenting.

Yea, let us know if you try it.

Looks like I'm going to have to find it online somewhere.  I shopped around for it the other day and I found the movie, but not the one with the Doom 3 demo.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »

Actually, I may be able to test a few things. My buddy has the movie The Chronicles of Riddick and he says there is a Chronicles of Riddick game demo on the disc but I am not sure if it is just a video clip of the game play or if it is an actual playable demo for the xbox. I will get it from him and mess around with it.  muhaha.gif