xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How About A Web Browser?  (Read 163 times)

Crispy3000

• Archived User
How About A Web Browser?
« on: July 07, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

Couple of choices.

There is a simple web browser called 'linksboks' that you can run like any other xbe app.  Its designed to be used by a controller.  I'll save you the hair pulling and tell you that you can access the text entry by pushing in the left stick button.  Its got a funky text entry system.  Basically groups of 4 letters differnt colours based on the xbox buttons.  You use the joystick to navigate to a particular group and 1 of 4 buttons to chose a letter.  Surprisingly quick once you get used to it.

Boot into a linux distro and use firefox/opera.
If you just want something nice and simple you can run quickly without formatting your drive try 'Knoppix'. Its small and setup with a web browser / vncviewer /pdf viewer plus more ready to go.  You can use a controller but a mouse makes things a lot easier.

You can find 'linksboks' in the usual place.  Knoppix just google for it.  xdsl (Xbox port of damn small linux) is worth a look too.

Hope that helps.  Remember you xbox only has a small amount of memory comparable to that of modern mobile phones so be patient with it as little memory to buffer the webpages..  

If you want to be really sick you can get win98 to run on the xbox and use ie  muhaha.gif

yammez

• Archived User
How About A Web Browser?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »

thanks for the info, i've checked out LinksBoks. The only download available on their website is for the source files. According to the readme, i have to compile it in Visual Studio.

I do not have Visual Studio or anything, so how do I get this thing to run on my xbox?

ldotsfan

• Archived User
How About A Web Browser?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »

Available from the usual place.

JordanQ

• Archived User
How About A Web Browser?
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

well i must suggest x-dsl because in the topic below (about the web browser) has the link to x-dsl.

p.s. i'm writing this from my xbox

Maturion

• Archived User
How About A Web Browser?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »

X-DSL is a mini Linux distribution. You have Firefox preinstalled on it and you can even get Opera to run on it. It is legal.

LinksBoks is a native Xbox application and was made using the XDK. You can get it rom Xbins (which seems to be down at the moment),

gangrel_1313

• Archived User
How About A Web Browser?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »

Just a thought, would xbox web browsers look shitty? like webtv or something? I thought I heard something about this because of the screen resolution on TV's compared to computer... TV's are limited, well maybe not the newer ones with HD but the older ones dont have that great of resolution.