xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox To Xbox Backup (ftp And Disk)  (Read 207 times)

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
Xbox To Xbox Backup (ftp And Disk)
« on: June 25, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »

Have you come across the Xbox-to-Xbox transfer guide in my signature?

Crispy3000

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:09:00 AM »

I see why I did not see it now.  The ftp option is just off the page in the fileexplorer options (I did not even know there were pages as there was so much space between the other options).  Even knowing where to look took me a mo to find it.

Cheers

exraid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »

I use WS_FTP to copy games from xbox to xbox. I just connect both xbox to my router, run EvoX dash on both, ftp to both xbox with WS_FTP and copy/paste games.

I never had any errors or problems.

gasclown

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »

Have done box to box a lot, and I mean A LOT over the years... Avalaunch is faster and easier than any of the other solutions stated above.

As awesome as Xbmc is, it's ftp is slow (less than half the speed of ava on average). Unleashx is unreliable with dir's with lots of small files (emus and music for example), it is faster than xbmc but slower than ava.

Trust me, even though you have no reason to... you will have the best box2box experience possible with Avalaunch.

wink.gif

Crispy3000

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »

Cloning is rarely useful between different xboxes unless your lucky enough to have the exact same drive in both (or don't care about losing space). I love acronis as a clone tool when I use it though its sooooo much better than ghost there in different universes.  

I did it with UnleashX in the end. Avalaunch's ftp I've always found buggy (does not display listing correctly on changes).

XBMC ftp server is good can't fault but as i said before xbmc ftp client has issues (you can't use it to copy all games between the xboxes).

gasclown you say UnleashX is unrealiable when small files.  As part of my backup I did my emulators and roms no problems (that I know of).  Do you mean Unleashx misses stuff/Corrupts Stuff/ or gives an error message?

Also worth noting I used active ftp for bulk of the transfer as they were on the same subnet but I did backup a few games via PASV ftp using it too across wifi subnet still no reported errors.  Only thing I did notice was the total number of files and data copied reported by unleashX summary seemed wrong on the finish.  However the on disk stuff looks right.  I did do a huge backup with it in one lump (250gb+) and got a good data rate too of ~12MB/s (Obviously thats using boost mode as it exceeding 10MB/s network theoritcal network speed limit).

Still I have copied on lots of different xboxs now if I find a problem I got a backup happy.gif.

On a slightly different note during this setting up a new xbox I put a new shiny western digital harddrive 500GB.  I checked it was lockable before purchase but I was gutted to the see the message "An error occured" from unleashX when trying to lock the drive.  After taking a deep and breath (plus a quick shot of whyskey) I tried locking the drive using config magic and no probs.

So just so people know UnleashX does have issues with some drives it seems.

#############################

Also for those people with multiple xboxes is very much worth setting your hdkey to be the same in the eeprom across your xboxes.  Many games lock their saves to that value and means you can swap your drives between xboxes in case of failure (and if you forgot to backup eeprom).

I got help from people doing this on this thread:

Altering Eeprom

Hopes that helpful

Crispy3000

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

The UnleashX to UnLeashX backup method has a serious bug as guy above mentioned but did not elaborate.

I just posted about it in the unleashX forum have a look:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=660085