xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stripped Down Bios  (Read 405 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Stripped Down Bios
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »

Don't use the iND-BIOS config program, just edit the config file directly. It's far easier, and you can easily see (or have an educated guess at) which config directives to change.

If you want VGA you will need a dedicated VGA BIOS. iND-BIOS.5001 comes in a VGA version.

It is possible to load a game instead of the dashboard, just edit the config to point to your game, or put a shortcut (the Team XBMC shortcut) in place of the dashboard. I don't think you can make a hacked BIOS boot a different game if you boot with the eject button.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »

In theory you could have a softmod and a chip.  
wouldnt work with a  tsop though.
and have the chip bios look for a diferent xbe to the softmod default boot up..
Ths configuration of this could be a huge pain in the neck though, as the softmod would want to softmod the chipped bios when the chip was running, and that dosent work.

So a tsop flash + chip with the bt wired to the eject button would probably serve just as well.
you would need to configure 1 of the bios files to search for a diferent dash 1st..
"they usualy have a list of where they search and for what. to find the dash board files"

then again you could probably achive the same thing with a dual boot softmod. where you would replace files with game files.
however i would not recommend it.

you could also get a chip with bank select and have 2 diferent bioses configured to search for a diferent xbe 1st. and use the bank select switch to chose the game,

I dont think a tsop can dual boot though.
But i supose that it could be possible to split a 1.0/1.1 tsop and have it act similar but that wouldnt work from eject. Unless of course you changed the eject button for a diferent click on click off switch. and then it wouldnt be much use as an eject button. it would just be a bank select button.

alpha_prime

• Archived User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:40:00 AM »

Ok, thanks for all the info. I'll start with the custom bios. I'm currently modifying the config file. Do I have to edit something to disable the dvd drive check? To have it autoboot a game, should I just change the 'Dash1' directory to the game's .xbe file?

I guess I'll have to either use a multiple bank modchip or a double tsopped v1.0/1.1 xbox, as a dual softmod won't work without a dvd drive.

Heimdall

• Archived User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:09:00 AM »

Yes.
Yes.

Make sure you can boot a rescue disc from DVD before you start, so you can recover if you make a mistake in the dash config.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »

prety sure 99.999999% sure that the ind bios dosent need any altering to run without dvd.
and im 60% sure the m8+ on hexen dvd has to be eidted to run with out dvd.
no idea about the x2 bios though. never really use them.

Movax

• Recovered User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »

You should consider why you need dual booting and if it is important enough to split the TSOP.

Splitting the TSOP the normal way that you will find on google will work, but will result in a bus conflict, shorting some address lines to GND. This may or may not cause a problem. You should disconnect those lines from the MCPX chip and supply only Vcc or GND to a18, a19 or use a resistor appropriately.

alpha_prime

• Archived User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »

I've been messing around with the inf config file and most of it is working. Only 2 problems:

-disabling the igr doesn't work. I can still use igr in my (unleashx)dash.

-won't autoboot my games. I tried

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\f\games\loc\default.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe
DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe
DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

but it just boots unleashx dash.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »

you may have better luck if you named the default.xbe  to evoxdash.xbe

im prety sure bioses like to search for that 1st and most dash installs will have you rename the new dash to that....

also its not F its partition 6 or 7 or sumthing

so try
DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\partition7\games\loc\default.xbe

"according to xbpartitioneer F is partition 7"
although im not sure the bios actualy counts them the same way

so you may want to try. 6 5 and 4 excetera untill you get it..
also have you tried dissabeling IGR for the dash..

alpha_prime

• Archived User
Stripped Down Bios
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 03:26:00 AM »

Well, autobooting just doesn't want to work. Either it boots evox, or a black screen. I've installed the games on the E: drive.

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Games\loc\evoxdash.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe
DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe
DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

I've tried altering dash3, no difference.