xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Guide To Bigger Hdd With Software Exploits Only  (Read 2709 times)

hvk

• Archived User
Guide To Bigger Hdd With Software Exploits Only
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2003, 08:48:00 AM »

This is basically a modified version of what heathkit did (thanks a million for the xlinux dd thing, that was my only problem to solve in my quest)..

BUT I didn't want to use a SAMBA share or bother installing config magic.  

Needed:
1.0 Xbox (or so mine was)
New HDD *lockable*
TEMP HDD (FAT32, can be a couple gigs)
evox installed and working
HDD driver
hdprepar (yes, that's the spelling)
liveinfo
dos boot disk with unlockx
xlinux boot CD
some basic knowledge....

READ THIS OVER FULLY BEFORE YOU START (twice even!), you may be able to merge some steps together if your more comfortable than the level I wrote this for.

Assuming you already have Bert N Ernie or something loaded... *see other guides*

1. Run the Backup option in the evox menu of your xbox

2. FTP in and download the c:backup folder somewhere safe

3. Boot DOS floppy

4. Use unlockx to unlock your HDD with the key from the "backup" information from evox. (unlock it twice in a row)

5. Reboot in windows and run HDD Driver (even if it fails, just use the utility to backup your HDD, just in case!)

6. Reboot in windows with the new xbox HDD drive you want to use connected

7. Run hdprepar and DO your NEW drive (just zero first 4096)

8. Run liveinfo and use your .bin from the evox backup and select the NEW HDD and get the _new_ hard drive key... write it down/print it, you'll need it

9. Reboot off xlinux CD-ROM with original xbox as Primary Master or CS is fine (so i'll assume its hda) and your TEMPHDD as Secondary Master (so i'll assume it's hdc) and make the CD-ROM Secondary Slave.

10. Once in xlinux, if you go to /dev you should see hda50 hda51 hda52... and hdc# say hdc1

11.  now in console type
        mkdir /mnt/temp
        mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/temp
        dd if=/dev/hda51 of=/mnt/temp/xboxc.img  (makes image file on temp HDD)
this should give you a message about blocks in and out (complete)

11a. Now Reboot with the NEW Xbox HDD as CS (should become primary master).  again in console type
        mkdir /mnt/temp
        mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/temp
        dd if=/mnt/temp/xboxc.img of=/dev/hda51  (writes image to new HDD xbox's C)
this should give you a message about blocks in and out (complete)
now we can check it out!
        mkdir /mnt/newxboxc
        mount -t fatx /dev/hda51 /mnt/newxboxc   (now you can ls it and see if it's okay)
lets copy that xboxc image FILE to our new xboxc, for FTP later as backup.
        cp /mnt/temp/xboxc.img /mnt/newxboxc/
should be all done now

12. Reboot with DOS floppy and NEW HDD connected (only) and have jumpered as the same as it was on the original xbox HDD (mine was cable select), make sure it's on the PRIMARY CHANNEL.

13. Run unlockx and select the new HDD and lock it with the NEW HDD KEY you got from liveinfo.

14. Reboot and check that it's locked in unlockx

15. Install into xbox and boot it up! (should work like old drive)

16. FTP in and download xboxc.img to your computer

17. configure evox to format your F, X, Y and Z drives (NOT C or likely E) *see other guides*

18. Reboot computer with original xbox HDD and run unlockx and enter the ORIGINAL HDD key to lock it

19. Reboot and check that locking went ok

20. Put original xbox HDD in static bag and enjoy the larger one you just installed

I know you can eliminate some reboots and whatnot by having more drives connceted, but I just left it as is (little less likely to mess your drives up by say hdprepar'ing the wrong drive).

BTW, I am at working typing this... I did the swap late last night so I am going by a fading memory :).  I'll edit this post as I can since I know it's not written very professionally at all.

Enjoy

P.S. Don't blame me if you mess your xbox up, thanks.

This post has been edited by hvk: Jul 16 2003, 11:00 AM

heathkit

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2003, 10:05:00 AM »

P.S. if someone wants to try this it might work, but I didn't do it this way (just use ONE dd)
dd if=/dev/hda51 of=/dev/hdc51
Don't know how the command fully works so...... let me know!

I don't think this command would work.  I originally wanted to do something like this, because then you could bypass making the image altogether and do

dd if=/dev/hda51 of=/dev/hdc51

However, I couldn't get xlinux to see the xfat partitions on anything other than the hda (primary master) drive.  I could be wrong, but I think you still need some manner of secondary storage.  This could be a samba share, a fat partition, or any linux partition.

hvk

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2003, 10:15:00 AM »

Ah, thanks for answering that question..  

I had a FAT32 temp drive and went to that first.. I'll update the guide now for that.  I was assuming it could load fatx off any channel, but I guess not.

Johnrx86

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2003, 10:40:00 AM »

would it be possible to stick the new drive in a modded box, use evoxnewhd, then put the font exploit stuff on it, and put it in the box w/ no chip?

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2003, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (Johnrx86 @ Jul 14 2003, 08:40 PM)
would it be possible to stick the new drive in a modded box, use evoxnewhd, then put the font exploit stuff on it, and put it in the box w/ no chip?

no ... the evoxnewhd disk will not boot with a empty HD and original bios.

brandonopolis

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2003, 02:12:00 PM »

I just got the Free-X exploit up and running last night.

I don't think 8-10GB is enough space for me.. heh..

I may try this later today with my spare 30GB drive, sounds somewhat simple enough.

LafferUSA

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2003, 02:59:00 PM »

will an old drive like 5400rpm 2mb cache work well with Xbox, or will i have to get a faster one?

hvk

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2003, 04:23:00 PM »

LafferUSA, That'll be fine.. some people prefer 5400 RPM since they generally produce less heat.

LafferUSA

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2003, 08:18:00 AM »

Yea I guess that make sense.

IntestineMan

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2003, 08:50:00 AM »

msg removed.

This post has been edited by IntestineMan: Jul 18 2003, 06:32 AM

IntestineMan

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »

Edited due to original post being changed, therefore my comments no longer making sense.

This post has been edited by IntestineMan: Jul 18 2003, 06:32 AM

shinobi006

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2003, 10:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (IntestineMan @ Jul 15 2003, 09:44 AM)
The problem is locking the new HDD for use with the xbox. From what I can tell above, liveinfo is the program that provides key to do this for new HDD.

So I ask, why not just use HDD Driver to re-write the image to the new HDD instead of all that linux stuff ?

I remember last year, before the fancy utils to upgrade drive with modchip, I upgraded to an 80 gig. I used the swap method and HDD Driver to image my original drive, then I wrote that image to a larger 80 gig drive with HDD driver. I then put in Xbox and had to run an ftp command in evox to format F:. I think one could do similar but add the unlockx using liveinfo key step to lock the drive beforehand.

HDD driver only works with xbox hard drives, how did you get it to work with anything else? Sorry but this just sounds too easy.

This post has been edited by shinobi006: Jul 15 2003, 05:33 PM

gokussj007

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2003, 12:21:00 PM »

can someone give me specific intructions on what to do?

Once in xlinux, if you go to /dev you should see hda50 hda51 hda52... and hdc# say hdc1

what in the world does that means.. the guy didn't even give an exact command line... I'm not good with linux.. but I need to know.. how do I look into... 'dev to see those devices... please..

IntestineMan

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2003, 11:47:00 AM »

shinobi006... ya it has been a while since I used HDD Driver and I missed out a step.

The HDD Driver can restore a backup image also but...

What you need to do is hex-edit the new HDD so it looks like an Xbox drive which enables the HDD Driver to recognize it.

Here is some relevant info from the rtf that comes with HDD Driver.

The program supports a backup/restore function which can back up the HDD to an image file, and restore it if the drive gets really messed up.

2. It finds the drive by looking for "BRFR" at 0x600. If the drive gets messed up here (and it shouldn't) use a sector editor to add BRFR and restore the drive from within the program.

If I remember correctly, you do not need to prep the new/old drive with zeros with hdprep, but just hex-edit those bytes with winhex at 0x600 and then HDD Driver will recognize and re-image the entire drive from a backup (ie. it would overwrite the zeros anyways). I think hdprep hex-edits the 0x600 automatically but I am not sure. I would just de-select zeroing and see what it does. I will try later and let you know.

This post has been edited by IntestineMan: Jul 15 2003, 06:55 PM

IntestineMan

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2003, 01:20:00 PM »

As I said above to use ConfigMagic to unlock the original Xbox HDD... you can also, like mentioned before, use UnlockX and the password from the evox backup. This is probably less scary but more typing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7