xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tsop/007 Mod  (Read 750 times)

Sykotek

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« on: August 18, 2003, 05:21:00 AM »

Here is exactly what I did this weekend to mod a 1.1 xbox using the 007 hack and slayer's autoinstaller.

1.  Get the 007 evox installer save game on a memory card.  FTP to a friend's modded xbox is the easiest method.  Once the game in ftp'd to the modded xbox, just copy it over to a mem card using the ms dash memory menu.  It is important that you also load the bios image you are going to use into the bios folder under the gamesave, so that when evox boots through 007 later you can flash.  Make sure it is a 1024kb image.

2.  Open the unmodded xbox and solder the write protect jumpers.  The easiest way to do this is to use a very thin piece of uninsulated wire, and cross the points with it.  I find that trying to glob solder across the points tends to make a mess, you can do a very clean install using a wire instead.  Use a nice long wire, solder it to one point, then lay it across the other point and tack it down.  Once it's bridged just wiggle the wire till it snaps off, leaving only the 1-2mm across the points.

3.  Now fire up 007 in the unmodded xbox.  Once the main menu is up go to load game and select the memory card that you copied the hacked gamesave onto.  The screen should go black and in a few seconds you should see the evox menu.

4.  Go into system settings and then select flash bios.   Choose the bios you copied over in step 1.  If you get a message saying "flash not write enabled" or something like that then go check your solder points, you missed one.  You should get a message telling you what version bios you have, and then it will ask you to confirm.  Once you do, do not touch anything.  If your xbox crashes, powers off, etc, during this part, you're going to need to install a mod chip to fix it.  You will see the existing bios being erased, then the new image loaded.  Your xbox will now power off and you're modded.  

5.  Insert the Slayer's evox installer cd and turn the box on.  Build the box as you wish, I choose "install evox on retail HDD".  Once this completes, remove the evox installer cd/dvd and reboot.  You should boot directly into evox.  

That's it.  15 minutes tops and you're modded and ready to go, basically for free.  Does not get much better than that.

Later,

Sykotek

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 05:27:00 AM »

As a side note, I left out the part about copying the save game to the unmodded xbox hard drive, because I have had no problems whatsosver getting the save game hack to drop into evox directly off the mem card.

Haruno

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 10:02:00 AM »

so if i already have font working prefectly
all i do is solder the TSOP
i should put the bios in a folder named bios in c:?? or is it possible to change the directery from evox.ini?
and how big is the bios? 1024?? are you sure?????.......how about on a 1.0?
then i goto evox and flash
then when i get a hdd i put it in and put in slayers and do the rest?
and if slayers somehow fails there is no risk right? just put it in my comp and format to fat32, back to xbox to fatx
for tsop is there any risk? like if i solder completely wrong i can still run my xbox just fine right?still play off hdd still play evox....?

Sykotek

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »

I would remove the font hack and start from scratch but it is up to you.

All you would have to do is solder the tsop write jumpers and flash it.  If you're running evox off the HDD, then put the bios in the c:bios folder.  If you're running off the savegame hack, it goes in the bios folder under the 000000000000000 folder in the savegame.  

The bios on all but the very newest xboxes is 1MB.  The 1.2 and 1.3's use a 256KB image I believe.

The slayer install is low risk, if it fails miserably (never happened to me) then you can just reformat the HDD and start over.  However, if you mess up the soldering bad enough you could cook the xbox.  And if your power fails or something like that when flashing the TSOP it's also a pain, you'll have to solder in a chip to recover.

This post has been edited by Sykotek: Aug 21 2003, 11:49 AM

Haruno

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »

well if i solder bad can't i like unsolder it? wouldn't that put it back to normal?i'm a noob to soldering but i know someone who works at a place that solder stuff onto motherboards and he's gonna help me...welp whatever i'll try this after i save enuf money for a hdd (i just bought a 120 hdd for my computer not me xbox though...)

Sykotek

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 11:03:00 AM »

If you solder poorly then I would think twice about the tsop jump.  The points are tiny and can be tricky to bridge using just solder, so I recommend using a wire to jump across them.  The problem is that if you mess it up badly enough you can lift or burn a trace which can be quite difficult to fix especially if you're not that good at soldering to begin with.

00XeRo

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 09:31:00 AM »

^^^
Yeah, definately. I learned that the hard way.

I messed up my alternate d0, and I had to do a trace repair...wow that was hard. I have a picture of it.

Diagram
Actual picture of it (I replace the tape with hot glue)

Syko, I might try this method, but I don't understand your first step...mainly this part:
Once the game in ftp'd to the modded xbox, just copy it over to a mem card using the ms dash memory menu.

Sykotek

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »

OK let me break it down for you.

First you need a modded xbox, or a friend with a modded xbox.  What you need to do is unzip the 007 evox savegame on a PC.  You will see a UDATA folder.  Under the UDATA folder there will be another folder with some cryptic name.  What you need to do is ftp this folder (and all it's subordinate files) into the E:UDATA folder on the modded xbox.   This puts the save game on the xbox.

Now start up the modded xbox, with a controller and memory card connected.  Start up the good old MS dashboard.  Go into the 'memory' menu and choose the hard drive.  You should see a 007 save game, or multiple 007 save games if you already had a legit 007 save.  You can easily tell the difference between the hacked one and a real one, as the real one is around 8 blocks where the hacked one is around 290 if I remember correctly.  

Highlight the large, hacked 007 savegame and choose copy.  Choose your memory card as the destination, and it will copy it over.  That's it.  Now you can turn on the unmodded box, throw in 007, and load a saved game off that mem card.  It should crash the game, go black for a moment, then start EvoX.

Any Q's let me know!

This post has been edited by Sykotek: Aug 21 2003, 06:13 PM

Sykotek

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 10:05:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

Sykotek

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »

sleeping.gif

00XeRo

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »

Alright, I understand now. Thanks haha.

I will have to try it soon

I have another question though....

Do you need the original auf disc? Or will a burned one work?

I really don't want to go out and buy it, because I don't care for the game, and would never play it even if I did own it, so I'm not really pirating am I?

This post has been edited by 00XeRo: Aug 21 2003, 07:34 PM

Haruno

• Archived User
Tsop/007 Mod
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 08:56:00 AM »

i think u need legit unless somehow ur brillient MS dash can play it
and if u can already ftp there's not really a point of starting all over from scratch and redoing the exploit...

i decided not to do this and just use my computer and winhex and whatnot for the new hard drive...this is just way to risky