xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help Out A Total Newbie  (Read 1104 times)

XBox05

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« on: July 22, 2003, 11:10:00 AM »

i read many tutorials and comments on this site and im very confuse on where to start.  Everyone speaks in some kind of code language and i dont understand it.  i need some info on where to start like should i make a copy of my c: drive before starting anything? and what the hell is the E: and F: drive.  Give me some info and links on where i should start.  And tell me what you recommend.  what is the bert and ernie or 007 hack (i have the game) which one is better? how bout the bigfontz and audio xploit? whats that and which is better? and how do i connect my xbox to the computer? using cross cable,  ethernet? see im a total newbie

*I plan to use my xbox for playing games and dvds.  I think i have a v1.3 cuz i bought it last month.  K: 5101 D:4920. help me out.

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

ok the xbox hard drive

the xbox has a hard drive, this 1 hard drive is partitioned or split up into 5 hard drives (to the msdashboard, the thing you see when you load a game without a cd, it looks it 6 hard drives) the hard drives are labeled as follows c, e, x, y, z. (the d is the dvdrom) the c drive contains all of the ms operating system stuff, and the e is just there for content i guess x,y,z are all swap space on the drive, (space for games to put temp files and junk), btw if i get any of this wrong please feel free to correct me. the f drive is for people who have installed bigger hard drives into the xbox, the f drive consistes of all of the free space above the original 8 gig original xbox hard drive. so if you installed a new 20 gig hard drive the f drive would be 12 gigs. (that is if you format the new drive correctly). now the e-drive is partitioned as the biggest drive on the original factory xbox (approx. 4 gigs), so if you were going to put anything on the xbox and didnt want to modify the hard drive then you would put it there.

now to the 007 auf (agent under fire) savegame hack,

to do this you need either and action replay, a mega-x-key, a friend with a modded xbox,  a modified memory card, or an extension cable that will allow you to plug in a controller to your computer and a normal memory card.

see: http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=44&t=79198

the 007 savegame hack allows you to get ftp access to your xbox and run a few apps without any hardware morification to your xbox. ( curently i have xbox media player and i watch divx's with it)

the plus to the 007 savegame hack is that there are no modifications to the original xbox ms dash (ie. you have to run 007:auf and run the savegame hack inorder for the xbox to be hacked) the down side is that you have to run 007:auf every time you want it to be hacked (ie you cant go directly into the hack) and you cant eject the cd/dvd or it will reboot, and a few other things.

now to run the savegame hack you have to:
1. get the file (figure this one out, its not that hard)
2. put it on the modified memory card, mega-x-key, action replay.......
3. without any game - cd - dvd -... in the xbox turn it on and copy the savegame to the xbox hard drive (you only need to do the above steps once)
4. whenever you want to load the hack you have to insert the 007 game, when you are in the game you need to load the hacked savegame. this will put you into the evox (evolutionx) dashboard and give you ftp access to your xbox.

(btw there are versions of the 007 hack for mechassault, thats what i use)

Now Big fonts, audio hack, bert and earnie, bert is cheating on earnie... :

all of the above mentioned are ways, once you have ftp access to your xbox to make it so that it boots up every time with a hacked dash, the problem with those is the clock probelm aka: clock reset, infinite loop, my xbox is fucked, my xbox is fubar'ed.

the way these work is you replace the xbox font files (or audio files) with these hacked versions and it causes the xbox dashboard to ummm "break" and lets you load any dash you want. (more specifically it causes a buffer overflow in the dashboard allowing you to overwrite the original dash and run unsigned code)

what happens is that if you leave your xbox unplugged for an extended amount of time your clock gets reset, and this messes up the font hacks and the audio hacks and causes your xbox to reset endlessly. i dont reccomend using any of these, especially for a newbie, until a lot of the buggs have been worked out.

now the network cable:

ok first of all you have to have an ethernet port on your computer, if you dont know what this is it looks like a phone jack just a little wider and if you have dsl you have one of these. if you dont konw what it is.. then you probably dont have one but you should goto best buy and theyll explain it to you. anyway.. if you have a hub/router/switch then get the regular network/ethernet cable.. if you dont then get a crossover... thats it.. hope i got all of your questions..

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 05:37:00 PM »

oh yeah... and you should make sure what version of the xbox you have.. im not sure if all of these xploits work on every xbox

mplsldp

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 07:51:00 PM »

darkfire01, that was very considerate and a nice explanation too.

could you be more specific as to what the actual problems are for each of the hacks: big fonts, BE, BE reloaded, pheonix and complex?

i am finding it difficult to decide which to use. thanks.

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 01:37:00 AM »

bigfonts be and be reloaded have the same time/clock problem.. which is that if the clock resets by leaving the xbox unplugged for an extended amount of time then the xbox will not boot and reset over and over again the next time you try to turn it on.. currently i have pheonix, which is nice in that it doesnt permenently modify anything and that i only use it when i need it. pheonix runs compleatly off of the savegame so whenever you want to use the hack all you have to do is pop in you 007 or mech game and goto "load linux" in the save game section.

check out: http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=44&t=79331

that will tell you how to modify the savegame hack and put pheonix onto it and set it up.. you are first going to need to run the savegame hack alone so you can put evox dashboard onto say the c or e drive.. the good thing about pheonix is that you dont have to patch any of the xbe's like you would with the savegame hack alone. the bad thing is that it still reboots when you try and eject the dvd... so you are stuck with only being able to put media on and off the xbox through ftp (ethernet connection).. if you want a way to expand the funtionality of your xbox and still **mostly** keep the waranty.. then go with this.. i play nes roms and snes roms on it and watch movies.. and im fine with just that much.. and i doubt m$ will care for that and they will be less likly to ban me from live just for that.. if you want to play you backups and have a lot more functionality.. get a chip.. its a lot easier to work with a lot of the time.. i know that after a while.. imma get a chip.. just cause im having soo much fun with this..

oh yeah and bigfonts and be and stuff like that.. if you use those your xbox acts like its compleatly modded...

anything else..??

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 01:41:00 AM »

oh yeah and if you dont already have a memory card i recommend getting the mega x key.. its a lot cheaper after everything and you get a lot more space.. especially if you dont have a soldering iron and dont know how to solder.. i enjoy that stuff and i love doing things for myself.. and i hate waiting for shipping.. plus its good practice for when i get a mod chip... =) hehehe

Azazel

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 01:58:00 AM »

Damn, Darkfire that was very nice of you.

You must have way too much time on your hands! beerchug.gif

warriorpoet

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 05:59:00 PM »

OK, I'm coming into this as a newbie too.  I have a megaXkey.  I have the MechAssaultwithEvoX.rar file.  What I'm having trouble with is how to get the file onto the MegaXKey.  Because the software they provided doesn't seem to want to do it.  And the format of the Memory Stick is such that I can't just push the files on manually.  Would I be better off trying this in Linux, or would that just introduce me to a whole host of new problems?

Also, because I know I'll need it:
Once I load EvoX though the MechAssault hack, how would I go about executing the FreeX (font buffer under/overflow) hack?  Once I do execute, what files would I need to have ready to put a new dashboard on?

I'm sure some of these questions sound ridiculous, but *that's newbie's* for ya.

*gives up LART privileges* dry.gif
WarriorPoet

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 09:18:00 PM »

lol thanx i love hearin that i have too much time on my hands =).. im just a nite owl and nothin where i live is open past 7.. somtiems 9.. WOW.. lol.. but i took a day off work and thats acctually the only reason i replied to the post.. otherwise i might have just skipped by it.. lol..

but you guys gotta understand im just a newbie too... i just have a strong computer background... btw i got somthin wrong the d drive is the dvd rom.. lol i should fix that.. so its only split up into 5 the reason i thought it was another drive was cause the old pheonix messed it up..

im not too familiar with the mega x key software.. but what you should do is play mechassault save your progress after a little bit.. then eject the game and goto the msdash. when you are there put the mega x key into your xbox and copy the savegame from the hard drive to the mega-x-key.. after you have done that goto your computer put the mega x key into it and copy the savegame to your hard drive.. then goto the directory where the mega-x-key software stored the savegame.. this should give you an idea of how mega-x-key stores its savegames on the computer.. then figuring out where the data from the rar file goes should be that hard.. just remember to extract the rar file first.

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 09:29:00 PM »

oh yeah.. and check this out for the free-x font exloits..

http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=44&t=72997

oh yeah.. and he forgot to mention somthin.. you gotta rename bert and ernie files to xbox and xbox book.. acctually just check this out instead

http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=45&t=73499

oh yeah and the new bert and ernie files are out.. make sure you use those.. if you dont.. dont unplug your xbox.. =).. seriously.. get the new ones... they should have better time fix.. acctually.. im waiting.. the guys who made the bert and ernie files are releasing updates just about every day.. and they stress a lot that it is only in beta.. you really should wait till they are done and all the buggs are out....  leave the testing to the people with mod chips.. =) if their xbox's get messed.. they at least have a way out..

Whatup1049

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2003, 10:06:00 PM »

they are called July 25th bigfontz.

Darkfire you really wrote all that? Damn! rolleyes.gif

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 11:20:00 PM »

thanx.. preaty good for just my 20th post huh =)

bdk0172

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 02:48:00 PM »

I'm having a problem with getting the file to the memory card using Action Replay.  I'm trying to use MechassaultwithEvox.rar.  I've unzipped it and see all the files, but I don't know what I need to do in order to get it on the card.  I read the tutorial for setting up the AUF game save by copying the folders from 007 evox installer.zip into a UDATA folder and then zipping with a particular name.  I tried following that for the MechAssault files, but everytime I try to transfer through Action Replay, I get Invalid Game Save...

Any information anyone can give on how exactly I need to do this would be greatly appreciated.  I'm very eager to get this up and running soon.

mplsldp

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 03:08:00 PM »

darkfire01, thanks for the information on the software exploits.
i have a question for you though - would i be able to get the 007auf savegame into a normal usb memory card without using AR or MXK? i imagine you can at least copy paste it.
a friend of mine is going to simply copy over the savegame from his pc onto his 16MB dell usb memory stick.
he also bought this cable:
http://www.midwest-g...badforxbox.html
to help him transfer the game from the mem stick to his xbox hd.
question is, will it work? the main issue i think is whether the xbox will detect the regular 16 MB FAT formatted stick. any thoughts?

Darkfire01

• Archived User
Help Out A Total Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 03:42:00 PM »

oh yeah.. and if you guys want to be able to eject and everything but dont want to use the font exploits through fear of the clock problem.. try the audio exploit.. all you need is an audio cd =)

see: http://forums.xbox-s...5&t=73731&st=90

oh yeah and check out page 5.. thats the way to do it.. =)
Pages: [1] 2