xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Installer Discs Doesn't Boot  (Read 33 times)

habu23

• Archived User
Installer Discs Doesn't Boot
« on: December 15, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

I have a Xbox v1.6 chipped with Spiderchip 1.1, and flashed the bios with no problems (EvolutionX M8plus_16.).

The reason it was chipped because it just booted to error 16, and i thought that chipping it would help solve that.

Now the problem is that it still boots to error 16 (dashbord problems), and when i try to boot with installer discs (Auto Installer Deluxe 2.11 also tried slayers) the disc doesn't boot up.

But the strange thing is that when i start the xbox with the disc in, it goes to the big green xbox logo, and where the white MS text would display it reads "AID 2.1" for a while then it goes on to error 16.

Since that text show, i assume that it can read the disc, but it doesn't boot.
I have tested with a few different disc brands and tried using CD-rw, cd-r, dvd-r burned as slow as possible with no luck. Can it be a media related problem and i should just keep trying with different discs or is it something else?

ps. i tried searching but couldn't find anything, so if i have missed a thread i apologise.

slingshot2170

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »

An EvoX BIOS shouldn't be saying AID 2.1 under the Xbox logo. I'm thinking you flashed the BIOS with the wrong type of BIOS. Try downloading an Xecuter2 BIOS and see how that works out. You'll know it works if it says Xecuter2 under the X Logo.

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »

An EvoX BIOS shouldn't be saying AID 2.1 under the Xbox logo

The thing is that it only shows when the Auto Installer Deluxe disc is in the drive and the machine is powerd on, without the disc in it doesn't say anything there, and whit the slayer disc in it says MS under the big xbox logo. It's strange...

slingshot2170

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »

Check your connections and try reflashing the BIOS. If the modchip and the BIOS are both working correctly, you should see EvolutionX under the X Logo I believe.

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »

Will try that. When i boot the xbox i get the evo-x (or something like that) shield in the top left corner.

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 05:22:00 AM »

I have checked the connections, seems like they are all ok. I tried applying pressure on the chip, sometimes nothing happens (no xbox animation, just dark screen) and sometimes it comes to the big xbox logo and just sits there. Can it be that the chip isn't properly aligned or something like that?

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 06:04:00 AM »

This has nothing to do with the bios. The bios is working. If you flashed M8+.16 from the AID disc it will say AID under the logo when it boots. Its just a customisation of the bios.
The error 16 is missing clock.xip files from the dash which is corrupt.
You need to rebuild the original dash by booting from an autoinstaller. (Slayers is usually the most reliable coldboot, AID for some reason does not always coldboot on a drive with a corrupt dash.) to restore the dash files.
this will bring you to the clock setting screen on original MS bios boot and you should be back in action

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 06:09:00 AM »

OK, i'll try the slayer discs some more. Does it make a big difference if it's burned on a DVD+r or should any type work if i burn as slow as possible?

ps. I did not flash the bios from the AID disc, but with a seperate cd-r with the biosfile and a dummy file on it, so my bet is that the AID text under the logo comes from the disc somehow. When i try a slayer disc it says MS instead of AID

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 06:24:00 AM »

If the text only occurs with the disc in then it is definetely just the AID disc loading.
DVD-R is usually a tad more reliable than +R
I am about to fix anerror 16 box myself so will do a tut on it later today.

This post has been edited by Chancer: Dec 16 2005, 02:25 PM

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »

Tried booting with slayer disc with no luck. It seems as just when the disc is about to start it jumps to error 16. I'll have to get my hands on some DVD-r discs to try.

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »

Thought of something now, if i put the burned disc in the computer dvd drive, should windows explorer show the files on the disc or are they in some special xbox file system. Came to think about it after i burned a slayer disc, and i viewed it in explorer and it shows up as empty.

This post has been edited by habu23: Dec 16 2005, 05:58 PM

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 05:36:00 AM »

After trying a few days with different discs, i think my xbox just can't start any discs.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »

Could it be something hardware related (dvd reader or harddrive) that is the problem?

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »

Possibly your DVD drive.  Were you getting occasional Disc Read Errors (before your xbox screwed up)?

As Chancer pointed out, AID doesn't always work on coldboots, but Slayer's usually does. Since your xbox can't read either installer disc, I'd start taking a look at your dvd drive.

habu23

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

I think it was a softmod that went wrong. I was offered it cheap and i thought that chipping it would solve the problem. lol @ me.

Is there any way to put a pc dvd drive in the xbox or do i have to try to find a other xbox dvd?